Hmm, no wonder the Z is actually doing decent in snow

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
for the audi? i dont see any reason to. i ran basically summer tires in the Evo last winter and got by just fine

Last winter when we had the crazy ice/snow storms down in southern IL all the way up through to chicago, I drove 60mph in a completely snow covered (6 inches unplowed) lane on I-57 the whole way home. This was on summer tires in the Galant.

Moral of the story, if you aren't an idiot when it comes to braking (which no tire will help), AWD > snow tires.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Last winter when we had the crazy ice/snow storms down in southern IL all the way up through to chicago, I drove 60mph in a completely snow covered (6 inches unplowed) lane on I-57 the whole way home. This was on summer tires in the Galant.

Moral of the story, if you aren't an idiot when it comes to braking (which no tire will help), AWD > snow tires.

Going at a normal pace down the highway isn't the hard part at all. When i drove up 355 back to my house from the aurora area i just let the PT do its thing. Follow the tire tracks, whatever, no need to upset it. But braking is the harder part. Though if you have a nice touch with the foot, which i think i have even with my steel toes on, then its never a problem.

But i've always had all-seasons and FWD, so i can't comment on either AWD, Summer or winter tires in the snow.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Going at a normal pace down the highway isn't the hard part at all. When i drove up 355 back to my house from the aurora area i just let the PT do its thing. Follow the tire tracks, whatever, no need to upset it. But braking is the harder part. Though if you have a nice touch with the foot, which i think i have even with my steel toes on, then its never a problem.

But i've always had all-seasons and FWD, so i can't comment on either AWD, Summer or winter tires in the snow.

There were no tire tracks to follow. I was the only one in the left lane the whole way back. I may not have fully described the treacherousness of the road conditions. All other traffic was moving at 30-35 mph max in the right.

You are right that the trickiest part is braking, no matter what type of vehicle you drive. At the speeds I was traveling, any sort of braking was having the back end wanting to drift around so all braking had to be done very far in advance. I made sure to slow down to 40ish when passing other cars in case they did anything stupid.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
i have trouble keeping the bimmer on the road when it rains, let lone when it is snowing... my rear wheels have horrible, horrible amounts of toe-in that I don't know if i can get fixed or not... So the traction flips from one side to another, about throwing the rear around and me going into a sideways slide... worst winter car (unless alignment gets fixed...)

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I made sure to slow down to 40ish when passing other cars in case they did anything stupid.
Like the guy today that decided he wanted to use all two lanes of traffic to cut me off without using his signal. Needless to say i laid on my horn for a good minute. Then he looks at me while i pass as if i'm the retarded one.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

i'd never try that in sti and have no idea how you managed to go that long and not eat it somewhere. sti i only have done neighborhood in summer tires, 2 inches of snow... said f this and went home without leaving my hood. awd didn't feel like it was doing shite for me

dmc6996

Addict
Oct 10, 2008
Arlington Heights
Real Name
Dave
i'd never try that in sti and have no idea how you managed to go that long and not eat it somewhere. sti i only have done neighborhood in summer tires, 2 inches of snow... said f this and went home without leaving my hood. awd didn't feel like it was doing shite for me

i hear ya. STi stockers in the snow = FAIL. AWD is no help at that point. if we had to make that drive that Chrisco did we wouldnt have made it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info