• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Gas gauge

Xtant12

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen a gas gauge go crazy when it gets low.. When im under a half its fine, but as it gets lower it randomly shoots up and so does the miles on my display... Then it will fall and it basically moves up and down when ever it wants.. Its weird.. Anyone know what it could be from???

I

imported_GraFFix

Let me guess you both have 97's

I forget what its exactly called but by the fuel pump, the housing has a float that reads the gas level in the car...that floats up and down along some electric contacts...the circuit that reads that and send the info to the gauge is craped out. A new one is an insane amount of money or so ive heard. Ed can get you a newer housing and you can swap your old pump into the newer one. I have one sitting here but never bothered changing it.

My car has done this forever...I just got used to it. Once I get under a half a tank it starts going haywire...if I run it till its almost empty then it starts reading the correct fuel level again.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
just get a new float from ed morad and cut/splice the two purple wires attached to it... no need to get a whole new assembly

1997's require a special one that reads 0-90ohms... 98+ reads 40-240ohms... i found that out the hard way

Xtant12

Reaction score
Let me guess you both have 97's

I forget what its exactly called but by the fuel pump, the housing has a float that reads the gas level in the car...that floats up and down along some electric contacts...the circuit that reads that and send the info to the gauge is craped out. A new one is an insane amount of money or so ive heard. Ed can get you a newer housing and you can swap your old pump into the newer one. I have one sitting here but never bothered changing it.

My car has done this forever...I just got used to it. Once I get under a half a tank it starts going haywire...if I run it till its almost empty then it starts reading the correct fuel level again.
[/b]

Mine is an 01...

I

imported_Xerxeis

My 99 does it, if it's not staying put either up or down, it seems to follow my tac...

I

imported_GraFFix

just get a new float from ed morad and cut/splice the two purple wires attached to it... no need to get a whole new assembly
[/b]
yea I just remembered all that after reading your post. Ed just gave me the whole assembly last time I was down there and told me to take it apart...lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom