Fuck Turbo Tax

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Junk ass bullshit company. Its always been free. Always. Now, since I have to file a k1, it jumps up to 80 bucks. ON TOP OF THAT, state jumps up to 30 or 40 bucks. And they lock my 2016 forms so I cant even access them to review last year. I have no idea where I saved my files to so thats my fault but even so..fuck this greedy company.
Why don't you just download turbotax. Don't go through online on turbotax.com.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I usually go through TurboTax with all my itemized (married-filing separately) taxes and deductions. I get an idea of what I should get and I then go to my guy. I like to use it as comparisons. This year it was about $1k difference. Couldn't pull the long forms from TurboTax.com so I downloaded it, logged in and uploaded my turbotax file I saved from the site. Everything opened up and I saved the long form.

Just get a copy of the turbotax you need for the interwebs and you'll be good.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I've used FreeTaxUSA for yearrrrrrrrs and never had any issues. Last year I did give credit karma a try and that worked well also. Might go back w/ them this year. But, I am also single and have aquired nothing of value in life, so my taxes have always been straightforward.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yea I had to pay $119 cause I filled a 1099 MISC . I filled state for free though the .gov site .

I had no idea they hold your old taxes for ransom

Same here. It ended up being closer to $160 by the time it was all said and done.

Then, for whatever reason, Illinois kept rejecting my filing...So I have to print it out and do it by mail.

I would have been better off paying the CPA like I should have in the first place.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
It usually takes me about 12 hours to go through everything ( at least to my liking) when I prepare for taxes. That's just the preparation. I find my deductions and organize them, as well as organize my income (W2s, 1099s, ect), and anything else I may need. I write everything out on paper and separate them whether it be personal, work, or business. I also have to do inventory and try to categorize everything, break down to the percentage of usage of my cell phone (work, business, personal), as well as utilities and anything else I may have used for work or business.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Turbo tax hasn't been free in years. Wife and I have been using it for many many years.

It's usually under $100 every time and accountants tend to charge 2-3 times that and really don't get you much more back.

We are married, filing separately, have mortgage/property taxes, interest, student loans, etc. Takes us less than an hour to file every year.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It HAS been free, and its free now if you're not filing anything other than a w2...stage is 29 bucks I think.. I filed for free last year...and the year before that :rofl: But again, likely because all I had for income was a w2, nothing else mortgage wise, etc.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Just used Turbotax. paid the 29.99 since I had an HSA in 2017, it saved me an additional $300 so I wasn't too upset. I got to the end and read an agreement that states they charge you $39.99 to pay for turbo tax out of your refund so I'm glad i caught that one and paid with card.

I'll be using an accountant next year seeing as I'll qualify for a bunch of weird deductions for travel.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Turbo tax hasn't been free in years. Wife and I have been using it for many many years.

It's usually under $100 every time and accountants tend to charge 2-3 times that and really don't get you much more back.

We are married, filing separately, have mortgage/property taxes, interest, student loans, etc. Takes us less than an hour to file every year.

Your going to the wrong accountant then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info