Fun family hauler $32k and under.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I don't know why but I see the newer Durango's fitting your requirements.

Might be out of his dollar range and the MPG is rough compared to the Jetta, Escape, etc. They are very safe, but, very large as well aside from going to a full size Tahoe, Suburban, etc.

OP - You should decide first if she wants an SUV or a car. Then decide what "fun" is. Does she want something fast so she can race everything, or, use it when she needs the power?

Most of my friends have have 1-2 or more kids all wish they had SUV's. By the time you get two adults, two kids and ever try a road trip, a car, albeit even a 4 door, won't cut it comfortably. Think about this when you go grocery shopping and you bring the kids with you. Space will be limited and tight.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
With our one kid and multiple dogs, I had a 2 door VW GTI when my daughter was born. It was just about right, but needed four doors. I then went to a VW Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.5, and loved the expansive cargo room and the way it drove. But I got bored with the non-turbo in it as it didn't have enough "oomph" to satisfy me.

Currently, I have a 2014 Jetta sedan with the 1.8 turbo with an APR tune on it. This hits all the right spots for me right now. It was cheap to buy with the manual. The trunk is HUGE. A cheap rear sway bar really helped the handling but didn't sacrifice ride quality. I get over 30mpg in mixed driving, and have gotten over 40mpg on the highway. A tune can be had with 87 or 93 octane if you want more power, or there are plug in devices as well to add more fuel and boost. The GLI is of course a little more powerful and a little more sporty, but I couldn't justify the extra expense of the GLI versus what I could do to tweak the car on my own.

If I needed more space for kid stuff again, I'd absolutely go with the VW Golf Sportwagen. They have the 1.8 turbo and are also available in AWD. If you can get past the "it's a station wagon mentality", you'll find they handle better than any SUV and are typically more fun to drive. Big panoramic roof, CarPlay, Android Auto, and plenty of safety features. Definitely check out a few of the VW offerings while you are there.

Sportwagen is a nice option and in her price range but it's a matter of getting her to look at one. She gets something in her head like the Crosstrek and it's nearly impossible to get her out of it (and she says I'm stubborn) but she's coming around a bit and is becoming more open to other options. Luckily there's a VW dealer not far from the Subaru dealer on Randall which isn't far from the house. Hell a Sportwagen might become an option for me if I ever want to get rid of my truck. Modding one wouldn't be that hard with the aftermarket support from companies like APR etc. Regardless I'm not forcing her to do anything, she'll get what she wants without me even considering forcing her to do anything and I may give an opinion if I'm even asked when it comes time to sign on the dotted line.

I don't know why but I see the newer Durango's fitting your requirements.

Out of her price range. I have a friend that works at a Dodge/Jeep dealer and I'll see what he can come up with for prices on a Grand Cherokee.

OP - You should decide first if she wants an SUV or a car. Then decide what "fun" is. Does she want something fast so she can race everything, or, use it when she needs the power?

Most of my friends have have 1-2 or more kids all wish they had SUV's. By the time you get two adults, two kids and ever try a road trip, a car, albeit even a 4 door, won't cut it comfortably. Think about this when you go grocery shopping and you bring the kids with you. Space will be limited and tight.

Fast/quick is always a good thing when it's needed, she won't be racing anything anytime soon but she won't be super happy in something that can't even get out of its own way. I know for fact that she won't be happy in anything that's dog shit slow and can't pass a car without scheduling an appointment. Replace fast or quick with "peppy" and that's closer to the target.
My crew cab Silverado has plenty of room for everything we'd need to haul and is already the designated road trip/load up and go anywhere vehicle (even now if we're going to the same place with just the dog we're in my truck). If an SUV is eventually needed (be it big or a mid-size) I'll be the one buying it for myself since most SUV's are out of her price range.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
um. ready for the yaj yak wildcard?

Polestar T6...345 HP...13.0 1/4's (in the S60, so the V60 isn't far behind) :eek3:

yeah c & d was 13.4 for the V60 for the 1/4 :rofl:

white works for it too.

5da5e4b046e2c12d456d911ee67.jpg

05bac1a0233425bf79e761b2e0e.jpg

this looks comfy.

c0a4d505653ec71ce4760b269be.jpg

i know it isn't a 16, and i know it's not new, but certified used have great warranty, and i think you can find certified ones of these for around your price range.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/689912793/overview/

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Escape =\= fun

My vote is for an EcoBoost Flex (albeit the mileage isn't great) or a Volvo like [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] posted. That Volvo is quick...like low 13 1/4's quick. Interior is fucking fantastic, dead nuts reliable, great warranty, even on non-CPO, and from my experience a great dealer network.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Escape =\= fun

My vote is for an EcoBoost Flex (albeit the mileage isn't great) or a Volvo like [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] posted. That Volvo is quick...like low 13 1/4's quick. Interior is fucking fantastic, dead nuts reliable, great warranty, even on non-CPO, and from my experience a great dealer network.

yeah, id do an EcoBoost flex before an escape too.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Wasn't there an MPG requirement? That would take an SRT8 Jeep off this list in a hurry...

That takes the SRT8 off MY mpg requirement with that thirsty bitch.

Considering when we have a kid I'll have to go from Villa Park (work) to Buffalo Grove (my Mom volunteered for babysitting) to Elgin (home) the extra mileage even in my truck might kick my ass and I might have to get a more fuel efficient vehicle. Audi wagon? LOL

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I'd be down.

I'll have to take some weight out, though.

Is your wifes sport tuned?

If so, forget about it!

Oh, is that you turning into the parking lot near Dunkin Donuts most days?

Her Explorer is stock...no tune. Only "mod" is tinted front windows...lol. She says no to a tune, I'm waiting for the warranty to be done and I'm loading one on anyways though.

And that is me turning into DD. Large coffee...black, at least 3 days a week, lol!

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Her Explorer is stock...no tune. Only "mod" is tinted front windows...lol. She says no to a tune, I'm waiting for the warranty to be done and I'm loading one on anyways though.

And that is me turning into DD. Large coffee...black, at least 3 days a week, lol!

son of a gun! I see you several times a week. I had a feeling that was you.

Wanted to do a ricer flyby as you were turning and hit my hazards to claim victory.

Should be a decent match-up.

OP - Look into the sports. They are nice. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info