Frank's random auction purchases/ daily driver work trucks thread.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc update!

Got the o2’s replaced today. Man they shove those upstreams in there, ended up being easiest to just pull the flares and inner fender wells. Everything went smoothly, Denso replacements are in.

Truck runs way better. It used to knock/detonate when applying throttle while cruising, which I’m assuming was due to it over fueling and adding timing because the Alcohol percentage calculations were so off and it damn near running on the E85 map. They were 65% before the o2 replacements, after an immediate refueling event, 100 miles of driving and another refueling event just to be certain, they dropped to 17%. I would still like to see them be where the ACTUALLY should be (sub 10%) but I will take it for now. Not sure if there’s anything else tune-up related I can do to improve upon that or if I simply need to recalibrate it.

I’m curious how the cold start is going to be tomorrow. This is how it used to be before any repairs, it got marginally better after the intake gaskets, but was still about 70% shit. Also smelled like a small engine starting on choke as far as richness goes and even puffed some blueish fuel smoke until it cleared up.

Reactions: Jon01

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc update!

Got the o2’s replaced today. Man they shove those upstreams in there, ended up being easiest to just pull the flares and inner fender wells. Everything went smoothly, Denso replacements are in.

Truck runs way better. It used to knock/detonate when applying throttle while cruising, which I’m assuming was due to it over fueling and adding timing because the Alcohol percentage calculations were so off and it damn near running on the E85 map. They were 65% before the o2 replacements, after an immediate refueling event, 100 miles of driving and another refueling event just to be certain, they dropped to 17%. I would still like to see them be where the ACTUALLY should be (sub 10%) but I will take it for now. Not sure if there’s anything else tune-up related I can do to improve upon that or if I simply need to recalibrate it.

I’m curious how the cold start is going to be tomorrow. This is how it used to be before any repairs, it got marginally better after the intake gaskets, but was still about 70% shit. Also smelled like a small engine starting on choke as far as richness goes and even puffed some blueish fuel smoke until it cleared up.

Not sure if you saw my post with the south main auto video? Seems when I posted it Tapatalk messed up the link. I fixed it.

What would happen if you just disconnected the battery and went from there? If you even wanted to bother.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
you should always do a hard reset of the pcm after 02's....puts the pcm in a rapid learn mode, right now your pcm is very slowly undoing all its adaptives, reset adaptives, do a hard reset/battery disconnect

I had the batteries disconnected for a few hours doing the intake gaskets the day before with no drive time in between.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Not sure if you saw my post with the south main auto video? Seems when I posted it Tapatalk messed up the link. I fixed it.

What would happen if you just disconnected the battery and went from there? If you even wanted to bother.

I did watch it err listen to it while driving the morning you posted it, it’s where I got a lot of the info I needed, I’ll have to watch again if I’m missing something lol

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
This thread is amazing. I feel like you're running a real life version of SnowRunner (trucking based video game). Always fascinating seeing how well the fleet trucks fare depending on the maintenance and abuse.

Thanks man. It’s a fun business to be in, but at the end of the day I do this just because I love these things. I’ve pretty much figured out that there’s enough people out there that like what I like, so I just buy what I like lol.

COVID has really messed stuff up this year, there would’ve probably been 3-4x the volume of vehicles, tons of good Snapchat stories from live auctions, etc for me to share on here but that wasn’t in the cards for 2020 lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just always end up with high mileage vehicles even private purchases for my personal use. Far lower cost of entry because everyone is scared of them, and I drive A LOT, so I’ve never found it worthwhile to pay a premium for something with low miles.

Take my Yukon for example... I paid $1,100 for it at a Ritchie Bros auction. It had brand new brake lines, fuel lines, power steering lines and trans lines done on it within probably the last year I would assume. It has newer Toyo AT tires, very clean inside and presentable enough outside.

It needed a drivers front wheel bearing when I picked it up, bought a pair off rock auto for $55/ea. Ended up needing rear brakes since a stuck caliper pin caused a pad to go metal on metal with the rotor. So it got $28 rear rotors and new AC Delco pads all around to the tune of $65. Some time with the cheek poker on my bench grinder and I got the brackets and pins cleaned up enough to be confident, new grommets for $10 at the parts store.

No piston slap, ticks, knocks, broken manifold bolts to speak of on its 288,000 mile drivetrain. 4x4 engages quickly and without issue... The truck makes like 68 pounds of cold oil pressure and mid 40’s hot at idle for fucks sake :rofl:

I have $1,313 into a truck with a Bose stereo, great heat and a comfortable ride that does 85 down the interstate without a shake or shimmy lol. If I ever come across a nicer front bumper, fender flares to allow me to treat and cover the rust and some plastic rocker covers, cool. If not, IDGAF. I have nice shit, it sits in the garage because I’m too neurotic to drive it.

F34F4E75-4324-46DE-8063-384D04C68F1B.jpeg

95E1DCFB-9452-4F84-AD77-632185A29CCF.jpeg

0969C30E-84F3-448E-AFA4-C7068C2036EB.jpeg

7593958A-0D4E-4E13-84AF-A045F2F9DE5F.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Figured you guys might like some of these. Links are in picture order if I didn’t fuck up lol.

45A251B2-FB29-4F6A-B91D-F0C071C5F706.jpeg

9166B0AE-4C41-4A30-A53B-453CCD821C85.jpeg

B26DD55F-4830-4F26-A036-CFABD6C3DD3F.jpeg

E45602C3-7C05-4892-8A32-296244F44ED4.jpeg

00F6E775-4524-4A6B-833F-6CA1ADB0D5D9.jpeg

E7C94C19-FA80-4F06-8509-662949B662B8.jpeg

Thread Info