jalopnik: best full size pickup under 40k

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I stopped and looked at a 2015 f150 xlt. Just basic options, cloth seats, etc. Sticker was $44k. I thought that was crazy.

When I bought my '13 new, two years ago in July, the sticker was almost $60k, but according to the tax paperwork, I ended up paying about $40k for it.

The mpg argument makes me laugh. They get exactly what they are rated at. Actually, I've gotten quite a bit better. Remember, that's an epa rating from government tests. There are specific parameters that are used during the test. You cant expect to get the same mileage when you drive 70mph everywhere, when the epa rates it at 55mph.

The ecoboost will pull every other 1/2 ton under the table. You just need to decide if the extra fuel is worth it. If you aren't going to pull, there is no reason to get something that makes this kind of power. If you're going to actually use it, you will love the ecoboost.

i don't get how the mpg argument makes you laugh.... in testing the ecoboosts have shown to get significantly worse mileage than what they are rated for... the gm's and ram get in line with what they are rated for :dunno:

you do know the tests are performed by the manufacturers though right...

and lets be honest... ford has lied about their mpg ratings in the past- much like most manufacturers probably have but they have probably gotten away with it.

additionally, i wouldn't be so quick to say the ecoboost would pull "every other 1/2 ton under the table"... the hemi 8-speed combo and the gm 6.2 8-speed combo's are nothing to be fucked with.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Do people really car about MPG in trucks or is it just something to nit pick? I mean these are $40-$50K+ trucks. If you are concerned with the extra 1-2 mpg breaking the bank, well then you can't afford it.

I do. The only reason I have a truck is to haul my sled. I thought about getting a car until the Eco-Diesel came out. It is nice to get the same mpg as one of the cars I would have bought but still have a decent size truck that can tow.

I didn't buy it to be fast so that argument could be considered irrelevant. It is a pick-up/family car. I have my GN to go fast in.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Do people really car about MPG in trucks or is it just something to nit pick? I mean these are $40-$50K+ trucks. If you are concerned with the extra 1-2 mpg breaking the bank, well then you can't afford it.

:rofl: come on man.

many people care about mpg in trucks. as you can see quite a bit here, and in testing...

20k miles per year. 15 mpg vs 17mpg at 2.50 a gallon is 1,333.33 gallons vs 1176.47.... 156.86 gallon difference. or $392- which spread that across the time someone owns a vehicle- let's say 5-6 years...

$1,960-$2,352.... or. in the realm of the prices it costs on most of these trucks to get the more efficient/powerful motors.

$1200 for the 3.5 ecoboost vs the 2.7

$2495 for the 6.2/8 speed vs the 5.3/6 speed

$1650 for the hemi/8 speed vs the v6/8 speed.

not to mention increased resale value down the road as well.

2 mpg matters... and 5-6 matters even more.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I stopped and looked at a 2015 f150 xlt. Just basic options, cloth seats, etc. Sticker was $44k. I thought that was crazy.

When I bought my '13 new, two years ago in July, the sticker was almost $60k, but according to the tax paperwork, I ended up paying about $40k for it.

The mpg argument makes me laugh. They get exactly what they are rated at. Actually, I've gotten quite a bit better. Remember, that's an epa rating from government tests. There are specific parameters that are used during the test. You cant expect to get the same mileage when you drive 70mph everywhere, when the epa rates it at 55mph.

The ecoboost will pull every other 1/2 ton under the table. You just need to decide if the extra fuel is worth it. If you aren't going to pull, there is no reason to get something that makes this kind of power. If you're going to actually use it, you will love the ecoboost. Most of the miles I put on are from pulling. If I just used it for a daily commute, I'd take a look at the dodge with the v6 gas.

i don't get how the mpg argument makes you laugh.... in testing the ecoboosts have shown to get significantly worse mileage than what they are rated for... the gm's and ram get in line with what they are rated for :dunno:

and lets be honest... ford has lied about their mpg ratings in the past- much like most manufacturers probably have but they have probably gotten away with it.

additionally, i wouldn't be so quick to say the ecoboost would pull "every other 1/2 ton under the table"... the hemi 8-speed combo and the gm 6.2 8-speed combo's are nothing to be fucked with.

to elaborate on this again...

definitely not a "pull it under the table" situation at all.

davis pass with 6xxx lbs behind the trucks,

6.2/8 speed chevy- 19.92 seconds

3.5 ecoboost- 20.76

1 second could go either way easily in a test like this of this length. to say though that the ecoboost simply pulls everything under the table is a huge overstatement.

2015 Annual Physical: Davis Dam Towing - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

2015 Light-Duty V-8 Challenge: Davis Dam - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
:rofl: come on man.

many people care about mpg in trucks. as you can see quite a bit here, and in testing...

20k miles per year. 15 mpg vs 17mpg at 2.50 a gallon is 1,333.33 gallons vs 1176.47.... 156.86 gallon difference. or $392- which spread that across the time someone owns a vehicle- let's say 5-6 years...

$1,960-$2,352.... or. in the realm of the prices it costs on most of these trucks to get the more efficient/powerful motors.

$1200 for the 3.5 ecoboost vs the 2.7

$2495 for the 6.2/8 speed vs the 5.3/6 speed

$1650 for the hemi/8 speed vs the v6/8 speed.

not to mention increased resale value down the road as well.

2 mpg matters... and 5-6 matters even more.

$392 a year isn't much and wouldn't sway me from a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. It's such a small percentage of the purchase price. My point is that it's not a deciding factor like capabilities like towing, payload, etc.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

I can't find any tests that show significantly worse mpgs. Only owners that can't read their window stickers.

The tests are then confirmed by the epa in their own testing facilities.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
$392 a year isn't much and wouldn't sway me from a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. It's such a small percentage of the purchase price. My point is that it's not a deciding factor like capabilities like towing, payload, etc.

i think most of this thread and truck threads have brought up mpg... including a significant amount of people who have bought new trucks or are looking for new trucks.

it is a big deal.

you'd buy a ford no matter what due to your blind nutswinging.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wanna run one on the track back-to-back Stock vs Livernois tune. the magazines had the 6.2 8spd like a tick ahead at the 1320' mark. Both mid 14's stock.

so fucking awesome.

you have to think though too, that the 6.2/8 speed have some left in their tunes/exhaust/intakes.

lightly modded crew cab trucks getting 20mpg and running high 13s and pulling 12k +

what a fucking awesome time to be buying trucks. :rofl:

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
so fucking awesome.

you have to think though too, that the 6.2/8 speed have some left in their tunes/exhaust/intakes.

lightly modded crew cab trucks getting 20mpg and running high 13s and pulling 12k +

what a fucking awesome time to be buying trucks. :rofl:

Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi's with a 3.92 gear and 8 speed, CAI, TB and Hemifever tune are running 13's as well. :pedobear:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info