gm 3400. is there any hope?

mat0485

Reaction score
So my neighbor has a 2003 monte carol 3.4 liter and is asking if or what he can do to it. Looks like hes got the most base model available. So does anyone know? can they be super/turbo charged? can it handle and boost? i've peaked and seen virtually no after market mods for it... I'd jsut like to have an answere for him so he can just enjoy it for what it is.

Thanks

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
I think some company might have an aftermarket cam and or rocker package. It should be able to be tuned with a DHP powertuner.

I know there is a GM supercharger kit that fits 3400 Grand Ams, but it is expensive and rare.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
I think some company might have an aftermarket cam and or rocker package. It should be able to be tuned with a DHP powertuner.

I know there is a GM supercharger kit that fits 3400 Grand Ams, but it is expensive and rare.
and it will still run 15s lol

OP
mat0485

mat0485

Reaction score
yea... he then wants to 3800 swap... its still a base car.. doesnt even have fog lights.. i'm trying to tell him if he is interested jsut sell it buy a gtp for under 5gs and be happpy with a much faster car and many more options. I just wanted to see if there was anything for it..

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
and it will still run 15s lol
Nah, I think the slowest one I saw run was low 14s. Low 13s was the fastest. This was years ago though before cams were coming out.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I like the Monte's a lot inside, but if his is a base model it's better to go all out on a 3800 build since the car is probably a flyweight. I wouldn't try and make it "nice" though being a base model.

BillyBru

FoodHead
Reaction score
my dad has a z34 and my bro said that some guy on here had a turbo or was selling turbo kits for Montes. I think that would be pretty sick. I think it would be the same :dunno:

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Reaction score
Z-spec sells a 62mm throttle body (they claim 10hp increase) for $250 as well as a supercharger kit for $3600.

http://www.z-spec.com/catalog.htm

The parts for 3400 engines are listed under the Grand Am tab

62 mm Throttle Body
The diameter of the TB is 62 mm right through
with a 62 mm diameter CNC throttle plate.
Bolt-on install, 10+ HP gain.Available for 3100 and 3400 Engines
Supercharger Kit
Includes Vortech Supercharger,
all brackets and oil lines, belt and pulleys, ECU
programming, adjustable blow-off valve,
Induction Piping, and K&N cone filter. Gain is up to
80 HP and 75 ft/lbs of torque with 6-8 PSI boost. ECU Tuning add $500.00

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Its a pile of scrap. If he wants to make it go "fast" save up for an l67 swap. That motor will make more power with some rockers and the easy peasy bolt on shit than if you put a turbo or sc on the 3400.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
my dad has a z34 and my bro said that some guy on here had a turbo or was selling turbo kits for Montes. I think that would be pretty sick. I think it would be the same :dunno:
Dad's is a 3800. The 3400 is a different engine all together. It's a successor to the turd engine that I had in my 96 Grand Prix coupe.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a guy on here with a turbo 3400, though. Black GAGT coupe, IIRC.

OP
mat0485

mat0485

Reaction score
but like stated and as people agreed. .. why do it to a base model. but thanks for the help guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom