• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Ipod

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
when buying one of those things whats the best one to get and then a mid-grade one to get???

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
What do you want?? A cheap MP3 player?? Small?? A screen??

The Ipod shuffle is about as big as a bic lighter. It will hold about 50-75 songs and only costs $99 dollars. Downside is that it has no screen so you dont know what your listening to.

All the other Ipods IMO are the same cept for the one that plays the music video.

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
So the screen shows whats playing on it and such.. I was looking at them for an xmas gift.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by staceyyearsich@Dec 6 2005, 09:06 AM
how many gb's is good??  Is there a certain amount I want on it?
[snapback]105960[/snapback]​
It depends on how many songs you want to fit on the ipod, more GB = more songs.

dsk727

Reaction score
plus don't forget to research and serch the net, there are many other mp3 players out there besides ipod, ipod has too much hype! :)

Fish

Reaction score
I still recommend the Ipod. If anything, get the shuffle. 100 bucks gets 50-75 songs and its small. So you can use it to work out, walk, put it in your purse, whatever. Plus the USB plug is right on it so there are no extra cords.

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
So you just can't see what its playing?? But you can just skip through the music right???

Also is this little thing going to be hard to get my hands on?? since its xmas time or no??

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
Someone was telling me the "best" is the apple ipod?? is that true?

Or is Sony the better ??

Just asking cause I have no clue what I am buying LOL!

Where do you get the music from to put on there?? DO you buy that extra

frankenstinesy

Reaction score
I didn't even know Sony made mp3 players. I want an Ipod basically because it seems easy to use and there are so many accessories for it so if I ever needed anything, I'm sure I could find it. I think I heard Dell DJ's are supposed to be good too. I was also looking at Samsung and iRiver as well.

Fish

Reaction score
You can still control the songs with the shuffle. You just cant see whats playing since there is no screen. They shouldnt be hard to get ahold of. They have been out for a few months.

alexgtp

Reaction score
Get the IPOD NANO. I dont really see you having the need for movies and or videos.

The nano has a screen that shows the album cover..title of songs..and artist. And it has some nice features. And is 2GB so it hold a lot of music.

ALSO get the protective cover. Those nanos get scratched like a mofo.

frankenstinesy

Reaction score
You can get a free iPod Nano if you sign up for a qualifying account at Chase. But the catch is to get the Nano you need a minimum deposit of $25,000. lol. I feel that if you have $25,000 to deposit you prolly don't need a free iPod nano.

Time to take a $25,000 loan out, lol.

Royalgtp

Reaction score
I River was rated best by consumer reports.....

I like the black nano personally.......

Sony MP3 plays on a different format then others I heard and you are limited

Toasty

Reaction score
The shuffle really isnt worth it, to be honest... youre gonna pay 100 bucks for 512mb. (1/2 gig) or 130 for 1 gig... whereas the new ipod nano (smaller than std ipod) still has color screen and starts with a 2 gig model for 199, 4 gig model at 249. most all of the ipod prices are standard across the board, you might find a sale on them sometimes but i wouldnt guarantee it.

As far as how big you want it to be, if you figure on average, an mp3 encoded to 128kbps (somewhere between cassette tape and cd quality audio) should range between 3 and 6 mb per song, so lets just say 5 mb for my example...
and on average, you might say, a cd has 10-12 songs, so were going to say, 10 for my example. so if you figure 5 mb a piece, and 10 per cd, thats 50 mb per cd, on average, some will definitely be larger. So if you have a 1 gig player, you might get 20 cd's worth on it (200 songs or so)
obviously this is a generous average, but you get the idea.

ipods are definetly the popular mainstream choice, but as others said there are other alternatives (though they don't have as many cool accessories) creative's nomad line has some good units, as well as dell's unit. the other players in the market have lost steam and may not last much longer. You will need to consider what the user will want to do with the mp3 player. If it is important to be able to plug the player into a car stereo, the ipod may be a better choice, since there are adapters to allow you to control the ipod thru the car stereo

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Dec 6 2005, 02:02 PM
The shuffle really isnt worth it, to be honest... youre gonna pay 100 bucks for 512mb. (1/2 gig) or 130 for 1 gig... whereas the new ipod nano (smaller than std ipod) still has color screen and starts with a 2 gig model for 199, 4 gig model at 249. most all of the ipod prices are standard across the board, you might find a sale on them sometimes but i wouldnt guarantee it.

As far as how big you want it to be, if you figure on average, an mp3 encoded to 128kbps (somewhere between cassette tape and cd quality audio) should range between 3 and 6 mb per song, so lets just say 5 mb for my example...
and on average, you might say, a cd has 10-12 songs, so were going to say, 10 for my example. so if you figure 5 mb a piece, and 10 per cd, thats 50 mb per cd, on average, some will definitely be larger. So if you have a 1 gig player, you might get 20 cd's worth on it (200 songs or so)

ipods are definetly the popular mainstream choice, but as others said there are other alternatives (though they don't have as many cool accessories) creative's nomad line has some good units, as well as dell's unit. the other players in the market have lost steam and may not last much longer. You will need to consider what the user will want to do with the mp3 player. If it is important to be able to plug the player into a car stereo, the ipod may be a better choice, since there are adapters to allow you to control the ipod thru the car stereo
[snapback]105996[/snapback]​

Well I was going to get the Ipod shuffle for a gift she just wants to use it when she works out and stuff like that... so that would be great for that sort of thing don't u think?? Can this be hooked up in the car as well??

Dreamcat78

Reaction score
Jeff just got the nano..its relly cool and they are user friendly meaning stacey could work one LOL they hook up in your car you just need to buy the accesorie...Go to the apple store and play with them...The sony one is cool too but only comes in 1G as their biggest size... I am getting the ipod for more songs:)

horist

Geek
Reaction score
I've gotta Creative Labs ZEN MP3 Player... 30GB hard drive, works great... I wouldn't touch an ipod w/a 100 foot pole (well maybe with a 3 foot bat :D)

Mike --- The Anti-Crapple

Dreamcat78

Reaction score
mike thats cuz you dont like apple LMAO
I think they are ok i have waited for years to get an MP3 player and now i think they have done all their tweaking and have a better product now... JMO

Toasty

Reaction score
Originally posted by staceyyearsich+Dec 6 2005, 03:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gmcjimmyguy
@Dec 6 2005, 02:02 PM

[snapback]105996[/snapback]​

Well I was going to get the Ipod shuffle for a gift she just wants to use it when she works out and stuff like that... so that would be great for that sort of thing don't u think?? Can this be hooked up in the car as well??
[snapback]105999[/snapback]​
[/b]

while you can probably play the shuffle thru the car stereo via fm modulator, its not really a good solution.
I understand your dilema, but if you are trying to decide between 130 for 1 gig on the shuffle, and 2 gig for 199 for the nano, the nano is the way to go, and you have the option of direct connection for car stereo too

staceyyearsich

Reaction score
Yea thats true.. but I am not looking to spend 200bucks for a xmas present lol!! Its a friend..not a family member or nothing lol

Toasty

Reaction score
i would more reccomend a creative zen micro or similar then, less expensive than ipod, and you get a display

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom