BUILD #imwithher. Frank’s ‘07 Prius adventures.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
The regenerative braking and electric motor use at low speed is why these cars all get better city mileage ratings than highway. a 2007 Prius is rated at 60 city/ 51 highway. Whether those numbers are obtainable I’m not sure yet. The driving I mostly do is 60-65 with zero traffic with 2-10+ miles between stop signs or lights and I’m averaging 51...

When my friend drove this exact car home from the auction in stop and go suburban traffic it did read 58.6, so it’s definitely believable, I just haven’t done it myself for any extended period of time.

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes sense, I do think the hybrid route seems alot smarter tho. I hate to admit I kinda like it now lol

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good option for those with range anxiety and such. For the distances I drive, an EV just isn’t feasible.

The technology is awesome, and keep in mind Toyota pretty much has a hybrid version of all of their models now a days aside from the trucks... so you can get that same tech (but with 15 years of improvement) in a car that actually just looks like a normal car. Back when these were new I think the Prius, Camry and Highlander were the only options. All of their other hybrid models look just like their gasoline counterparts.

This is the same tech in that new Ford Maverick pickup as well, which I have one ordered as of right now... but with all the parts interruptions and labor shortages as well as it being a totally new vehicle, I’ll probably pass on the first model year (2022) and wait a bit. If it’s anything like the Bronco rollout, I’ll just sit tight lol.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, I do think the hybrid route seems alot smarter tho. I hate to admit I kinda like it now lol
What makes it such an easy choice is how bulletproof these cars are as well, which is not always the case with hybrids... Toyota just has their shit together like you’d expect. Plenty of 300-400k mile examples out there still on the road. And now that DIY battery repairs and balancing is common knowledge, if the battery does go bad it’s pretty easy to fix. You just use a scanner app to find which cells went bad, do the math to get an average voltage of your remaining good cells and hop on eBay and buy used cells that match that voltage to replace your dead cells in the pack.

I ordered the Carista OBD Bluetooth dongle today. I can plug that into the car and then use my phone as a scanner. There’s an app called Dr. Prius that essentially gives you dealer level access for like $15 or something super reasonable. Does super accurate battery life tests, parameter changes, etc. So once that comes in I’ll be able to get a really good idea of what I’m working with.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you’re diligent you can usually find them on marketplace with a “bad battery” for under a grand and do the repair yourself for 2-300 in cells if you were wanting to get into one cheap.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you’re diligent you can usually find them on marketplace with a “bad battery” for under a grand and do the repair yourself for 2-300 in cells if you were wanting to get into one cheap.
that's what my buddy did back in the day with one of his.

but the repair was even better... the junkyard he went to sold the entire battery to him as a "normal car battery" because they had no other way to code it in their point of sale system... so he got the entire fucking battery out of a relatively low mile car for like 25-50 bucks :rofl:

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good option for those with range anxiety and such. For the distances I drive, an EV just isn’t feasible.

The technology is awesome, and keep in mind Toyota pretty much has a hybrid version of all of their models now a days aside from the trucks... so you can get that same tech (but with 15 years of improvement) in a car that actually just looks like a normal car. Back when these were new I think the Prius, Camry and Highlander were the only options. All of their other hybrid models look just like their gasoline counterparts.

This is the same tech in that new Ford Maverick pickup as well, which I have one ordered as of right now... but with all the parts interruptions and labor shortages as well as it being a totally new vehicle, I’ll probably pass on the first model year (2022) and wait a bit. If it’s anything like the Bronco rollout, I’ll just sit tight lol.
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like it will fill your needs quite well.

I keep saying if I were in the market for a new smaller SUV it would be a RAV4 Prime all damn day.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Nice prius looks clean. I feel like the older I get the more practicality I seek. I drive a ton and gas milage is starting to get important. Especailly since gas will probably be $5 a gallon before Christmas.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling and I took his prius up to the northwoods to fish the other weekened. Two bros, rear seats down, loaded up with shit, canoe on the roof. 30mpg at 75+.

He said they don't get great highway milage if you drive that fast but still was pretty impressive knowing thats alot of drag on the roof.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling and I took his prius up to the northwoods to fish the other weekened. Two bros, rear seats down, loaded up with shit, canoe on the roof. 30mpg at 75+.

He said they don't get great highway milage if you drive that fast but still was pretty impressive knowing thats alot of drag on the roof.
Something is up with the car I think too. Need to get it up on jack stands and check if any of the brakes are dragging. The tires def knocked off 5-7mpg. I tried hypermiling my commute all last week and struggled to stay around 42mpg. My city commute before lift and driving somewhat carefully was 50-56mpg. Feel like I should be upper 30s low 40s as long as I’m not doing an 80mph cruise

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Carista comes highly recommended from my friend that does all the battery replacements and such.

I love the idea of the lift kit but I don’t want to kill the mileage. I’m super curious to put it on the highway at 75-80 and see what it does.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
As we get into the rainy months out here you will all quickly realize why I’m selling the nicer of the two cars lol. If they start pulling corn out and we get rain you can expect it to look something like this lol.

D9EEA88E-5212-4103-B5F9-B965F6F73512.jpeg

Lead Pipe

110% Flex
Reaction score
I didn't hate driving the Prius. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 3rd gen as a eco-daily at all.

Couple facts for ya:

When the gas range says zero, it's lying
You can drink a beer while driving one and no one will know
It will out run most 90's GM sedans

All comes from experience.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I didn't hate driving the Prius. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 3rd gen as a eco-daily at all.

Couple facts for ya:

When the gas range says zero, it's lying
You can drink a beer while driving one and no one will know
It will out run most 90's GM sedans

All comes from experience.
The 2nd gens don’t have distance to empty. Annoying.

Ive tried the beer trick already. Works as described.

Have not raced. Will report back.

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
First tank results.

401 miles
7.846 gallons

51.1 hand calculated MPG

Beats the computer by a bit. Surprised at the accuracy.

B793E8CD-1175-48CC-9C4D-FD8D39AF3B58.jpeg

DD0743B2-8542-4A9B-8620-667092CEE9AC.jpeg

OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I really need to get weather tech mats for the front. I’ve already about ruined the carpeted floor mat.

GF wants to go drive it shopping today. Is it bad I don’t want her to take it because she’s going to fuck up my MPG’s?

My God I’ve become a lame human being.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I really need to get weather tech mats for the front. I’ve already about ruined the carpeted floor mat.

GF wants to go drive it shopping today. Is it bad I don’t want her to take it because she’s going to fuck up my MPG’s?

My God I’ve become a lame human being.
It’ll do that to you.

same thing with a fast car, it just begs to be pushed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom