everyones leaving IL

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What does home insurance cost on something 200k or so down there with hurricane risks etc

Homeowner's is about half price or less compared to Chicago suburbs. By me, it's usually around $1K per $100K sales price.

Flood insurance is dependent on how high a property is in relation to flood level. Above flood level, it's inexpensive, in the hundreds. Below flood level, it gets pricier as the level drops. What you do is get the property mapped for an elevation certificate for $300 or so and then give it to insurance companies to get quotes.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
There can be a big difference in prices between insurance companies. There are a lot of factors that apply to their calculations so I always suggest customers get the needed certificate and then shop around.

If you are not in a flood zone that requires flood insurance for a mortgage, it's up to you whether you get it or not. Down here, it's usually "V" or "A" zones that require coverage. "V" is a Velocity zone that means right on the water with a bigger chance of flooding while "A" is a zone that can see flooding once in a 100 year cycle. For comparison, "X" zones are most properties and they generally require no flood insurance unless you want it or unless the local government, condo association or HOA requires it.

Zoning laws have gotten tighter as time progressed so newer homes are usually built higher than older homes. Beware buying a 1950s-1960s home in a flood zone without researching it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Moving from Illinois was the best thing I ever did. I miss my family and friends a lot but after spending a few days in Chicago in the winter I'm dying to get back to LA after a few days. We came in on the 7th and stayed for 7 days. I don't think we saw the sun one day. That wears on you. 4:30 rolls around, it's 12 degrees outside and pitch black and it feels like the day is over.

And you don't even need to go to California. Texas is cheap and Goodyear, AZ (Phoenix) where my in laws live is comically cheap. We walked through a model home the other day and the girl told us the top of the line house with 6 bedrooms topped out at $300,000. $300,000... and that's not with contractor's grade finishes.

The nice 3 bedroom/ 2 bath houses are going for $245,000. And property taxes are cheap too. Plus they're backed up to the desert where they can't build and it is beautiful. They abut a mountain range with limitless hiking opportunities.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
A $250k house is cheap? Fawk.

We just bought in Wheaton in April for $258k, 3 bedroom 1.5 bath on a quarter acre in a cult-a-sac subdivision with no association and no immediate rear neighbors.

That all being said; 'on paper' we purchased a 1200sqft (1750sqft split-level) house on a quarter acre in an exceptionally low crime area with good schools in IL for ~250k.

In TN we could have bought a 2500sqft+ house on 4 acres for ~250k and probably 1/2 the taxes. That kind of property in my area is a million dollar lot......

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
We just bought in Wheaton in April for $258k, 3 bedroom 1.5 bath on a quarter acre in a cult-a-sac subdivision with no association and no immediate rear neighbors.

That all being said; 'on paper' we purchased a 1200sqft (1750sqft split-level) house on a quarter acre in an exceptionally low crime area with good schools in IL for ~250k.

In TN we could have bought a 2500sqft+ house on 4 acres for ~250k and probably 1/2 the taxes. That kind of property in my area is a million dollar lot......
That's crazy. I thought we were in a relatively expensive area :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Wait... what?

So if you work at sayyyy Discount tire in Chicago and move to a Discount tire in Tennessee, you're going to get paid less, just because it's TN? That's not true at all. We lost a good engineer to the same lab I'm applying to, he didn't get more money, he got the same, however the cost of living there is ~20% less, thus giving him 20% more of his money back to himself.

Also, living in IL in general, you're paying close to LA premiums to live here. HERE? Cold ass shitty salt infested winters that ruin everything. Right down the street from a city full of murders, poverty and corruption. I'll probably be stuck here until I get my lazy ass up and get a GD degree.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
people talking about cheap houses...
cheap living expenses generally equals lower wages and thus is close to a balance from what you're leaving. You're buying a TN house on TN wages, not a TN house on Chicago wages.

This, I've never understood completely moving to a lower wage area... Everything online is same price where ever you go. Lol

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
That's not entirely true.

generally.

unless you are living in a MAJOR metropolitan area, wages are going to be lower. it's simple economics.

If you have a job that you're able to work 90% remotely, you can probably get away with being a couple hours away from the office.

I can tell you being in the trades, if i moved down to florida anywhere outside miami or orlando, i'd make half what i do up here.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've been trying to convince all my friends to come down to Louisville with me. Didn't see anything getting better up there. What's gonna happen is taxes are gonna continue to go up to cover for the people leaving and housing prices are gonna drop because there isn't the demand. Good luck to those who are stuck there for various reasons. I hope things work out for you.

wait, you're in louisville?

do you like beer and fun activities?!

Nothing truly keeping me here except my wife and I's jobs. We are most definitely going to retire somewhere else, hopefully out northwest, far away from people

know that feel.

And you don't even need to go to California. Texas is cheap and Goodyear, AZ (Phoenix) where my in laws live is comically cheap. We walked through a model home the other day and the girl told us the top of the line house with 6 bedrooms topped out at $300,000. $300,000... and that's not with contractor's grade finishes.

The nice 3 bedroom/ 2 bath houses are going for $245,000. And property taxes are cheap too. Plus they're backed up to the desert where they can't build and it is beautiful. They abut a mountain range with limitless hiking opportunities.

PREACH. i was just scannin' houses in kentucky area over the weekend. INSANE what $350k gets you. and yeah $350k is much more feasible there because property taxes are penny's compared to IL.

NEWER $350k house for a $1650 per month payment with 4k square feet on an acre +

YEP.

:werd: TN/KY is nuts.

I'm applying and hopefully getting a job in Tennessee around April. :x:

wherebouts

people talking about cheap houses...
cheap living expenses generally equals lower wages and thus is close to a balance from what you're leaving. You're buying a TN house on TN wages, not a TN house on Chicago wages.

agreed. i couldn't make, doing what i do, in KY/TN.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We're about to peace out of IL too (again) and head south. Spent a good amount of my holiday vacation finishing up house projects to get it ready to sell.

where to?

generally.

unless you are living in a MAJOR metropolitan area, wages are going to be lower. it's simple economics.

If you have a job that you're able to work 90% remotely, you can probably get away with being a couple hours away from the office.

I can tell you being in the trades, if i moved down to florida anywhere outside miami or orlando, i'd make half what i do up here.

:werd:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info