• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Focus Pumps or KB B-A-P??

Focus pumps or BAP

• Focusssssssss

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • KB BAP

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
Aug 25, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Son of a Bitch!

I just read that info from Kenny Bell and I'm pissed. I hate when I don't look hard enough at a subject. I have the dual Focus set up and I'm OK, but I fear failure, and also, I realise that because of my FKG GVT,,,, ALCOHOL eats pumps...it's only a matter of time that one will fail and so then I will put back my Cobra pums and get the BAP?

I also just realized I didn't get my original pumps back from Sutton....WTF? I hope they still have them.

Either one works well. We have used both succesfully. The big problem I see with the BAP is poorly wired installs. If you lose a connection (or a fuse) at a 6000 rpm 2-3 shift it gets UGLY real fast. We've seen the aftermath from some "quality" installs. (a bit like a train wreck- horrific but you can't help looking) We've installed Focus pumps for over a year and have not had a failure yet. Harsh fuel will damage a Cobra pump the same as a Focus pump. As for horsepower limits, we've used twin focus pumps right at 600 HP. I would think they could support more but the rails, lines, filters, etc. would be the cork then. If I were to go that crazy the safe thing to do is return system with appropriate parts. ( I know of a certain '05 Stang with just such a fuel system :cool2: ) Dennis I have plenty of Cobra pumps around if you need them back but i would stay with your Focus set up.

Cobra Dude

Regular
Mar 19, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Son of a Bitch!

I just read that info from Kenny Bell and I'm pissed. I hate when I don't look hard enough at a subject. I have the dual Focus set up and I'm OK, but I fear failure, and also, I realise that because of my FKG GVT,,,, ALCOHOL eats pumps...it's only a matter of time that one will fail and so then I will put back my Cobra pums and get the BAP?

I also just realized I didn't get my original pumps back from Sutton....WTF? I hope they still have them.

Relax Dennis, the dual focus set up will do the job without stress. The BAP is just stressing the cobra pumps by making them work harder. I have the dual focus set up and you don't see me under stress.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
jerry@sutton hp said:
Either one works well. We have used both succesfully. The big problem I see with the BAP is poorly wired installs. If you lose a connection (or a fuse) at a 6000 rpm 2-3 shift it gets UGLY real fast. We've seen the aftermath from some "quality" installs. (a bit like a train wreck- horrific but you can't help looking) We've installed Focus pumps for over a year and have not had a failure yet. Harsh fuel will damage a Cobra pump the same as a Focus pump. As for horsepower limits, we've used twin focus pumps right at 600 HP. I would think they could support more but the rails, lines, filters, etc. would be the cork then. If I were to go that crazy the safe thing to do is return system with appropriate parts. ( I know of a certain '05 Stang with just such a fuel system :cool2: ) Dennis I have plenty of Cobra pumps around if you need them back but i would stay with your Focus set up.

OH no I'm all freaked out now and gonna cry my ass off!

So you've seen "quality" installs go bad??????

I'm not surprised, I just think I "had" the right stuff and "you guy's" could have done just fine installing it, but Doug called it a band aid type of application which the article doesn't really indicate. It looks to me like I'm missing something, and just cause a few nitwits didn't do it right doesn't mean the application is not the best choice.

As far as "my" pumps go....the more I think about it, I know why they were'nt in my car or the return was overlooked.....because somebody was busy getting a certain Mustang to run it's balls off.......Mine!

Much less Black Beast your working on every day.

I wasn't worried, I just want "MY COBRA" to be as close to stock as possible, and having the original pumps is cooler to present than having to "upgrade" if you will, you know where I'm comming from? The better the original product the better it is for all of us.

Aug 25, 2004
Since 1964 said:

I'm not surprised, I just think I "had" the right stuff and "you guy's" could have done just fine installing it, but Doug called it a band aid type of application which the article doesn't really indicate. It looks to me like I'm missing something, and just cause a few nitwits didn't do it right doesn't mean the application is not the best choice.

As far as "my" pumps go....the more I think about it, I know why they were'nt in my car or the return was overlooked.....because somebody was busy getting a certain Mustang to run it's balls off.......Mine!

I wasn't worried, I just want "MY COBRA" to be as close to stock as possible, and having the original pumps is cooler to present than having to "upgrade" if you will, you know where I'm comming from? The better the original product the better it is for all of us.
what was meant by my comment, " either one works well " is just that. When either system is installed and working correctly it does what it's designed to do. (supply extra fuel volume) But what Doug says is true, BAP is just a band-aid for a component (fuel pump) that's not big enough. IMHO if you have to add extra parts and pieces to a system to get it to work properly the system parts should be upgraded not added to.(controller, wiring, rheostat, fuse, etc.) Why add extra parts to fail when a part can be upgraded to work properly. We have used BAP succesfully but only at the customers request. If I had to choose between the two I would intall the Focus pumps every time. That doesn't mean if you have a BAP tear it out and install Focus pumps. It means my logic says "keep it simple stupid" (not aimed at anybody-just a phrase). A box full of parts and wiring added to two existing pumps or replace two pumps with two better pumps? :confused:

Aug 25, 2004
Since 1964 said:

Dennis, if you need a shoulder to cry on we're just a phone call away!! :crying: :joke: I've been known to cry too. But only when I can't get this slow 10.3 GT into the 9's !!!! :lmao:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
jerry@sutton hp said:
Dennis, if you need a shoulder to cry on we're just a phone call away!! :crying: :joke: I've been known to cry too. But only when I can't get this slow 10.3 GT into the 9's !!!! :lmao:

Oh I am a big baby, I know. Feeling foolish just sucks so bad.
I am not concerned about this any more though, "really", I've learned enough now. I'm confident we did the right thing. :eek:h:

:argue: close, but NOT!

RWTD

Aug 26, 2005
***Sorry that this old thread was brought back up to the top (yet again, lol).***

I vote for the BAP on the stock Cobra pumps, provided the BAP is wired properly. I feel wiring *before* the FPDM, following the wiring update schematic provided by mjchip, is the best method of wiring the BAP. The BAP on the stock pumps is good between 600 and 650 rwhp (depending on the vehicle). I refuse to tune a vehicle with a subpar fuel system (trust me, my customers will one day thank me because of this).

Although, if funds aren't an option, you could run the Focus pumps with the BAP, as well. As long as one's factory Delta is not raised, there will not be any issue with the Focus pumps blowing off at high pressure levels (what KB talks about in their article). There also shouldn't be any thermal related issues with the factory FPDM, although it's always a smart move to go ahead and have mjchip (Zone-5; www.mafterburner.com) upgrade it (the factory FPDM). I personally am going to be running the Aviator pumps with an upgraded stock FPDM, along with the BAP. Remember tho, in order to run the Aviator pumps, and I believe even without a BAP, one *must* have their FPDM upgraded, otherwise the FPDM will go into thermal overload, which will prevent the pumps from properly flowing (BOOM!).

For what it's worth, I've *never* seen Focus pumps *not* hit 100% duty cycle after 550 Actual rwhp, and I have dealt with a *lot* of customers attempting to get away with these pumps at power levels above 550 rwhp. As we all know, if pumps are 100% duty cycle, that means they are not capable of flowing any more additional volume of fuel. Focus pumps past 525 to 550 rwhp is just asking for a trouble.

Kind Regards,

James

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
RWTD said:
***Sorry that this old thread was brought back up to the top (yet again, lol).***

I vote for the BAP on the stock Cobra pumps, provided the BAP is wired properly. I feel wiring *before* the FPDM, following the wiring update schematic provided by mjchip, is the best method of wiring the BAP. The BAP on the stock pumps is good between 600 and 650 rwhp (depending on the vehicle). I refuse to tune a vehicle with a subpar fuel system (trust me, my customers will one day thank me because of this).

Although, if funds aren't an option, you could run the Focus pumps with the BAP, as well, and since I do not ever raise the factory Delta in any of my tunes, there will not be any issue with the Focus pumps blowing off at high pressure levels. I personally am going to be running the Aviator pumps with an upgraded stock FPDM (by mjchip), along with the BAP. However, in order to run the Aviator pumps one *must* have their FPDM upgraded by mjchip, otherwise the FPDM will go into thermal overload, and prevent the pumps from properly flowing.

For what it's worth, I've *never* seen Focus pumps *not* hit 100% duty cycle after 550 Actual rwhp, and I have dealt with a *lot* of customers attempting to get away with these pumps at power levels above 550 rwhp. As we all know, if pumps are 100% duty cycle, that means they are not capable of flowing any more additional volume of fuel. Focus pumps past 525 to 550 rwhp is just asking for a trouble.

Kind Regards,

James

Great info... Welcome to the site.

Makes me wish I did more research before going with the Focus pumps, but ohh well.

I am hitting 91% and I am only at 466 RWHP! :(

RWTD

Aug 26, 2005
WASSUP Jay! ;)

Wiked03, yeah, I feel your pain, bud. This so unfortunately happens much too often. Many people are given information that is just not reliable for most. Sure, some get more range from the Focus pumps, and even their stock pumps, than others, but it's one in very few.

P.s. BTW, I updated my post above (after you quoted it).

Thanks!

James

Thread Info