Jumping in head first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
make sure to look for any odd wear to the lifter rollers that might indicate the lobes are flaking
Like this? :rollpicard:

580553_10150658674401674_544541673_9711181_330482461_n.jpg

there's fucking chunks taken out of this. cam looks marred to fuck as well.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
uhh..just like the one above. FML. what now?

I'm thinking pull the engine and grab the cam off this engine at the junk yard as well, but my parents are willing to work with me on this if it's something big. I want to make sure the car will go another 100K or more. not 25 and have to fix it again. no band aids. junking the car is not an option.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
from my understanding of how my stepdad explained it, the outer edge of the roller is hardened and over time the metal stresses and microscopic cracks begin to occur and eventually the metal "flakes" off leaving that damage and it eats the cam too as it rolls around and slings around.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Not being a dick(for once again) but honestly you can find a complete drop in engine for the amount of money you've spent and are going to spend on getting piece by piece. You also have to think, you may have replaced all these parts with new parts but your bottom end, block, and heads still all have 200k on them.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
and what are differences between 26 and 36, will all of my accessories work (p/s pump, a/c, are they the same water pumps, tensioner, etc) because all of that shit is new within the last year and a half and I want to make sure that it bolts on.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
You're already this far into it... just use what you got from the yard. You'll be fine since you aren't looking for performance really.

the l26 option isnt goin to be for performance its so he dosnt have to worry about if the head gasktes will seal or one of the lifters he pulled out of the junk yard motor will fail because they got dirty, its the smart move on a super low budget

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
and what are differences between 26 and 36, will all of my accessories work (p/s pump, a/c, are they the same water pumps, tensioner, etc) because all of that shit is new within the last year and a half and I want to make sure that it bolts on.

The L26 is just the newer version on the L36 that you currently have. They are basically the same except for the L26 have the aluminum oil pan, aluminum intake manifold and the drive by wire throttle body. All the accessories bolt up the same.

The only items that you should reuse, and just to make it simple, is your original intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injectors and fuel rail. Basically your top end bull shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info