• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GM/Corvette Active Handling / ABS / Airbag codes?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
If so, there goes $140 as I would have been able to do that tomorrow.

I can promise you nothing in the service manual or online that I've come across reflects that at all (and maybe its ZR1 specific). The ZR1 section of corvetteforum has slowed down and people barely reply there with weird issues like that.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
here's the thing, it's an "available function". if the car was sitting here, i could click it and it may say "vehicle does not support this function".

it's worth a shot though, every GM i've done a SWPS has needed a calibration. can you reschedule the appointment? you spent the money on the tech2 already, may as well try and use it :dunno:

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Car is probably being looked at right now as I dropped it off this morning. Ya lets assume its not an available function but will know shortly. I would say the chances are slim to none. I didn't want to reschedule because I am actually trying to make it to the next track date which is 6/26 and still need tires as well as to resolve an airbag sensor issue. (as well as replacing a belt tensioner I screwed up).

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
you're positive nothing was left disconnected? wires didn't get tugged/pinched when you were moving stuff around? error codes/lights on the dash after a mod install usually means something was left disconnected :rofl:

This is a good point. With such little slack in the harnesses, sometimes the connectors get pulled out.

As to the availability of a function, agree, not everything will be available though. Even year to year on the same platform it can change.

Sorry not to be able to hook up this weekend, work demands kept me pretty busy. One thing I meant to ask, with this Tech2 you're getting, did you get the CANdi module too? You will need that to interface between the Tech2 and the car to work with yours.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yep that comes with it. Since this is a "clone" I'm assuming the Chinese cloned it but that shouldn't matter as long as I don't need support or updates.

GM Tech 2 II Scanner 32MB Card & CANdi Module & TIS Software **USA SELLER** | eBay

Correct. Since it won't have a valid serial number from Bosch (or Vetronix or even a really early HP unit), any updates or repair won't be available through them (Bosch now owns the Vetronix unit for automotive diagnostic tools, which made the last generation of Tech2's).

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
So paid the $140 for the SWPS / Active Handling diagnostics and they needed the car from 830-4 for some reason but I should have waited until I had the Tech2 clone as [MENTION=79]bikrboy128[/MENTION] turned out to be right about the 'relearn' or 'reset' as it seems to be listed in the tech2 as reset. I don't think its literally relearning anything or calibrating anything, but the module did need to be reset and obviously a tech2 or something as capable is needed to reset that. That Actron that can read/reset ABS codes saw the C0710 but was not able to successfully reset it so that's gone back to amazon.

The airbag issue I resolved before I got the tech2 as I knew I fucked up my clock spring while working under the airbag.

Thought I fucked the SC belt tensioner while removing/mounting belt a couple times, but turns out it was probably the belt with a couple tight spots (elbows if you will), causing it to slightly bounce , so thank god it was out of stock nationwide as I didn't need it.

The Tech2 clone is something to have for advanced troubleshooting but being a clone there shouldn't be any risk? as I don't plan on programming modules or anything really except reading and reseting codes throughout the 3-4 additional modules outside the ECM.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It's a reset. A relearn would be if you completely replaced the SWPS and had to "synch" it to the BCM/EBCM/PCM/network.

As to the T2, even myself, with a genuine unit can't do much programming because you need authorization from the GM Tech Center in Warren, which means you have to have an active connection and license to them. So I wouldn't sweat to much on that point.

The T2 is great for bi-lateral controls. Meaning when it tells you to test a module/sensor/other component, you can command it to do something and then get it's reactive state to determine if said module/sensor/component is functioning as designed.

A perfect example of this is diagnosing an EVAP code for example. Testing the EVAP Purge and Canister solenoids are steps in the process. When the EVAP Purge solenoid is open, the canister should be closed and vice versa. So if you command the purge closed, it closes, the corresponding Canister should open (and vice versa). If one of them doesn't do what is expected, you've effectively troubleshot the system and found the culprit. Just a reader won't do this.

Another example, if you're trying to take an emissions test, and all your readiness monitors (Your I/M system status in GM speak), aren't all set, you can follow procedures with the Tech 2 to manually get them to run and pass.

Example on my Cadillac;
Y0eA1eJ.png

On my Mother's old Monte Carlo (I had HO2S response issues and needed to get it back to ready to take the wisconsin emissisions test)
Da9layx.jpg

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
yup and probably a ton more awesome features, I know there is a procedure to actuate the brake system to help with flushes?

I did it manually last time with a pressurized bleeder and hosed up canisters to the calipers, but assuming the Tech 2 makes the process simpler (when I look up the specifics).

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
so the dealer told me $140 per issue, so I told them to hold off on the airbag issue until I at least take a look (ignored it completely while dealing with SWPS), I could tell the tech had the airbag off because I had an extra set of airbag clips so I know he knew exactly what was wrong (based on codes and being under the bag probably looking right at my clock spring fuck up), and they have the nerve to ask if I want them to look at the airbag or not, them knowing exactly what it was and hoping I would say yes to bill the extra 140, then offer to purchase/install clock spring at god knows what price (500?).

This was after I asked them (service advisor and top tech) if there is a tech2 relearn/reset process for SWPS and walking them through exactly what I did while replacing balancer and they didn't really give an answer. (although from all my research (including you guys concurring), that a new ignition start should clear the current MIL if the condition is gone, information about a reset required doesn't' seem to be out there on the interwebs and not referenced at all in service manual.

I also mentioned I literally have a tech2 coming the next day so them withholding that is a dick move.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Gotta remember, they're in the business of making money...

I will say this from working in a Chevy dealership service department, a lot depends on the service manager. Some service manager's are "By the book people" and nothing in a "grey" area flies. Then there are others who understand customer service, and know how to work the system (what we were...), and understand how to make a happy customer even if it means breaking an egg (so to speak), in the process.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Around 2006 (when it slowly started to trickle in), and by 2009/2010, GM had phased out Tech2's in favor of a new PC based MDI (Multiple Diagnostic Interface) system. It basically is kinda like using the Tech 2 in "pass through" mode (where it's the middle man, connected between the vehicle and the service terminal).

Now MDI is being supplanted with MDI 2;

https://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/...o-mdi-2-diagnostic-gm-vehicles-newsletter.pdf

With that said, there are still some things that a legacy Tech2 logistically works better at, if it will still hook up to the vehicle in question. I think by about 2014, most GM vehicles no longer communicated with a Tech2 even with a CANdi.

It sucks because you can't really buy it and run it as a hobby'ist because it requires a subscription and obviously a connection to a terminal linked to the Tech Center. Second, one of the brilliance and simplicity of the Tech2 (unlike Chrysler and ford diagnostic tools through the years), is that it was as flexible as it was by being able to be used as long as it was, with simple interfaces (Like a CANdi module), yet still retain the core functionality of the tool. This MDI is a whole new ball of wax. Chrysler went through two scan tools (maybe a third) in the same time frame. DRBIII's, and then StarSCAN.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info