Its another installment of post your internet speedz!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Upgraded to Comcast 400 along with Google Wifi (mesh).

Speeds are near identical wired and testing on my phone...I've almost hit 500 on both computer and pixel 2 a few times. Mesh is fucking LEGIT.

I didnt need the speed but I needed better coverage in the house and so far, mesh is blowing my mind :rofl:

Google mesh is no joke and one of the best things I’ve bought for the house.

welp im convinced.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
SO, I will need to do more testing but I may have just discovered something.

I had Guest Wifi enabled. I turned it off and have been testing in my office (1st floor, right next to the pain puck), second floor (2nd puck is in living room) and 3rd flood (last puck is in my bedroom).

1st floor, speeds are back to matching wired (400-500)
2nd floor, over 300 down
3rd floor, 250-350 down

I then tested walking from 2nd floor up to 3rd floor and you can watch the speeds slow down a bit while on the stairs and then it will ramp back up to as high as it can on the 3rd floor.

So basically what I'm getting at, and again, I'll need to test tomorrow....Guest Wifi might have been fucking things up. I can get 300+ all over my house over wifi right now. Rock solid signal. Fingers crossed.

Testing using my phone.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Devices cant just connect to wifi without credentials unless its a hacker neighbor cracking it everytime

That's what I'm more worried about, as I don't really have any android devices, save one that I show as a separate device. A bunch of Fire TV's, 4 iPhones :)roflpicard:), an iPad, an Android tablet, a couple of windows work laptops, an Apple laptop...and I think that's it. And I can account for all of those, EXCEPT for that one stupid Android device...I thought it COULD be my Vizio TV, but I've not gone through and changed the password on that. Then maybe I thought my EcoBee, but I show that too...I wish I could just block the MAC, like I could on my old router...

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
That's what I'm more worried about, as I don't really have any android devices, save one that I show as a separate device. A bunch of Fire TV's, 4 iPhones :)roflpicard:), an iPad, an Android tablet, a couple of windows work laptops, an Apple laptop...and I think that's it. And I can account for all of those, EXCEPT for that one stupid Android device...I thought it COULD be my Vizio TV, but I've not gone through and changed the password on that. Then maybe I thought my EcoBee, but I show that too...I wish I could just block the MAC, like I could on my old router...
Post the MAC later. Ill do some digging.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I need to test it over the weekend, but I had a strong signal in my buddies garage across the street last night. Be curious how far it extends into his house. On my old asus, we could get it on the driveway, partially in the garage, and on his desk off the 2nd floor. But it was very spotty.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The what now?
The test continually checks latency from start to finish (not just at the beginning, like most other speed tests). If the latency rises dramatically during the download or upload section, it indicates your connection has become less responsive when fully loaded. This is bufferbloat. The degree of excess latency generates a bufferbloat grade between A+ (none) and F (heaps!).

Bufferbloat is undesirable latency caused by routers and cable/DSL modems*buffering more data than necessary. It occurs at any bottleneck in a network: the most common place is the connection between your router/modem and your ISP.

Speedtest doesnt test bufferbloat but it can have major impact on speeds while downloading/heavily streaming (4k)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Is it bad I only want to upgrade my connection for the upload? :hs: Still blows me away I can get over 170 down but 11 up.

I was hoping Comcast was going to bump everyone again since my internet went down Tuesday night and the app said it was scheduled maintenance. No speed boost. :tear:

Thread Info