Feeling lazy, shop time question

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Reaction score
I know of course the hourly rate is different here in KY compared to the Chicago area so I'm not looking for pricing, but was hoping to get help with a rough estimate on book time.

I don't have a garage yet otherwise I would do it myself but need to have new torsion keys and an idler arm installed in my 99 Silverado 2500. The new torsion keys are a level lift if that makes any difference, and the truck is a 4wd.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Y'all!

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Man you should be able to do that in your driveway in a few hours.

I would guess at a shop. $500 max with a alignment.

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Reaction score
There is a shop down the road that charges $45 an hour on labor.,so I don't expect it to be that pricey. Just wanted an idea on the book time involved. I'm figuring 3-4 hours. Would that be about right?

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Figure an hour for the idler arm, two for the keys.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
cuntfullofskittles is right on the time.... but some quick advice.
if the idler is gone then the pitman isnt far behind, that is the PITA to change but i should at least mention it.

another thing is that people rarely measure and install the idler in the correct spot, it should be installed to make sure its pin joint is parallel with the pitman arm pin joint.

if they do not end up parallel. be ready to change the idler arm and pitmanl next as they will both wear out real fast.

its not hard to get the idler tight enough that it cant move but you can still tap it around with a hammer while you move the wheels lock to lock to measure the pin joint to frame rail height at both ends till you get a nice clean, non binding arc...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom