3800 First Kill!

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Well i didn't mean to start friken WW3 over this. I mir read your first post, cause i thought from they way you put it that you totally murdered the lightning. I didn't see that you only beat him by half a car. That's more belivable to me. My fault man, but i was just sticking up for lightning cause i'm tellin you, no one really knows how damn fast these trucks really are. And don't forget he's also got close to 2000 pounds on your car. But anyways congrats on the win, and sorry if i caused any pissing off to some people, i really didn't mean it. I was just sticking up for my fav. truck. I mean yes, anything can happen out on the street, i was ahead of a 95 firehawk from 0-80mph in my GTP when i know that car could really kill me, but anything is possible. so sorry again for my reactions on this, and i hope i didn't get ya to mad.

Jim

Hey no problem like I said before. I really do like the lightnings, I have liked them for a long time, and always respected them because they are fast. That is why I posted it, it is a creditable win in my book.

You know in the 4 years I had my grand prix I never got a chance to race a lightning on the street, and within a few days of getting the GTO I got a chance, and was a little bit worried about it because I know what they can run. Further more they are automatics so they are tough to beat. I like their interiors also. I'm not mad at you, I actually thought at first you were calling BS on that 12 bolt thing :lol: , that is why I was confused... I still dont know what the 12 bolt or IRS means.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
I have no hard feelings either, I was just disagreeing and stating why I did.
I'm not sure if your comment about the ww3 included me, I'm saying i'm not pissy about anything. Lightnings are fast trucks even though I like niether trucks nor ford. ITs something that you jsut cant deny. I guess if I had to own a truck that would be it.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by blitzu@Feb 5 2004, 09:34 PM
I'm not mad at you, I actually thought at first you were calling BS on that 12 bolt thing :lol: , that is why I was confused... I still dont know what the 12 bolt or IRS means.

Can anyone enlighten me?
the stock differential on F-Bodys were 7.5" 10 bolts... very weak differentials...

12 bolt is a bolt in replacement that's basically the same as a 10 bolt but the parts are magnified... bigger parts = less chance to break

it's a bigger differential that's all

IRS = Independant Rear Suspension... each axle responds to the road independently.. for road racing or handling it's the ideal way to go.. but for high horsepower straight line performance it's the weak link

Live Axle means a solid axle... stronger because it's stiffer.. not designed to move as much (hit a big bump w/a live axle on the right side and the energy from the bump will transfer over to the left side.. whereas with IRS most of the energy is absorbed on the right side)

So basically... IRS = better handling, Live Axle = Stronger, 10 bolt = WEEEEEAAAAAK! , 12 bolt = nice diff for medium (~600rwhp max) cars, absorbs less power but is strong, 9" = Ford 9" diff (10 bolt = 7.5" pumpkin, ford = 9", not sure on 12 bolt... )... the Ford 9" is the ultimate way to go.. very strong but absorbs alot of power... but it's nice because gear swaps are VERY easy in it....

Wow thanks :)

I thought IRS meant independant rear suspension... but I really didn't know how it effected the car as a bad thing, but what you said makes sense. I don't think Imgonna get that involved with this car. I'm planning on keeping it simple, yet strong. Know what I mean??

Also not to beat a dead horse but I was just looking at a SVT forum to try and see if the guy I raced posted anything, but I found this thread that one Lightning owner posted....

"The ls1 will usually catch and pass a stock lightning at higher speeds. I raced my friends 00 SS Camaro a few times in my 03 L and always had him outta the hole but once we got closer to 100 he would pass me. The guy probably did have the drop shackles, I have them on mine too. I think without them the truck just doesn't look sporty enough."

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Well the only main reason is that i didn't belive it is because i got a lightning, and i know how that truck is in and out. I raced my buddy and he's got a Stock 02 Z28. And we were exactly even, so that's why i said i really didn't belive it. but anyways, sorry again man about all the shit i caused, really didn't mean to be a complete dick. Maybe we can meet up sometime and you'll get a second shot at a Lightning

Jim.

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Originally posted by blitzu@Feb 4 2004, 01:04 AM
I also just found out that I am not insane also!!... I say that because I felt before the volume of the car increase when I raced that lightning, well it turns out it does increase automaticly when you accelerate, they call it SDV (speed dependent volume) which it is suppose to adjust automatically to make up for road or wind noise. I only noticed it when I accelerated hard because the volume changed so drastically :)
I love that, we have that in our GA's, its called SCV - Speed Control Volume in our cars. Steve hates it when I have it on, cause when I slow down after being on the highway the radio volume goes way down.

Good kill by the way!

Denise :)

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
I never knew about it before I bought it either, no one had ever mentioned the radio having it. Our radios are good for stock though, we also have traf and info which shows the traffic and weather and names of songs and artists on select radio stations, thats a cool feature for when you don't know who sings a song!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info