Geigo Good; Cadillac Bad

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
You asked who is buying an Xt5, and i told you who. I didn't say it was me, i'd never be in the market for a crossover I think they are useless.

But there is many people in the USA who only want USA Brand and made cars, and on top of that only want Union Built cars. Same reason you'll see most places buy 4 door F150s over Silverados, they don't want a Mexican made truck. Also the reason people that won't shop at Walmarts, won't patronized a business that uses Scab Labor, won't buy Oreo cookies, won't buy anything from hostess, i could keep going.

It has nothing to do with a Volkswagen being 400 dollars cheaper, people simply don't care about the brand or any of its models as they would rather buy American.
You just described a buddy of mine to a T. He is a union sheet metal worker.

Has a "Proud Union Home" sign in his front yard. Union brain wash is insane!

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm not disputing that that's why people buy certain cars but I can't think of a single metric where this beats the Germans. The Germans tend to lease much better as well. It has no features the Germans don't have, it's more expensive and has less equipment, it has worse gas mileage, it doesn't feel nearly as premium inside and the list goes on. People have all sorts of different reasons for why they pick one car over another. Efficiency, interior quality, features, price point, value, etc. The XT5 beats the Germans on none of these metrics. You couldn't compare one of them where the XT5 would come out ahead. This has to be a case of the GM sedans where nobody actually buys them; they're just all sold as fleet vehicles.

I think that assertion is hard to quantify, at least not without sitting down, building out what I would want in each, then comparing and contrasting and what's more important as a key metric to the buyer.

As I did a quick search, The Cadillac's allow for greater mileage windows than the Audi, but require more cash at signing and were cheaper on the monthly payment. The Audi's require less at signing, but also have much less mileage window and were more expensive monthly.

At the end of the day, really a moot point to me as it's neither are on my radar to be quite honest and it seems as though Cadillac is selling them quite well as I see them all over the place and posted the YoY sales gains earlier.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The funny thing is that 4 of the Top 6 Automobiles with the highest domestic content are foreign makes/models. Most cars in the US use a good percentage of non US sourced parts no matter if it's made by the UAW or not.

That being said, Mike K is spot on regarding questioning why people buy Cadillacs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info