Front end noise

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I've heard an axle make a "grinding" type noise, I suppose it could be considered a hum, if you've never heard cupped tires or bad bearings before..

Made a click when stopping or accelerating, after turning right. So I turned around and all noises went away, turned back around and everything got worse right away. Drove it back to my work, got it on a lift and It fell apart into many pieces upon removal. Can't find the picture though.. Was quite the sight.

What you are describing is 99% of the time a tire or wheel bearing issue. Is it possible you have a bent wheel? Or that you hammered on the axle nut for way too long with way too strong of an impact and wrecked the new hubs? Or perhaps they were bad hubs out of the box, I have seen that 2 or 3 times over several years. I suspect when that happens they were an open box/returned item that got dirt contamination or something previously. Driveshafts won't typically make that kind of noise, just sometimes cause a vibration at certain speeds, or click/bind when turning sharply.

A bent brake shield can rub on the rotor and cause noise, but it wouldn't be like you are describing. I have seen a time or two the fender plastics getting into the tire and causing a whining noise at speed if they aren't secured properly or are damaged/flapping...or if the wheels/tires are way too big for the car. You could have a rotor warped badly enough to be making rotational noise, but most likely if that were the case you would feel it in the wheel so badly on braking that the cause would be obvious.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
12764604_10153571439388772_5765758282708863788_o.jpg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Just a little update, finally found time to fix this yesterday. Replaced the right side engine mount, but that wasn't the problem causing all the noise. We jacked the pass side up and put it in drive and let the wheel spin at idle, and the noise was there. Did the same to the driver side, it was quiet.

Went to Advance and got a new CV axle and a new hub/bearing. Took it apart, popped the hub off, bearings were shot. So tossed the new hub in, took it for a drive. Quiet and smooth, problem solved. That was the hub we changed in Sept last year.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info