I Hate Car Dealerships: Episode 5,003,432,343

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
https://www.yahoo.com/news/missouri-auto-dealers-association-hates-235253820.html

Article said:
America is under attack, but it’s not the Russians we need to be worried about. It’s car dealers. Not all car dealers are bad, but even the good ones are protected by bad laws, and all of them are protected by dealer associations, who are like ISIS, the IRS and cancer rolled into one.

All four horsemen of the American economic apocalypse — cronyism, cowardice, hypocrisy and protectionism — are represented by dealer associations. The worst of the lot, those of Texas, Michigan and Virginia, are now joined by Missouri’s MADA, whose legal victory over Tesla may deprive them of the right to sell cars in that state.

We need a new House on Un-American Activities Commission, this one focused on the anti-competitive forces that are the real Communists among us.

Competition is at the heart of American economic strength. The opposite of competition is Communism, central planning and failure. Competition is how the United States won the Cold War. It’s how and why species, technologies and business evolve and grow. It’s why homo sapiens are the dominant biped, the World Wide Web crushed the Minitel, and Google eclipsed AltaVista. It’s why everyone is scrambling to catch up to Tesla by embracing the technologies they’ve pioneered.

Dealer associations like MADA are terrified of competition, and by attempting to stifle it are hurting you, and weakening our auto sector and America itself.

In order to grasp MADA’s vulgar hypocrisy, let’s take a look at the MADA Board of Directors, a group whose leaders’ political donations show no apparent consistency other than to serve their own interests, not coincidentally representing brands behind the curve of where Tesla and the automotive industry are headed.

Outgoing MADA Chairman Bob Beine, representing Republic Ford, also owns an FCA franchise. FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne’s positions on autonomy and electrification are well known, and they’ve been on deathwatch so long jokes are no longer funny. Beine is a free marketeer when it suits him, having donated thousands to Republicans such as Missouri Senator Roy Blunt, Representative Billy Long, former Representative Melton Hancock, former Speaker of the House John Boehner, and former state treasurer Sarah Steelman.

But when it comes to Tesla, Beine hates free markets. Gotta protect those consumers from factory direct sales.

Dave Mungenast, Jr., MADA’s Chairman-Elect, represents Mungenast St. Louis Honda — a manufacturer generally behind the curve on cutting edge tech — but also owns a Toyota/Lexus franchise. He donated money to Republican Representative Ann Wagner, ergo, free marketeer. He also donated money to Russ Carnahan, a Democrat who supported tax credits for hybrids and believes in global warming. What a coincidence. I hear Japanese hybrids are very popular, especially that Prius thing, and one particular Lexus crossover.

But when it comes to Tesla, Mungenast hates free markets, green tech and the environment. Gotta protect those hybrid customers who might get upsold to the best electric car on the market.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I have bought a couple of cars from Gomez in the past and I recently made the mistake of buying a used car at a dealership in Rockford, long story short they sold me a ford edge with a well known transfer case issue, partly my fault for not inspecting the vehicle throughly, after a lot of hassle and negotiating for two weeks they took the car back and gave me what I paid on trade for another car in their lot.

Never buying another car from a dealer other than from John.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Gomez literally was the easiest car sale I've ever been part of. Did everything via PM's, text, and email. When the car was ready, he got all the paperwork done in advance and I spent probably 10 minutes doing paperwork. Most of the time spent in the dealer, I bs'd with John about cars or chased my son in/out of cars in the showroom.

Lastly, when I've bought cars in the past I leave the payment method vague. I simply work the best deal and get it in writing and then figure out payment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info