📸 Photography IceCream visits Alaska

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
So I have a cousin that lives in Fairbanks Alaska. She has been there about 15 years now, she moved there right out of college (she is originally from Huntley). Well she finally convinced me to just book a flight and come see her.

So I went to the airport right after work on Friday and found a direct flight. It was only 6 hours so not too bad at all actually. The 3 hour time difference didn’t seem to phase me right away because it was still nice and light there.

Well she picked me up at the airport and we went straight to one of her friends house for just a small get together. Was awesome but didn’t get back to her place till about 01:30 Alaska time and that was me being up for 24 hours straight.
IMG_0972.jpeg

She just moved to this house, it was a neighbors and she told them if they ever wanted to sell, she wants it. Well that happened and the place is pretty awesome. Huge garage, spare bedroom, wood and fuel oil heaters, 3 acres, and 1000 gallon water tank in the ground.
IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

So after a nap we got up in the morning and packed up for a trip to go blueberry picking…. On the Denali highway. It was a short 5 hour drive, I’m not lying it felt like maybe 2 hours probably because of all the random things I was looking at out the windows.
IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0977.jpeg

This random dude driving down the highway.
IMG_0978.jpeg

Drove by an air force base but the wild fires made for a very unclear day by Fairbanks.
IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

This is a rest stop, well a fancy outhouse, but beautiful.
IMG_0987.jpeg

Stopped for a Bison burger and there was this creepy guy… and Ronald.
IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_1008.jpeg

Another rest stop.
IMG_1009.jpeg
Apparently this was a good place to eat till it went of business…. 2 months ago… 🤣🤣. I guess this is how it’s always looked.
IMG_1017.jpeg

Driving on the Denali highway.
IMG_3735.jpeg

Our camping spot for the night. We met up with two of her friends. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life were from this trip. Even random people in the stores.
IMG_3704.jpeg

We played around in the water, then just hung out by a camp fire. When we woke up it was raining but then stopped a couple hours later. My cousin and I packed up and got back to the trip. We basically made a huge loop and followed back around. The second half on the way home had even better views.
IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_1036.jpeg

Nothing like a wood bridge to cross all the glacier run off waters.
IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

Of course we had some small drama with a flat tire, but she carried a plug kit, air pump and slime with her besides having a full size spare so I was able to get us going again pretty quick. She has since ordered some new K02’s.
IMG_1049.jpeg

We stopped at some pizza place, honestly one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had, amazing.
IMG_1051.jpeg

And the gas prices there on Aug 6th.
We made it back to her house by about 9 pm without any other issues. To be continued…

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Once back in Fairbanks she unfortunately had to do some work. She is a professor at UAF for some fancy veterinary shit. I helped her move her office and set some things up. We had some Thai food. Then I took her truck and went exploring.
The first thing I noticed they had in Fairbanks was an auto museum, well okay I’m curious.
IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Chevy swapped Fords since the 1920’s 🤣
IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1074.jpeg

After there I basically just drove around to get a feel for the place. She really wants me to move up there so I promised I’d actually look around and stuff. I didn’t take a ton of pics after this because I was driving a lot and had no idea where I was most of the time lol. So the rest of the pics will be random as fuck.
I did do a fair amount on her property to help out because she had work and I didn’t mind doing it at all.
IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

This place had a clean as fuck squarebody and obs tow truck.
IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

This is one of her dogs, both are retired sled dogs. This is Spudnick and he has three legs but still pulls on a leash like he’s trying to win a race. He’s a beast and awesome so we went on my walks together.
IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

Another pizza place.
IMG_1134.jpeg

It was right on top of a hanger which was neat. Pizza was okay, but everything else about the place was great.

That’s about all the pics I took… random notes..
- Mosquitoes are insane
- There is zero wind in Fairbanks and it’s kind of Erie
- I saw Moose, porcupine, beavers, loads of fish, and we went grouse hunting but didn’t see any.
- I ate like a king with all the fresh meat and veggies there. The food just tastes more fresh, my cousin made fresh blueberry pie with the blueberries we picked and she made chili with 3 pounds of Moose and 1 pound of Caribou meat. It was fantastic.
- I do want to go back in winter and do all the fun winter stuff.

TLDR…… go to Alaska, it’s awesome 10/10

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So I have a cousin that lives in Fairbanks Alaska. She has been there about 15 years now, she moved there right out of college (she is originally from Huntley). Well she finally convinced me to just book a flight and come see her.

So I went to the airport right after work on Friday and found a direct flight. It was only 6 hours so not too bad at all actually. The 3 hour time difference didn’t seem to phase me right away because it was still nice and light there.

Well she picked me up at the airport and we went straight to one of her friends house for just a small get together. Was awesome but didn’t get back to her place till about 01:30 Alaska time and that was me being up for 24 hours straight.
View attachment 175051

She just moved to this house, it was a neighbors and she told them if they ever wanted to sell, she wants it. Well that happened and the place is pretty awesome. Huge garage, spare bedroom, wood and fuel oil heaters, 3 acres, and 1000 gallon water tank in the ground.
View attachment 175052
View attachment 175053

So after a nap we got up in the morning and packed up for a trip to go blueberry picking…. On the Denali highway. It was a short 5 hour drive, I’m not lying it felt like maybe 2 hours probably because of all the random things I was looking at out the windows.
View attachment 175056
View attachment 175057

This random dude driving down the highway.
View attachment 175058

Drove by an air force base but the wild fires made for a very unclear day by Fairbanks.
View attachment 175060

View attachment 175061

This is a rest stop, well a fancy outhouse, but beautiful.
View attachment 175062

Stopped for a Bison burger and there was this creepy guy… and Ronald.
View attachment 175063

View attachment 175064

Another rest stop.
View attachment 175065
Apparently this was a good place to eat till it went of business…. 2 months ago… 🤣🤣. I guess this is how it’s always looked.
View attachment 175067

Driving on the Denali highway.
View attachment 175071

Our camping spot for the night. We met up with two of her friends. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life were from this trip. Even random people in the stores.
View attachment 175072

We played around in the water, then just hung out by a camp fire. When we woke up it was raining but then stopped a couple hours later. My cousin and I packed up and got back to the trip. We basically made a huge loop and followed back around. The second half on the way home had even better views.
View attachment 175074
View attachment 175075
Nothing like a wood bridge to cross all the glacier run off waters.
View attachment 175076
View attachment 175077
Of course we had some small drama with a flat tire, but she carried a plug kit, air pump and slime with her besides having a full size spare so I was able to get us going again pretty quick. She has since ordered some new K02’s.
View attachment 175078
We stopped at some pizza place, honestly one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had, amazing.
View attachment 175080
And the gas prices there on Aug 6th.
We made it back to her house by about 9 pm without any other issues. To be continued…

View attachment 175058

View attachment 175065
All the pictures I see of Alaska feel so..... empty :rofl:

Fantastic views though

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I recall you mentioning Alaska a few months back... Is that something fruiting..?
It’s not, I was offered the job, but it was a $14/hr pay cut…. So solid pass. But after going I am intrigued to look at other possible jobs. Her neighbor is retired and owns three gold claims, he offered me work just to hang out with him and help 🤣. Probably not great pay either but I bet it’s a fun life.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
very freaking awesome.

ChrisRac ChrisRac
Fairbanks is a completely different world and lifestyle than where I was in Anchorage. The AFB he posted is Eielson which I had been to a few times when I was stationed at Elmendorf (now JBER). I avoided FBX like the plague if I could.

These are great shots IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin and it sounds like you had quite the experience. If you go back in winter, go to Chena. There is no experience in the world like watching the lights when you’re in a hot spring and the water temp is +100° and the air temp is -40° or colder.

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Fairbanks is a completely different world and lifestyle than where I was in Anchorage. The AFB he posted is Eielson which I had been to a few times when I was stationed at Elmendorf (now JBER). I avoided FBX like the plague if I could.

These are great shots IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin and it sounds like you had quite the experience. If you go back in winter, go to Chena. There is no experience in the world like watching the lights when you’re in a hot spring and the water temp is +100° and the air temp is -40° or colder.
I was told about the hot springs and does sound like a good place to visit. I did tell her to not treat me like a tourist so we just did a lot of local shit or stuff she normally does and it was great for me. I’ll definitely try to get out to Chena next time.

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
cool looking house. this feels more remote than i'd like to ever live but looks like a neat place to visit. pretty cool stuff in that museum too. no salmon? my favorite fishy
She had so much in the freezer. She did cook it for me one night, it was fantastic.
What I liked about her place is that she is not in town but probably only about 10 minutes from being at a Walmart or in the middle of town. She still has regular power and cable internet, but with the feel of living out in the wilderness. The only reason she has a water tank instead of a well is because the ground water there has some type of issue and not great for drinking.

Thread Info