Fall/Winter Build 2018/19 (Whoosh Noises incoming)

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Wow that is a clean build in your pic! And yes it took a good amount of work to retain AC, but since we use it to cruise to car shows and I do like to drive it around it was a must. For me if it’s a street car, then you should be able to comfortably drive it around like you would stockish. So having AC was non-negotiable.

There is def a lot more that goes into a build than people think. It’s all the little stuff that really can make or break it. It’s not as simple as bolt this on and go. They were constantly communicating with me on the build and what fabrication they had to do..... what new part they had to order..... move an exhaust pipe around this etc.

Even as late as last night they were adjusting fan clearance because the brand new fans we needed were slightly touching their shrouds. Its all in the details, all that crap no one will ever see that makes a build a good build.

Yeah that was the 3rd iteration of the turbo set up on that car. Still the 76mm, but built to be able to change to a larger turbo easily (which was done shortly after).

I wanted to keep AC on my build, but in order to do so I will need to build custom manifolds similar to your setup. Time and (mostly) budget wont allow for that right now, so away it went. I will probably work it back in at some point down the road.

People really don't get how involved custom work is. Everything dictates everything else, and it is all constantly shifting. When we were building the TA we eventually got to a point where instead of trying to get anything bolt on it was more like "this is the part, it will go here, we will make that happen" Sometimes that wasn't a big deal, sometimes it was a ton of work on everything else to make it happen.

Whoever is doing the work clearly knows what they are doing, and you seem like a great customer to have since you seem to understand how complicated it all is. Good luck with the rest of the build, cant wait to see it all come together.

Sean

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I’m bad about updating. Car has been at the shop still. They finished the entire main part of the build and the car runs and drives.

It hit the dyno a few weeks back. Found out I needed a better map sensor so that got ordered. Also found the manufacturer of the wastegate shipped it without its gasket installed? We have no idea why, so that was corrected. Also doing random things, reclocking the turbo, redoing the oil drain line for better flow etc.

The car with a major boost leak due to the gasket and zero tuning tweeks did over 450 hp to the tire at 2 psi. Again with a large boost leak.

The car hits the dyno again this Saturday with all issues addressed. Full expectation from everyone is that this will top 600hp on the fuel system the car has now at only 6-7 pounds of boost.

Here is a pic of the car on the dyno a few weeks back. If time allows I may throw it under the knife again this season for a new trans and fuel to hopefully get me close to 1000 hp this year. But I don’t really want the car down most of the season again so I may wait till next year

IMG_1865.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also one of the injectors was believed to be sticking a bit. This was confirmed when they pulled them off and cleaned them. They are now cleaned and flow matched.

It’s really nice for once not to have to do a speedy build or anything. This is the kind of small stuff you look over when builds are done in a few weeks instead of months.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Update. Car hit the dyno today. Everything is great until 4800 rpm and it just shuts off. No idea why. It pulls like hell and then it’s nothing. Currently looking into that. Car is getting a scavenger pump put on as well for the oil for the turbo. People say you don’t need it, but it just simply doesn’t return fast enough.

This may be just a computer issue? Everything is put together correctly so this shutting off thing is kind of puzzling. It’s like a freight train and then poof nothing.

Cars suck. That is all. More to come

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
New update from last night. Slight miscommunication regarding the "shutting off" issue. My assumption was the car was just turning off at 5k rpm. Well we had a meeting with the tuner myself and the shop owner and the car was simply out of fuel at 4800 RPM and was pulling back. Injectors were at 105% at 4800 RPM.....Not good.

Now all of this is on the lowest boost possible. Never even made it to wide open throttle, it was done at 40% throttle. So.............

Injectors have been ordered. They will be large enough to allow me to grow for the future with E85. Currently I am on 93, but next season or this coming winter I want to switch to a dual 450 pump setup and run E85.

The fuel issues should now be corrected for the time being and it should have no problem pulling all the way to redline. The scavenger pump for the turbo is also going on this week while we await the injectors to arrive. After that back on the dyno to confirm all is well and fingers crossed I should be able to take it home.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Just saw JJ’s arm drop is coming to 41 end of July. After talking to some people having the car around 1000 hp by then should make it a semi contender if I can get some seat time in. Since it’s a no prep run the track backwards event. All the 2k hp cars are going to have to turn way down or risk blowing the tires off.

My goal is to try to get the car around that power level for the event. Will I win? Probably not, but it would be really cool to participate in. And unless I’m around 1k power I’m not going to waste those peoples time.

Edit: small tire class

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So now you want 1000hp by July?

If it’s possible I’d like to shoot for it. Wasn’t planning on pushing it that soon, but really did want to run in this event, and I don’t think 6-700 hp is going to cut it. Not in a full weight car.

If it doesn’t happen by then oh well. But I’m willing to try. Going to get the car back on low boost and break everything in the proper way, then talk with the shop on next steps.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
from what ive seen guys cant put hardly anything down for power running that track backwards, also looks like KOTS is coming back to 41 this fall with multiple street classes

That’s why I think I could be a decent contender if I can practice on that surface. I would be down on power to a lot of those guys, but it’s not like it’s a full prepped event.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Well sad update as of last evening. Car threw a rod. Initial best guesses were one of my old injectors was sticking open quite a bit as there was a good amount of fuel in the oil last oil change they did. Appears to be stress fractures in the rod itself, but we don’t know really for sure. The car didn’t even make it to the dyno the second time. It fired up and instantly spit a rod.

Currently going over my options. Initially looks like it will get a built boosted iron block from Thompson motorsports, but we are looking into many options.

Wish it was an April fools joke yesterday but sadly was not. Hoping for better luck soon.

IMG_2272.jpg

Thread Info