everyones leaving IL

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
wifey, bein' from the south, wants to head back south. and i've been toying with the idea and trying to figure out how to make it make sense

you guys have two incomes, and no kids (yet?), a lot easier to make that work. Especially if you have some equity in property to sell and buy down yonder

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
"downtown" richmond, kentucky on over a half acre, for $1700 a month with 20% down.

because $2500 a year in taxes...

https://www.redfin.com/KY/Richmond/400-Breck-Ave-40475/home/97290763

genMid.1622479_0.jpg

genMid.1622479_8_0.jpg

1622479_21_0.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Wait... what?

So if you work at sayyyy Discount tire in Chicago and move to a Discount tire in Tennessee, you're going to get paid less, just because it's TN? That's not true at all. We lost a good engineer to the same lab I'm applying to, he didn't get more money, he got the same, however the cost of living there is ~20% less, thus giving him 20% more of his money back to himself.

yep.

I have a buddy who works for one of the big 4 accounting firms. He's being forced to take short term job in tampa basically, with the promise of being able to move back here. Getting a salary decrease due to the market down there.

Not always going to be the case and i'd bet you have a lot easier staying atthe same wage by transferring within your company. Switching employers though, no way.

we had a health physics guy come up here from ORNL for two years because of the higher wages, moved back and took the lower pay back at ORNL. Something like a very specific engineering discipline will likely translate the same though.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
if you bought right and played a few right cards, 70k down really isn't too nuts to come by i feel.

If you could sell a house you already had some equity in sure but to cough up 70k down from savings or own funds i think would be a hell of alot harder.

unless you want to get crazy with financing like double mortage or loan for down payment. :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Wait... what?

So if you work at sayyyy Discount tire in Chicago and move to a Discount tire in Tennessee, you're going to get paid less, just because it's TN? That's not true at all. We lost a good engineer to the same lab I'm applying to, he didn't get more money, he got the same, however the cost of living there is ~20% less, thus giving him 20% more of his money back to himself.

Also, living in IL in general, you're paying close to LA premiums to live here. HERE? Cold ass shitty salt infested winters that ruin everything. Right down the street from a city full of murders, poverty and corruption. I'll probably be stuck here until I get my lazy ass up and get a GD degree.
I don't believe you pay income tax in TN either.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The tax table below will show in detail the Tennessee state income tax rates by income tax bracket(s). There are 1 income tax brackets for Tennessee.

If your income range is $0 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6%.

The tax table below will show in detail the Kentucky state income tax rates by income tax bracket(s). There are 6 income tax brackets for Kentucky.

If your income range is between $0 and $3,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 2%.
If your income range is between $3,001 and $4,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 3%.
If your income range is between $4,001 and $5,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 4%.
If your income range is between $5,001 and $8,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5%.
If your income range is between $8,001 and $75,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5.8%.
If your income range is $75,001 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6%.

Income tax brackets data last updated March 3rd, 2009.

just snagged that off the goooogle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info