Jumping in head first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
make sure to look for any odd wear to the lifter rollers that might indicate the lobes are flaking.
make sure to use razorblades with the valley protected with towels, do not use any 3m roloc type discs
i do hope you canceled spark during your diagnostic routine and you didnt hear a difference in the noise which would indicate a rod bearing
soaking lifters doesnt do shit, you physically have to pull the whole plunger and disc assembly out and clean everything with kerosene/solvent and blowdry the parts as you asseble em to keep rag lint out of em

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Why put in 100k lifters when you've had one fail? I understand being on a budget, but lifters are not that expensive. And are you sure it was a bad lifer? It would suck to go though all of this and still have the problem. Good luck.

I have $240 for everything. Gotta make it work.. I feel the same way but anything is better than what was in my car IMO

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
make sure to look for any odd wear to the lifter rollers that might indicate the lobes are flaking.
make sure to use razorblades with the valley protected with towels, do not use any 3m roloc type discs
i do hope you canceled spark during your diagnostic routine and you didnt hear a difference in the noise which would indicate a rod bearing
soaking lifters doesnt do shit, you physically have to pull the whole plunger and disc assembly out and clean everything with kerosene/solvent and blowdry the parts as you asseble em to keep rag lint out of em

Is it hard to do? I noticed the small retainer clip holding it all in, I can't imagine it'd be terribly hard to get out.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
a set of 12 new ones (i'm not gonna replace one and let the old sit) was $250+ through GM.

as kj said. this 100k set of stuff lived a much easier life than my stuff saw in less than 70k of being in the car. that's why i'm ok with it. i beat the living fuck out of this car and drive the fuck out of it too. my gf lives 60 miles away and i make that round trip 2-3x/wk, i do some mobile detailing on the side to keep a little money in my pocket when i can actually find work and i didn't have much to work with. so this will have to do. searched 3 yards and lifted dozens of valvecovers and i finally found an engine i was happy enough to take stuff out of.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Is it hard to do? I noticed the small retainer clip holding it all in, I can't imagine it'd be terribly hard to get out.
yup the clip comes out and the pushrod cup and metering disc come out easiy, then you use some compressed air to remove the plunger then clean the bugger out, blow through the plunger checkball a few times, redunk in solvent and blow off putting everything onto a clean piece of paper to keep lint off it, reassemble compress cup with old pushrod and reinstall clip.

of course rebuilding or replacing the lifters wont help much if the damage is on a cam lobe.
IMG_2306.jpg

ill ask again, you did cancel spark on each cylinder and listen for the noise to quiet which would indicate a bad rod bearing... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info