HK changes job to hairdresser with Audi purchase

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
That is awesome! How long did it take you to get out there?
Split the trip down staying in cinci with buddy, but trip back was about 8 hours of driving, maybe slightly less...made like 3-4 stops for gas/food/bathroom. Think its ~600 miles one way. Did friday afternoon til monday night return

Between some traffic and hotel issues going down and trying to get back asap on monday with the riots and stuff, I think another day or extending those bookend driving days is perfect for "minimum" time down there.

Done the trip with PANDA PANDA a few times previously where we flew down to ATL then drove up to that area in a rental ~2-3hrs from ATL, never done the personal car drive thing lol

Reactions: greasy

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Split the trip down staying in cinci with buddy, but trip back was about 8 hours of driving, maybe slightly less...made like 3-4 stops for gas/food/bathroom. Think its ~600 miles one way. Did friday afternoon til monday night return

Between some traffic and hotel issues going down and trying to get back asap on monday with the riots and stuff, I think another day or extending those bookend driving days is perfect for "minimum" time down there.

Done the trip with PANDA PANDA a few times previously where we flew down to ATL then drove up to that area in a rental ~2-3hrs from ATL, never done the personal car drive thing lol

I am visiting an old coworker just south of Knoxville TN and I was wondering how that drive was straight from there to here? I am taking my s2000 which isn't the best for a trip like that, but whilst I am down there I am going to drive that ghey road to see what all the fuss is about. I have never driven a car for that amount of time straight before. Closest I've been was indy and back with a 30-40min stop for a friend to buy a car and back on the road.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

This sounds like something I want to do in my fat cat! Did you Air B&B it out there?

Reactions: The Broken Regal

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I am visiting an old coworker just south of Knoxville TN and I was wondering how that drive was straight from there to here? I am taking my s2000 which isn't the best for a trip like that, but whilst I am down there I am going to drive that ghey road to see what all the fuss is about. I have never driven a car for that amount of time straight before. Closest I've been was indy and back with a 30-40min stop for a friend to buy a car and back on the road.
I did it no issue, was at ~3k rpms at 80-85mph averaging about 30mpg. Roads are shit quality wise from here til once you get past Indy to be honest, the stress/heat buckles or whatever those are called are pretty prevalent, but magically are gone for good in KY/TN. The roads down there are a dream, even the just random state highways wind around and are in good shape. I would do definitely do it in the s2k just to experience it in a car like that, its perfect and you have a good reason for the trip down anyways lol. If you have time I would check out some of the other roads near the tail that follow the river or go up to Fontana Dam, stuff like that. On the way back stopped at costco in Lexington and Indy for gas and to walk around/stretch, that is definitely needed imho. Fwiw all rest stops are open too. Construction zone wise the only major spot, but still open 2 lanes was much of the interstate between Lexington and Knoxville.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
This sounds like something I want to do in my fat cat! Did you Air B&B it out there?
I would suggest anyone to go on it down and back or however many times just to experience it, no matter the car/truck. The car choice might obviously might change your opinion, but it is quite aggressive if you push your car and also can be tranquil natural beauty if you just stroll down it at the speed limit.

What I would say is the 99% other backroads are the deal, just amazing sweeping turns through smokey mtn natl park and that entire area, I can't stress that enough. That is what we've had the most fun with and I think PANDA PANDA can attest.

We've stayed in a hotel up near knoxville a few times and then did a big cabin rental through ABB/VRBO, both have their perks, but if you only are doing it once, I'd suggest the cabin rental like close to the tail area!

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I did the Tail right at the beginning of the year in my G37xS, in the pouring rain and fog, and basically had the road to myself. It was glorious. Even at [posted] speed it was a lot of fun. Had to take most of the turns at like 50% speed because the g/f got motion sick. I need to go back and do it again, solo. Not sure if I would run it on my bike(s) though. So many blind corners and people crossing the center line.

But yeah, all of those backroads along the TN/NC border are fun, and most of their surfaces are in really good condition. A much further trip is out to SD near Mt. Rushmore. Like the Iron Highway coming out of Custer State Park. That road had turns so tight that while in my truck could barely keep in its lane.

My dad's place is about 4 hours north of the Tail, so I can use his place as a base. However this is no really good way to get there. Either have to drive an hour to get to 75 and head south, or find some other tiny backroads over the mountains.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Got a few more pics

Tail pic 3 2020 resize 4mp.jpg

Tail pic 4 2020 resize 4mp.jpg

Tail pic 5 2020 resize 5.jpg

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
BTW, how was your cell phone coverage there?
Plain and simple there is none to "rely" on no matter the carrier in those super backwood areas. Had both verizon and t-mobile on trips down there before and while verizon coverage is better overall, the majority of the back area roads is zero. Driving through and around the small towns you will have a signal for a minute then gone when you take the bend leaving town lol. Coverage spread example would be like going on hte interstate heading home about 20 miles west of knoxville with tmobile the call dropped twice type stuff, but with verizon you could at least no drop calls as much, but internet 4G etc isn't reliable

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My point exactly :)

My entire run through the dragon and zero signal on Verizon the whole way. Makes for having a breakdown or a crash a serious inconvenience. Thinking about it, I think my signal dropped to nothing like 10 minutes before I even got to the south end of the Tail. Trying to recall if I had signal over at Fontana Dam...

IMG_0762.PNG

IMG_0763.PNG

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
My point exactly :)

My entire run through the dragon and zero signal on Verizon the whole way. Makes for having a breakdown or a crash a serious inconvenience. Thinking about it, I think my signal dropped to nothing like 10 minutes before I even got to the south end of the Tail. Trying to recall if I had signal over at Fontana Dam..
Oh yea for sure no signal in that specific area LOL, no matter the carrier i think lol, I was going more broad

With verizon id have a "signal" but no 4G and calls would no go out, but you could get texts inbound lol

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
So went to GLD last night, only got 2 runs in over ~2 hours, got there late and between having to wait for the whole pit to go ahead of me and then multiple breakdowns, only managed the 2nd run because I hot lapped it
Car was heatsoaked and did not like something about the track for launching, felt like it was short shifting and boggin down low. 60' and 0-60 confirmed that. No track prep, me and my stuff in the car for the trip up

Had dragy for all 3 to compare equally, last run no slip and will upload. DA over 3000 as well, big sad
13.30 @ 103.27 w/ 1.97 60' [email protected] 1/8th 0-60 5.00 wtf
hot-lap 13.45 @ 102.43 w/ 2.03 60' [email protected] 1/8th 0-60 5.13 WTF

Was able to let the car cool for awhile and get a little better run in, DA still at ~2900

13.09 @ 103.93 w/ 1.94 60' 8.39 @83.34 1/8th 0-60 4.74

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
5835F01A-8BF7-424E-9E9F-FBD6C550BED7.png
I'm not really sure whats going on with the car, but my goal was to break into the 12s stock. The trap seems to be low, the 0-60 could be a little better, but idk wtf is going on the 60' time using LC. The car is the most aggressively geared on the MQB platform cars which might contribute to the low trap, well that and heatsoak, DA, but should help on the 60'

Given more perfect weather and a little more prep should be right there with these same numbers, but more concerned about the 60' as i'm giving up like at least .2-.3 where that should be my biggest strength. All that said, I can't be discouraged taking those things into consideration!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Tires make a pretty big difference. What's on there now?
like 2k mile 255/40/18 BFG G-Force Comp 2 all seasons. I tested it out on other launches with the same 0-60 and there is just a hint of tire squeak. The last run (best 60) I could hear and it was the same faint squeak, the first two it was so loud I couldn't, but I can't imagine it spun much with how consistently bad they all seem to be. Car just feels like it bogs on launches, and I mean testing track or street. You get the initial GO when you let off the brake but then it just kinda goes blah before really ramping up again at higher RPM

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Are you prepping? Or have a video to look at to see how the tires are reacting under load when you first get off?
My best 60' and 0-60 were on an unprepped surface compared to the track, that alone makes me think it was just the car behaving weird due to heat or whatever

If I don't get a tune before the fall, definitely want to go back and see what 50-60* weather can help do compared to 80s and humid lol

I will say after researching the other stock 60' and 0-60, im not exactly too far off and im sure a TCU tune would help a ton

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
A little late but saw you post in another thread about your track visit. Sometimes, stock AWD cars need a little wheel slippage (I hestitate to call it spin) to get wheel speed up, otherwise it bogs. When I ran a stock GTR at a prepped dragstrip, the dynamics engineer suggested getting out of the grove a little to allow for wheel slippage for the best times.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
A little late but saw you post in another thread about your track visit. Sometimes, stock AWD cars need a little wheel slippage (I hestitate to call it spin) to get wheel speed up, otherwise it bogs. When I ran a stock GTR at a prepped dragstrip, the dynamics engineer suggested getting out of the grove a little to allow for wheel slippage for the best times.
Interesting, I haven't heard of that, but seems legit, thanks for the info

Not sure if any of the MQB guys have heard of this, but apparently in vagcom there is a code about reduced power at takeoff that can be edited to allow for 100% TPS, I have the thread saved and was gonna have willsmysticcobra willsmysticcobra edit it next time we all get together.

I'll be at the track day and will probably try the wheel spin thing as well!

Reactions: willsmysticcobra

Thread Info