🔧 BUILD I did a thing.. (3 doors, turbo, DCT, not a 3800)

General Information

After talking with the wife and working other things out, we thought I should have something a little more reliable and I’m cool with that. So the Regal idea was tossed out.

Went to Hyundai on Friday after work to have the Kona inspected for the end of lease deal. Test drove a Santa Fe for a possible lease but the numbers were not working.

I then noticed a Veloster in the CPO section. 19, turbo, 7 speed DCT. Took it for a ride and instantly really enjoyed myself. It’s no world beater, but if it didn’t put a smile on my face pushing the gas down. Doesn’t hurt that the front end borrows a lot from the 18 and 19 Sonata which I also owned and really liked.

Got the payments around where we were with the Kona lease so I should be picking it up today hopefully. They are replacing 2 tires since I noticed a gash in the side wall.

Never owned a turbo car before, so wanted to ask how necessary is a catch can. :rofl:

3DB132D1-6FA5-42C1-A645-9B351DC81627.jpeg

43B4E471-4A35-4C5A-A885-CB234D7252BD.jpeg

558721A1-8CB1-412C-9675-D6465CFB7E35.jpeg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
so after driving to work 3 days in it, I really really enjoy going to work. After getting there is a different story. :rofl:

I did do 2 days of highway and this morning I took Milwaukee all the way. About a 23 mile ride IIRC. According to the trip calculator, I averaged about 33 MPG on the highway. I also was being a little….spirited. I call it a perk of having to be at work before the sun comes up and roads are empty. Taking the streets, I at one point was at 41 MPG. When I parked at work, it was at 38.8 MPG and that was after sitting for about 10 minutes eating my breakfast. I’d ask if this is normal, but I saw the same trend in the Kona as well. The HWY MPG was lower than the streets. Just think it’s weird. I would have thought more gears would allow lower RPMS at highway speeds. I guess it all depends on gear ratios as well.

I also realized I need to tint ASAP. Headlights are right in my face. I see Chicago Auto Pros is still a thing so I’ll take my third car to them I guess. :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
These are great. Congrats :bigthumb:

Thanks. I liked the previous gen, but the front end on this gen I think is a bit more subtle yet still nice. Interior is for sure updated to the current Hyundai standard as well which is what I’m used to

Congrats and good catch on the tire

Thanks. They wanted me to wait for paperwork so I was scoping out the paint and other things and wanted to see tread on the tires and saw it. I think they were hinting I might have done it but I pulled up the listing and saw it was their on the pictures they had up and screen shot it just in case.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
And I remember why I don’t miss bending over an engine bay. :rofl:

I opened up the intake to find a couple small things which is par for the course. Also did not see a resonator in the intake box or the stupid long intake feed like ive seen in pictures. I wonder if those are intakes for either NA models or first gen turbos. Mine feeds from a scoop that goes under the hood and just above the grill area and down slightly into the box with the filter. Which then leads back straight to the turbo. So no sensors pre turbo from what I see.

Maybe I just need to open my ears more? :hs: I also found the active engine exhaust setting that pumps fake exhaust sound. So I turned that off and will see how it sounds on my ride to work Monday.

5DF2B77A-BDA7-44E0-8993-E0B4FB97B4AF.jpeg

9A53580D-F3B1-44BC-82F5-C666EF2EC6FF.jpeg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:rofl: Thanks for that!

A family member already sent me a text asking me if this was our Kona. They already cleaned it up and are selling it. The dealer did tell me they are having a hard time getting inventory and would most likely sell the Kona used since they can’t get cars from other dealers.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah it’s the Wild West lately with prices. Part of the reason I was worried about even buying a car right now but it worked out. Did my best Jay Cutler impression though since I still technically had one more month so just played it cool and acted like I didn’t care. ;)

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
So I wanted to update this since we talked about catch cans. Below are the catch cans from my Mustang and my Ram, both run full synthetic and the dipstick barely moves between changes, but this would've gone through my intake if not for the catch cans. FYI, I empty them both pretty regularly, about every 30-45 days.

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ohh damn.

I know I have kept searching as well and one thing I have read and seen is that since GDI engines dont have fuel helping clean the intake valves, they get pretty damn dirty in a hurry. I am leaning towards catch can, but Id want to use either Seafoam or CRC, do a plug and oil change, then a catch can. I almost wonder if that is overkill, but who knows at this point. Just want the thing to run as optimal as I can since I dont care to pay for a tune for it, and any other mods seem to be pointless unless its tuned. Its a 19+ thing apparently.

I also have to go back to the dealer since they messed up my address (never changed it on my license) so have to redo the paperwork. Rather annoying. Plus side, already visited Chicago Auto Pros and did 20% ceramic all around, except the windshield.

Reactions: m_dogg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Went to Chicago Auto Pros. Again. :rofl: 20% all around this time. Probably my favorite percentage so far compared to the 35 on the Sonata and 25 on the Tucson.

Got a paint correction pen from the dealer. So I’ll have to find time to fix those, but will probably wait until we move away from the city and it’s bullshit trees that like to piss sap onto the car. Also found out the lower skirts are pre painted, so I don’t know if sanding and buffing will work without repainting. Dealer wants 380 for just one side. Found both for 250 on eBay plus 75 in shipping.

C4E35F79-06E7-4F75-A266-21204B9DA41F.jpeg

6C09BA96-41A8-4544-814E-7826F9054414.jpeg

0781619B-05C1-4AF0-B80B-6BEFF0264C30.jpeg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I meant to ask before but forgot. Anyone ever hear or had work done at Blood Type Racing? I saw they are pretty much next door to CAP in Glenview but never heard of them. They do VT2 tuning, and figured when it’s time to get a tune, I’d want to do it locally since everywhere else wants you to send the ECU in to tune then get it back.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
I meant to ask before but forgot. Anyone ever hear or had work done at Blood Type Racing? I saw they are pretty much next door to CAP in Glenview but never heard of them. They do VT2 tuning, and figured when it’s time to get a tune, I’d want to do it locally since everywhere else wants you to send the ECU in to tune then get it back.
I worked with them on my old Sonata and I dyno'd my Mustang there as well. Good dudes and they do some killer tunes on the KDM stuff.

Reactions: Fish

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Some dude in a Tesla really must have been offended by my car. The guy was real apologetic and contacted his insurance who already contacted me and has an appointment for repairs set up next week.

Not like I have enough going on trying to move and set up our house. I’ll have plenty for that later.

0E58CDB9-23E3-4A7F-8DC7-306EA9E59B72.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Thread Info