Fall/Winter Build 2018/19 (Whoosh Noises incoming)

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Pipes are ready to be sent for coating. Turn around will be Tuesday then they will be installed on the car

IMG_1407.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So had a minor set back with the rear end in the car. I had the gear changed at a local speed shop. One that I believe is still a sponsor on this forum. Well they totally botched the install and I ruined a gear set in 500 miles because they couldn’t set pinion depth correctly.

So the car will now get the rear end rebuilt. Detroit locker, new gear set, and will be changing the gear ratio since I am going turbo. Dropping to a 3.42 on a 28 tall tire.

Also this “shop” left my torque arm bolts only finger tight and rounded off most of them.

I’m pretty upset right now. I don’t really want to blast a forum sponsor but it was very unsafe and could have cost me my car if they let loose.

Either way it will be done correctly now and will never see there shop again.

/rant

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Does it rhyme with Peed Pink?

It may.

Again not using this thread to start some drama. That’s why I didn’t blatantly name the shop. Just venting my frustration as it cost me considerable money to fix this.

I was considering changing the gear ratio anyway due to the turbo and new found power.... but it now cost me a carrier as well along with other misc items associated.

This shop found quite a few other issues they overlooked or may have caused.

Water under the bridge. I was burned. I have found a new home for the car to get worked on.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Haven’t updated in a while. Car is nearly done. It’s on the ground and moves under its own power. Had the shop install 3 gauges as well while it was there so I could monitor things. Went with boost, wideband, and trans temp.

Over this past week they have been fixing little fitment issues here and there and running the car through heat cycles.

If the rain holds off tomorrow we are going to try to get some tuning done and do some street test hits. The car will be pretty much street tuned from pass to pass from here on out as a dyno tune really isn’t suitable for what my goals are.

We are estimating on 6 psi it will be making about 600 wheel hp and that’s where we are stopping for the winter. That’s literally spring pressure and we are not even touching the boost controller until the new trans goes in.

The shop the car is at now has beyond impressed me. They are even going to have the car detailed next week at their expense before they give it back to me. The customer service has been top notch and the best ive ever had. Ive literally been updated at each step with photos to back it up. I am beyond pleased.

I am hoping to try to work out a sponsorship from this shop and race at LS fest and local no prep events under their shop name in return for reduced prices or free things.

IMG_1590.jpg

Wiring work on the gauges. Super clean

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
This is a great looking build! It really is a pain in the ass to retain the AC and everything in these cars. They did a great job on the fab work for sure. I have lots of memories of building a turbo TA :)

i-g5LBR6L-X3.jpg

Sean

Wow that is a clean build in your pic! And yes it took a good amount of work to retain AC, but since we use it to cruise to car shows and I do like to drive it around it was a must. For me if it’s a street car, then you should be able to comfortably drive it around like you would stockish. So having AC was non-negotiable.

There is def a lot more that goes into a build than people think. It’s all the little stuff that really can make or break it. It’s not as simple as bolt this on and go. They were constantly communicating with me on the build and what fabrication they had to do..... what new part they had to order..... move an exhaust pipe around this etc.

Even as late as last night they were adjusting fan clearance because the brand new fans we needed were slightly touching their shrouds. Its all in the details, all that crap no one will ever see that makes a build a good build.

Thread Info