GM laying off almost 15,000 workers in North America

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
GM to slash 14,700 jobs in North America - Story | WFLD

DETROIT (WJBK) - General Motors announced a restructuring plan Monday that will affect thousands of workers in both the United States and Canada.

General Motors will lay off 14,000 factory and white-collar workers in North America and put five plants up for possible closure. The company said this is part of a plan that restructures to cut costs and focus more on autonomous and electric vehicles.

The reduction includes 8,100 white-collar workers, some of whom will take buyouts and others who will be laid off. Most of the affected factories build cars that won't be sold in the U.S. after next year. They could close or they could get different vehicles to build. They will be part of contract talks with the United Auto Workers union next year.

Plants without products include assembly plants in Detroit; Lordstown, Ohio; and Oshawa, Ontario. Also affected are transmission factories in Warren, Michigan, as well as Baltimore.

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said he finds the news "troubling."

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I had heard the Oshawa plant was on the top of the list for this a week or so ago.

torquelover

Reaction score
Seemed the CT6 was actually getting better, too. Just like how GM killed the Impala (rwd) and Fiero just when they got them right.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
The Volt saddens me. It makes sense so I see why but it just got faster charging! I wanted to pick up one cheap down the road and now it will be a 1 year wonder.

jason05gt

Reaction score
This kind of irks me. The US taxpayers spent tens of billions of dollars via TARP and Chapter 11 to save GM "jobs". A decade later they are laying off 15% of the workforce while sitting on $25 billion in cash. Doesn't seem right to me.

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
This kind of irks me. The US taxpayers spent tens of billions of dollars via TARP and Chapter 11 to save GM "jobs". A decade later they are laying off 15% of the workforce while sitting on $25 billion in cash. Doesn't seem right to me.
Umm blame robots and technology?

But yeah basically GM is saying "Surprise!! Merry Christmas now you dont have a job!"

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Surprised that GM is following Ford down the "no sedans" rabbit hole (yeah GM will still have a few, but for how much longer...)

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
This no sedan thing pieces me off. A lot of people fucking blow dicks.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
Did Ford announce layoffs when they announced they were shit canning all cars but the Mustang ?

Just wondering... I feel bad for the people who will be laid off.
Autonomous cars, ghey

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
I don't see any other option...the cars they're discontinuing are junk. Nobody likes sedans anymore, and GM has basically always made the most boring sedans in existence (save for a few, like the SS), soooooooo what do you expect.

Sucks to hear about the layoffs, and right before christmas :(

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't understand why they're killing the Volt. It sells decently, it's well reviewed and it doesn't really compete with any other sedan they offer. This is a Ford move: really vague and unspecific promises for the future but very specific reduction in sales volume and workforce now.

With every passing day Tesla appears to be better hedged for the future than anyone else.

And yeah, they are really setting themselves up for 2008 V.2. At least then they were selling mediocre sedans. Now they're just not. Between them and Ford it's all trucks and SUVs and Chrysler's cars are all 10 years old.

MikeyLikesIt

2015 Acura MDX
Reaction score
I don't understand why they're killing the Volt. It sells decently, it's well reviewed and it doesn't really compete with any other sedan they offer.
I'm with you on this one Mike. I'm a huge plug-in hybrid fan (best of both worlds) and the volt was the king of range.

cdh027

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just kidding. The cruze sucks fat dick. :rofl:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
15,000 workers let go

That’s a lot of impacted counties, towns and families

Rebel

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that is had to do in part to an increase in 1 billion dollars in added expenses due to the steel tariffs. Still sucks either way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom