3800 Ipod

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
What do you want?? A cheap MP3 player?? Small?? A screen??

The Ipod shuffle is about as big as a bic lighter. It will hold about 50-75 songs and only costs $99 dollars. Downside is that it has no screen so you dont know what your listening to.

All the other Ipods IMO are the same cept for the one that plays the music video.

frankenstinesy

Regular
Nov 14, 2008
I didn't even know Sony made mp3 players. I want an Ipod basically because it seems easy to use and there are so many accessories for it so if I ever needed anything, I'm sure I could find it. I think I heard Dell DJ's are supposed to be good too. I was also looking at Samsung and iRiver as well.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Get the IPOD NANO. I dont really see you having the need for movies and or videos.

The nano has a screen that shows the album cover..title of songs..and artist. And it has some nice features. And is 2GB so it hold a lot of music.

ALSO get the protective cover. Those nanos get scratched like a mofo.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
The shuffle really isnt worth it, to be honest... youre gonna pay 100 bucks for 512mb. (1/2 gig) or 130 for 1 gig... whereas the new ipod nano (smaller than std ipod) still has color screen and starts with a 2 gig model for 199, 4 gig model at 249. most all of the ipod prices are standard across the board, you might find a sale on them sometimes but i wouldnt guarantee it.

As far as how big you want it to be, if you figure on average, an mp3 encoded to 128kbps (somewhere between cassette tape and cd quality audio) should range between 3 and 6 mb per song, so lets just say 5 mb for my example...
and on average, you might say, a cd has 10-12 songs, so were going to say, 10 for my example. so if you figure 5 mb a piece, and 10 per cd, thats 50 mb per cd, on average, some will definitely be larger. So if you have a 1 gig player, you might get 20 cd's worth on it (200 songs or so)
obviously this is a generous average, but you get the idea.

ipods are definetly the popular mainstream choice, but as others said there are other alternatives (though they don't have as many cool accessories) creative's nomad line has some good units, as well as dell's unit. the other players in the market have lost steam and may not last much longer. You will need to consider what the user will want to do with the mp3 player. If it is important to be able to plug the player into a car stereo, the ipod may be a better choice, since there are adapters to allow you to control the ipod thru the car stereo

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Dec 6 2005, 02:02 PM
The shuffle really isnt worth it, to be honest... youre gonna pay 100 bucks for 512mb. (1/2 gig) or 130 for 1 gig... whereas the new ipod nano (smaller than std ipod) still has color screen and starts with a 2 gig model for 199, 4 gig model at 249. most all of the ipod prices are standard across the board, you might find a sale on them sometimes but i wouldnt guarantee it.

As far as how big you want it to be, if you figure on average, an mp3 encoded to 128kbps (somewhere between cassette tape and cd quality audio) should range between 3 and 6 mb per song, so lets just say 5 mb for my example...
and on average, you might say, a cd has 10-12 songs, so were going to say, 10 for my example. so if you figure 5 mb a piece, and 10 per cd, thats 50 mb per cd, on average, some will definitely be larger. So if you have a 1 gig player, you might get 20 cd's worth on it (200 songs or so)

ipods are definetly the popular mainstream choice, but as others said there are other alternatives (though they don't have as many cool accessories) creative's nomad line has some good units, as well as dell's unit. the other players in the market have lost steam and may not last much longer. You will need to consider what the user will want to do with the mp3 player. If it is important to be able to plug the player into a car stereo, the ipod may be a better choice, since there are adapters to allow you to control the ipod thru the car stereo
[snapback]105996[/snapback]​

Well I was going to get the Ipod shuffle for a gift she just wants to use it when she works out and stuff like that... so that would be great for that sort of thing don't u think?? Can this be hooked up in the car as well??

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by staceyyearsich+Dec 6 2005, 03:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gmcjimmyguy
@Dec 6 2005, 02:02 PM

[snapback]105996[/snapback]​

Well I was going to get the Ipod shuffle for a gift she just wants to use it when she works out and stuff like that... so that would be great for that sort of thing don't u think?? Can this be hooked up in the car as well??
[snapback]105999[/snapback]​
[/b]

while you can probably play the shuffle thru the car stereo via fm modulator, its not really a good solution.
I understand your dilema, but if you are trying to decide between 130 for 1 gig on the shuffle, and 2 gig for 199 for the nano, the nano is the way to go, and you have the option of direct connection for car stereo too

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info