Good Cigars

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
My pops smokes a cigar nearly every day. I bought him a humidor and keep it stocked with usually 20 cigars or so. I pick up packs of 20 from the local smoke shop. I usually am able to find a bundle for about $70. I dont smoke them but they seem alright, but he complains that they are a little harsh and are full flavor.

First off, should I be buying the bundles in store or should I buy them online? Also, anyone recommend a decent bundle for around the same cost? Locally or online.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
With the humidity down here, I have good luck keeping my cigars in a small humidor on my lanai. I throw them in my outside fridge if the day is too hot and take them out at night. Seems to work OK. I don't keep many cigars at home anyways. The cigar shop I use has a good humidor so I buy them as I need them.

I think I'm going to have a NUB Connecticut tonight. Never had one before.

images

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
you need to buy one of those sponge deals and check the humidity often there is a fine line if you plan to keep cigars perfect for any amount of time too humid and they mold, not enough and they dry out and burn hot its really a pain in the ass, id just buy them from a shop when every you want one let them deal with it unless you smoke every day

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
you need to buy one of those sponge deals and check the humidity often there is a fine line if you plan to keep cigars perfect for any amount of time too humid and they mold, not enough and they dry out and burn hot its really a pain in the ass, id just buy them from a shop when every you want one let them deal with it unless you smoke every day

I usually only have a couple cigars a week so the shop is what I normally do. The humidor is just for times when I have more than a couple cigars at home. it does have the cheapo sponge set up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
damn its been over a year since i had a cigar.... i use to go to the shop in villa park all the time. acid blondies were my favorite. when i went to jamaica we would always bring back cubans. we had a guy that would relabel them as jamaican. i kinda want to grab one now

You can find Cubans down here but they aren't cheap.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
ill have to find some of the wrappers since i cant remember what kind they were. but i brought them to a shop one day since my buddy thought they were fake. the guy knew exactly what they were and they were real. he said they go for 25ish a peice around here. i paid 45 for a box

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
NUB Connecticut was just OK.

First third was a little harsh at times. Second third was tasty. No complaints. Third third started to get hot due to the shortness of the NUB cigar. Just when you want a cigar to get good, this one ends. It's too short and NUBby. The draw was excellent and the burn was excellent. I'd smoke this cigar but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it in the future. Too many better choices out there.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
NUB Connecticut was just OK.

First third was a little harsh at times. Second third was tasty. No complaints. Third third started to get hot due to the shortness of the NUB cigar. Just when you want a cigar to get good, this one ends. It's too short and NUBby. The draw was excellent and the burn was excellent. I'd smoke this cigar but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it in the future. Too many better choices out there.

So it wasnt just me then. Thats about been my experience w/ them as well

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
So I stopped out at a new smoke shop that just opened up by me, and to say I was disappointed w/ their cigar selection would be putting it mildly. Looking thru their store it was obviously not the main motivation for opening up their establishment :rofl: BUT, if you want paraphernalia for smoking all sorts of "tobacco products", they're definitely your store. I tried asking the owner if they carried one of those inserts for zippo lighters that used butane fuel instead of lighter fluid, and it was like I was trying to explain the concept of fire to him. (English was definitely not his first language). After about 5 minutes of that I gave up and walked into the humidor to peruse the goods. Wasn't good. The total wine I go to has a better selection than this place. But as I had spent 10 minutes in there looking around, I had to walk out w/ something, so I grabbed this. Cuz it caught my eye.

CAO-Earthquake-2.jpg

Honestly I didn't know what it was, cuz it didn't have a shelf label, but it was a CAO, and you can never really go wrong w/ a CAO.

I had to come home and do some research to find out just what the hell I bought, and it turns out its a CAO Earthquake. It seems CAO made 4 cigar lines that they released in 4 regions. Never knew this. They dubbed it their "Natural Disaster" Line :rofl: Not tacky at all. There was the earthquake, heatwave, cyclone, and hurricane.

Each cigar in the line was released to a different region, which are somewhat associated with their namesakes. The Hurricane was released in the southeast and featured the same blend as last year. The Cyclone was released in the central United States. and features a Connecticut broadleaf wrapper. The Heatwave was released in the east and is finished with an Ecuadorian wrapper. Lastly is the Earthquake, which was released in the western U.S. and has a Nicaraguan wrapper.

CAO Hurricane (6 x 54) — $8.00 (Boxes of 10, $80.00) — 1,500 Boxes of 10 Cigars (15,000 Total Cigars)

CAO Cyclone (6 x 54) — $8.00 (Boxes of 10, $80.00) — 1,500 Boxes of 10 Cigars (15,000 Total Cigars)

CAO Heatwave (6 x 54) — $8.00 (Boxes of 10, $80.00) — 1,500 Boxes of 10 Cigars (15,000 Total Cigars)

CAO Earthquake (6 x 54) — $8.00 (Boxes of 10, $80.00) — 1,500 Boxes of 10 Cigars (15,000 Total Cigars)

Full read here: CAO Earthquake | halfwheel

Seems like just kind of an OK cigar, but one i've definitely never seen anywhere else, so if i do like it I know where I can get some more at least :rofl: I've got a halloween party to go to this weekend, so I might give this one a shot. Tho I also do have an Ashton, and a Fuente Hemingway on deck that I KNOW will be good.... Decisions...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
If you get a chance, let us know what you think of it. Of the cigars you mention, I know the Hemingway will be good.

I have been working my way through the various Olivas that my neighbor gave me. Most have been just OK to pretty good. Not the best or worst cigars I have ever had. I'll try another one tomorrow night.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Had the earthquake last night. Actually wasnt too bad. It started out kinda medium-strong, but then kinda mellowed out in the middle, before picking up strength again at the end. And that 6x54 lasted a good long while too. I swear I picked up a slight sweetness on the wrapper, tho that could have also been the apple pie moonshine I was washing it down with..... I wouldnt buy a box of these, but I just might go pick up a couple more to have in the humidor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info