Front end noise

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
The front end on my 04 GTPCG is noisy when driving. The best way I can describe the road noise is a humming, like a 4x4 with big off road tires going down the highway. There may be 2 noises actually, possibly related...similar road noise but it pulsates for a second at a time. Noise doesn't seem to be affected by turning one way or the other, however the noise does change when I hit a bump in the road.

I have changed both front hub/bearings (pass side in Sept last year, dr side last week) and put new tires on last week as well, with no chance in noise. Brakes are good. Does this sound like possibly cv joints/axleshafts or possibly a bushing/motor mount I should be looking at?

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
does it change with speed, is it there when stopped at idle?

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
Not there at idle, it's something that rotates while moving. Can be heard at low speeds also, however the pulsating slows at low speeds then gets faster with more speed. At 60mph it pulses for a second at a time.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
when was your last allignment? could be outer tierods? sway bar end links...

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
I'll vote C/V axles. Does the sound come from either side of the car?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
You have 2 different issues.

The humming noise you are describing is either a bad wheel bearing or uneven wear on the tire. Run you hands around the tire, if it's smooth then they're fine. If you feel any ridges or bumps, you'll get a humming noise from them.

The noise over bumps is usually ball joints, tire rods, or sway bar end links.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
^^^ That. Very likely a wheel bearing.

EDIT: NVM, looks like you changed them. I apparently cannot read. :picard:

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
but it is possable to get a bad wheel bearing from a vendor. i wouldnt throw that issue out the window just yet. more like put in on the back shelf and check other things first.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
how to the tires look? try doing a rotation front to back and see if the noise changes. what brand bearings did you get? if it's a cheap one then it's possible you got a bad one out of the box

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
tires were put on last week, shouldnt be bad even if something was off.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
I'll vote C/V axles. Does the sound come from either side of the car?
I thought is was the driver side, when my buddy rode with me he said it sounded like pass side.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
Im not sure what brand the bearings are, got them from RockAuto.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's like every single thing that makes the noise you're explaining from the front end has been replaced recently :rofl: I almost felt like we were being trolled lol. It would be so much better if we could hear the actual sound, but nothing is like riding in the car. Unless you want to pick up a bunch of people you don't know and take them for a ride? :naughtyd:

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Except outer tie rods.

Jack tje front of the car up and see if the wheel moves if you push / pull on it

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
How much did you tighten the nuts to?

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
lol I may be able to do that.

The noise started quiet then progressively got worse. I was confident that the left bearing was bad, so we replaced that. Took it for a test drive and to my surprise the noise was still there. My friend was fairly confident then that my tires were the culprit. He said his made the same noise when they were down to the wear bars because by then they got pretty hard. I knew my front tires were almost down to the wear bars and it was about time to replace them, so I had new ones put on. I pulled out and again, no change to the noise. I just wanted to get opinions before I ponied up the money for new axles.

I guess it's possible that the hub I replaced last year is shot already. I just with there was a way to check.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
I didn't check for wheel play. Not sure what my buddy torqued the axle nuts to. He may have just used an impact. Are those sensitive to being overtorqued?

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Usually when a hub goes out it throws a code for the abs.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
I had an intermittent ABS/TC/Stability control fault, but not since I did the pass side bearing last year. That fixed a different noise I was having, a squeal. The noise now sounds different from when that bearing was bad.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention...not sure if noise is related or not, but when I come to a stop, I hear a light clunk when the trans downshifts into 1st. Not even a clunk, more like a single click. The harder Im braking, the louder it seems when it downshifts

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can you hear the clicking when going around a corner?

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
Nope, there's really no change in noise when I turn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom