Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Some backstory on the Spartan program and how its likely gonna differentiate from the game / books. Also, if you do enjoy reading and like Halo, the Fall of Reach is SO worth the read.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Some backstory on the Spartan program and how its likely gonna differentiate from the game / books. Also, if you do enjoy reading and like Halo, the Fall of Reach is SO worth the read.

Not sure I like removing or downplaying the origins of the Spartan II program to make it less morally dubious. The UNSC (and ONI) considered all options on the table, especially the morally dubious ones. Spartans were pure black-ops for the 1st 3 generations.

The Covenant kicked humanities asses for years in ever naval engagement. Its only on the ground where the UNSC curb stomped them.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Appears the premiere (red carpet) is tonight. God I hope this doesnt suck.
I also hope it does not suck. but from what I've seen in the trailers, and rumors, not feeling confident.

I never understood this when a studio makes something from a book/game/whatever into a TV Show or Movie, and then changes so much that it only barely resembles the thing the fanbase was passionate about because they think "it'll sell well to the general audience." And when it bombs because the fanbase they SHOULD have made it for shuns it, they think "they didn't really want a TV Show/Movie afterall.

Not saying that's what's gonna happen here, but I've seen enough to know they changed the Spartan's backstory significantly.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Sure hope Poly is way off here...HOWEVER, its only based on 2 episodes.

This was my chief problem with every review/bit I've seen.

From the beginning, the talent involved has resisted calling it an exact adaptation, preferring instead to think of it as a world built off the framework of the Halo games: an interstellar war between the religious aliens known as the Covenant and the human United Nations Space Command. In the middle of all that is Spartan soldier Master Chief (Pablo Schreiber) and insurrectionist Kwan Ha (Yerin Ha), who both find themselves at odds with the war waging around them.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The more I read of that review, the more I realize I'm probably going to be 100% disappointed in this show. Like, I'm getting Kevin Smith He-Man vibes from this review, completely disconnect from the fan-base.

Halo is like an adaptation of a video game series as handled by someone who played a few levels of it once in college. Or maybe he just watched his friend play, he can’t quite remember. There’s definitely a guy in recognizable green armor, and he definitely fights some aliens, but beyond that it’s a bit of a blur. There’s some kind of relic, it may or may not have something to do with a ring world, which might also be a weapon. It’s really hard to say.

This is a show for people who have, at best, a passing familiarity with the games. There’s little to no actual explanation of who or what is going on, so you better know the Master Chief and the Covenant. But it’s also not a show for people to know too much, because otherwise you might get confused why none of this seems to match up with the story of the games that have been released over the last 20 years. It’s a very tight window.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You make a show for the diehard fans, and they'll hate it no matter what. Make it for the general public, and you at least have a chance to build a new fanbase for Halo, who will likely check out the games and maybe even the books.

Damned if you do,damned if you dont. Still looking forward to it.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You make a show for the diehard fans, and they'll hate it no matter what. Make it for the general public, and you at least have a chance to build a new fanbase for Halo, who will likely check out the games and maybe even the books.

Damned if you do,damned if you dont. Still looking forward to it.
There is a difference between route adherence and completely missing the mark.

The Expanse followed the books, but made several changes to make it more palatable for TV. Several characters were either excluded entirely, or combined into a single character. Minor plot points were re-arranged to increase drama for TV. And while I prefer some book points over TV, there are some TV points I prefer over the books.

I'll watch it, but I'm going in with extremely low expectations.

Thread Info