Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
GM to slash 14,700 jobs in North America - Story | WFLD

DETROIT (WJBK) - General Motors announced a restructuring plan Monday that will affect thousands of workers in both the United States and Canada.

General Motors will lay off 14,000 factory and white-collar workers in North America and put five plants up for possible closure. The company said this is part of a plan that restructures to cut costs and focus more on autonomous and electric vehicles.

The reduction includes 8,100 white-collar workers, some of whom will take buyouts and others who will be laid off. Most of the affected factories build cars that won't be sold in the U.S. after next year. They could close or they could get different vehicles to build. They will be part of contract talks with the United Auto Workers union next year.

Plants without products include assembly plants in Detroit; Lordstown, Ohio; and Oshawa, Ontario. Also affected are transmission factories in Warren, Michigan, as well as Baltimore.

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said he finds the news "troubling."

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Can you show me which models are replacing each of these? That is news to me.

Buick has a bunch of new models and at least 2 small CUVs now and Cadillac just came out with XT4 too.

Id have to dig around but I dont the number of vehicles is going down. Now if they are at the same facility or not I dont know.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
This kind of irks me. The US taxpayers spent tens of billions of dollars via TARP and Chapter 11 to save GM "jobs". A decade later they are laying off 15% of the workforce while sitting on $25 billion in cash. Doesn't seem right to me.

Umm blame robots and technology?

But yeah basically GM is saying "Surprise!! Merry Christmas now you dont have a job!"

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't understand why they're killing the Volt. It sells decently, it's well reviewed and it doesn't really compete with any other sedan they offer. This is a Ford move: really vague and unspecific promises for the future but very specific reduction in sales volume and workforce now.

With every passing day Tesla appears to be better hedged for the future than anyone else.

And yeah, they are really setting themselves up for 2008 V.2. At least then they were selling mediocre sedans. Now they're just not. Between them and Ford it's all trucks and SUVs and Chrysler's cars are all 10 years old.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info