First Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive to move under its own power in almost 60 years

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I work in elmhurst so I can see this friday?!

West Chicago, Ill.
Union Pacific Larry S. Provo Training Center
335 Spencer St. Arrival 2:30 p.m. CT

That's west of Elmhurst, so I wonder what time it would come through Elmhurst, like 1:30-2pm?

More information on its duration in WeGo:

What: Union Pacific's Big Boy No. 4014 steam locomotive and the Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car

When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday

Where: Larry S. Provo Training Center, 335 Spencer St., West Chicago

Cost: Free

Getting there: For those traveling from out of town, taking the Metra is advised. Parking is available at the West Chicago Metra Depot, 508 Main St., a roughly 10-minute walk from the training center.

Info: www.westchicago.org or www.up.com.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Like I said before, google map Spencer St. and Wilson Ave. That'll get you there. Coming off 59, turn on to Main St. (McDonald's is on the corner), take that over to Wilson, go over the bridge and as soon as you're off the bridge, that is Spencer St. The Metra lot is right before Wilson St. on Main.

The Metra lot is across the tracks from where this will be, but should have sufficient parking. The UP facility next to the police station will probably be packed, and it's hard to park in the police station since they have most of their spots filled with squad cars (a couple Caprices too), under the bridge.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I work in elmhurst so I can see this friday?!

West Chicago, Ill.
Union Pacific Larry S. Provo Training Center
335 Spencer St. Arrival 2:30 p.m. CT

Thats west of elmhurst so I wonder what time it would come through elmhurst. like 130 2pm?

It isn't going through Elmhurst. It is staying in West Chicago for a couple days.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
After those three days in WeGo.

Also, for those parking in the Metra lot, there are some tunnels that run under the tracks. They may be tempting, but those won't get you across the tracks to the other side. They only take you to the center island for the trains. You will need to walk across the bridge.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That'll be hard to do. You will have to really keep an eye on that tracker listed above.

Also, with that tracker, [MENTION=3831]Shadow99[/MENTION], you might just want to stay in Elmhurst. Following the orange lines on the tracker, that looks like it's route. If it's in Wussyconsin right now (Adams), the only way it can come based on that tracker is down UP tracks, right down to the Proviso yards, then hit the UP West line, go through Elmhurst on it's way to West Chicago.

With that in mind, if they have it facing east like the Challenger I posted above when it's on display, it will have to go west through West Chicago and use the UP/CN roundabout tracks, go a little north on the CN line, then back (reverse) down the CN line, through the roundabouts again, and then come back east in to the lot where it will be shown. So... If you go down to the "diamond" on Washington St. (where the UP and CN lines cross), even though Washington Street is closed there for reconstruction, you will get to see a lot of it's movement.

So for that, if you google map Washington St. and Wood St. You can watch in the Gloria's Jewelry parking lot, or go down Wood St. and park in the Edgerton and Edgerton law offices parking lot. As I said before, Washington St. is closed right now AT the tracks, but many of the train spotters will sit/stand in the grass just west of the tracks/diamond and film with their cameras/drones, etc... This is where it will be turning around if they need to do that.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Not as cool as this though :rofl:

0e985bf9b32aa8eda57d02502ff5fd3c.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Kind of weird that is has that diesel electric UP motor with it. There’s no way they’re linked up so it has to be two crews communicating by radio as far as how much power to give. Another thing I didn’t think of is that rear modern UP motor is probably running the air brakes on those cars in the middle.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Kind of weird that is has that diesel electric UP motor with it. There’s no way they’re linked up so it has to be two crews communicating by radio as far as how much power to give. Another thing I didn’t think of is that rear modern UP motor is probably running the air brakes on those cars in the middle.

That’s what I’ve read. Braking, and for insurance if 4014 breaks down. Also, all the modern communication and GPS systems.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ill keep an eye on the tracker even though I dont really understand what the fuck its saying, unless it moves with the train. Other wise Ill just start camping out like at 1pm or so in elmhurst and wait for it. Per if arriving on time at 230 in west chicago

It is slow, but that may just be the browser here at work.

The orange line is the path it will come down. The Red is UP lines and lines UP has trackage rights on.

Yesterday it was in Adams, Wi. Now it says it's on the move near South Randolph, WI. So it's making it's way south east towards Milwaukee.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info