🔧 BUILD Gtppower's 10 cylinders in a Veee

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Ended up buying this yesterday. It's clean, basically rust free. It was about 4 hours away. I went on a day trip with the wife to get it. It's a 2005 f250 XL, zf6. 6.8 v10 3 valve. 3.73 rear. As you can see, the cab and box don't match. The box is from a 2001. I'm thinking I will paint the cab to match, but not sure. It's a lot cheaper to paint the box.

IMG_20210227_111602717_HDR.jpg

So, driving home, we did 70-75 most of the way. It got 13.5 mpg on that trip, which I don't think is terrible, but I was hoping for a bit better.

We had some flooding here yesterday due to the sudden warm-up, so I forgot to bring my laptop along to read codes. He told me the engine light was from evap. This morning I hooked it up to hpt, and ugh. At least parts are cheap.

IMG_20210227_105510489.jpg

So I loaded the parts cannon and ordered a couple new denso coils and a new o2 sensor, and the evap canister that it needs. We will see how much those parts fix.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Neighbor had one he drove for a good 3 years. I don't think he ever even changed the oil the whole time and ran bald ass old school bfgs and somehow got around on the muddy roads and whatever just fine. I wanna say the electrical gave him fits once in a while tho

There a reason your keepin the evap? it hurts me to put money into things of that nature lol

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I hear ya man I like keepin stuff as it should be bit I've also got no issue sayin goodbye to unnecessary things rather than replacing em.

I'll see what the neighbors up to tonight and ask him if he remembers what the deal with his was. I wanna say there was somethin in the harness at one point and time and it'd come and go

Reactions: GTPpower

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
He said he thought at one time there was a sensor. And if you mess with coils do em all or they'll start takin each other out. I'm assuming there's a current draw when it comes to weak ones.

Also were these ever prone to plug issues or maybe plugs backing out? I don't know much bout these mythical beasts except the earlier ones drank gas made a shitload of noise and didn't go anywhere probably due to the trannys that felt like a sack of mashed potatoes. Perfect to put some guys in tho cuz I think they're pretty bulletproof

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
He said he thought at one time there was a sensor. And if you mess with coils do em all or they'll start takin each other out. I'm assuming there's a current draw when it comes to weak ones.

Also were these ever prone to plug issues or maybe plugs backing out? I don't know much bout these mythical beasts except the earlier ones drank gas made a shitload of noise and didn't go anywhere probably due to the trannys that felt like a sack of mashed potatoes. Perfect to put some guys in tho cuz I think they're pretty bulletproof

I don't have the option to scan current misfires with this sadly. I'm going to try and get hpt to add that.

The 2v's had problems with plugs shooting out on certain years. The 3v's had a problem with them breaking off in the head when trying to change them. Both had coils that liked to fail.

The 3v's have a good amount more power. Low-end torque is better than the 1st Gen 3.5 ecoboost.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Did some work today....

View attachment 82858

View attachment 82859

Replaced 4 & 8 coils.

New air filter.

View attachment 82860

New O2 sensor

View attachment 82861

View attachment 82862

View attachment 82863

And nothing changed. I still have all the same codes. :mad:
See I knew there was somethin that made it all pissy sometimes but he couldn't remember what it was all he could remember was some sensor. Itd run like total shit sometimes and it'd have tranny issues when it'd happen sometimes too I remember

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So, I don't think this has them, but the earlier v10's have super valuable cats. Like 99-01 years, the cats are worth a couple thousand. I'm sure these are worth a few hundred at least, so I might chop them off. We'll see.

Typical hpt has basically no helpful support for diagnostics on this thing. Luckily, FORscan is a free program that uses a elm327 and has access to tons of things. It can even program keys and works on the newer fords too. I figured that might be a good investment, since we have 3 ford vehicles now, all with well over 100k miles.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Luckily, FORscan is a free program that uses a elm327 and has access to tons of things. It can even program keys and works on the newer fords too. I figured that might be a good investment, since we have 3 ford vehicles now, all with well over 100k miles.

I used Forscan to add factory remote start to my buddies 2011 F-150. Pretty slick, wish GM had something like that.

• Wow
Reactions: GTPpower and Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
In the older ones case those cats would be worth more than most of those trucks then lol.

Not much in hp at all? or is it overcomplicated bs that runs through 18 different timing tables like the newer stuff? Do you think its somethin maybe they'd add some stuff for? Could always uncheck those boxes and watch for misfires and what its doin but I guess that depends on what it'll let you get into too.

For most diagnostic I just throw the bafx on stuff and use torque but this forscan thing sounds a bit more manufacturer specific and know that particular automaker things are generally easy to get at and a pain in the ass to sort out. From the stuff I've messed with Ford is a super big fan of leanin on the map sensor for control of most everything. Maybe that's a quick shot in the dark? My best guess is log every angle you can on it and see what's irregular and if it acts up at all but it sounds to me like somethin small thats tied into every other system just enough to be a pain in the ass. If it it those stupid mapped points holler at me you gotta plot allllll those bastards out by what percentage of what table its in and make your changes as such. I've got my head wrapped around the concept finally but I'm still doin the math on em the hard way til I screw with it enough to be able to just copy and paste my way through it like everything else.

Otherwise I'd be checkin every stupid little wire on it or maybe he was right about the coils and having to do them all at once (maybe it's kinda like the gm 0300 rando that makes you pull your hair out sometimes?)

Somethin simple tho, battery and everything good? Voltage issues seem to be the kinda things that drive me mad lately and I could see this bein somethin of that sort with the list its got poppin up

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
In the older ones case those cats would be worth more than most of those trucks then lol.

Not much in hp at all? or is it overcomplicated bs that runs through 18 different timing tables like the newer stuff? Do you think its somethin maybe they'd add some stuff for? Could always uncheck those boxes and watch for misfires and what its doin but I guess that depends on what it'll let you get into too.

For most diagnostic I just throw the bafx on stuff and use torque but this forscan thing sounds a bit more manufacturer specific and know that particular automaker things are generally easy to get at and a pain in the ass to sort out. From the stuff I've messed with Ford is a super big fan of leanin on the map sensor for control of most everything. Maybe that's a quick shot in the dark? My best guess is log every angle you can on it and see what's irregular and if it acts up at all but it sounds to me like somethin small thats tied into every other system just enough to be a pain in the ass. If it it those stupid mapped points holler at me you gotta plot allllll those bastards out by what percentage of what table its in and make your changes as such. I've got my head wrapped around the concept finally but I'm still doin the math on em the hard way til I screw with it enough to be able to just copy and paste my way through it like everything else.

Otherwise I'd be checkin every stupid little wire on it or maybe he was right about the coils and having to do them all at once (maybe it's kinda like the gm 0300 rando that makes you pull your hair out sometimes?)

Somethin simple tho, battery and everything good? Voltage issues seem to be the kinda things that drive me mad lately and I could see this bein somethin of that sort with the list its got poppin up

I wish I could tell you any info on it, but I can't even scan live misfires with hpt. There really isn't anything useful that I can do with it. Hpt just sucks on ford's. Always has. It's gotten better, but still nowhere even close to what FORscan can do.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
It does suck on ford's.

Don't take this the wrong way but did you resync your mpvi2 and repoll for parameters with no log file open and then check your channels list? I've run into this a few times. Bein a v10 they may not have much anyway tho. I tried to tie into a v8 toureag not too long ago and I was lucky enough to get ect and find thats where the issue was. Rpm didn't even populate.

I think that's why alot of guys stay away from em. I'd hop on one of their forums and tell them what you'd like to see on it tho. They seem somewhat responsive in the ecoboost threads I've been through and have added enough data to make my head spin there. More of a they don't mess with it unless there's a need kinda thing I guess. I'm gonna look into this forscan thing sounds like somethin I can use with my handy dandy bafx that'd be nice to have in my back pocket

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I don't have a mpvi2. I have the old cable hardware... it's like 15 years old.

I got them to add a bunch of stuff on the 6.0 powerstrokes, but they were dedicating a lot of time to ficm tuning and transmission tuning on those, so I can see why they did.

They might add some stuff for me on the v10's too, but imo it's not worth the effort. FORscan will have way more than hpt ever could, so I'll just wait til the cord comes in.

Thread Info