May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
104713d1279208002-how-much-orange-peel-img_1601.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
with the right setup- waterborne can be beneficial to a shop quite a bit.. but you just have to have insane drying power (airflow).

In the proper environment waterborn shouldn't leave any more or less peel.

the problem here lies in the fact that the majority of the people purchasing new vehicles, don't give a shit about it or know what it is (orange peel) and time can be saved just throwing paint on fast at the expense of the customers who "care"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am not sure how you came to that question, I think people are amazed at the craft of detailing at this level. If it were easy, then everybody would be doing it.

It is not hard. It is a pretty simple process. But experience goes a long way. Because you can burn through the clear and color if you are not careful. I think that is what scares most people away from doing this.

I worked at a shop that did a lot of World of Wheels, Detriot Autorama and other high end shows. I did A LOT of wet sanding there. Early on I had a couple spots I burned through paint. We are talking lots of clear coats because we knew we wanted to sand the orange peel out. But I learned quickly and was more careful. Way easier to take paint off slowly than it is to add the paint back on. haha

The guys that restore paint on old cars are what are real impressive. You are talking usually very thin paint they are working with. Measuring the paint thickness all over the place and after every process to make sure it isn't getting too thin. Experience and skill pay off big time for those guys.

boats are way easier to do than cars if maybe that's what he was implying?

I would imagine the gel coat on a boat is much thicker and durable than clear on a new car.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
The pain't on my 1500 is almost flawless.

And if I'm not mistaken, most OE's are now using water borne. And water borne is a bitch.

My 14 gmc 1500 has orange peel. It had a ton of of rail dust. That sucked clay baring it off.

I shot a cell phone video of the rail dust. You can see it a 7 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3BKRiN5RH0

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I'm surprised how there are that have never heard of this.. lol. Wet sanding a car is nothing crazy. Its the only way to get all the orange peel out of a paint job.

I don't think any one in this thread has said anything about not knowing or understanding wet sanding. I think it was more the outcome/quality of that work, and just knowing how long and expensive that was.

I'm not even sure I know how much that would cost for the entire job (with the full detail) but I would imagine more than a grand.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Water borne paint has nothing to do with orange peel lol.
1. Its how the clear is applied and how many coats that determines the peel. Because all car manufactures cut corners they apply just enough clear coat to make the car shine and push it out the door with no fucks given.

2. If you look through the clear and focus on the base coat you may or may not see that the base has the texture of sand. That could be because it was sprayed to dry or the sealer under the base is fucked and your not going to wet sand that out. sorry

3. Next time you see a newer silver domestic car out in the sun stand back and look at the entire side. You will see light and dark spots all over also probably stripes in the hood. This is again a base coat problem under the clear and that is the manufacture cutting corners again by not applying enough coats of base and you can see the sealer thought the base and clear. I say to look at silver Chevy Silverado or Traverse because it will be most noticeable. I can see the gray sealer the GM used through the white on my Grand Prix, drives me nuts.

I kept reading a lot of wrong info in this thread. Wet sanding clear only gets rid of the orange peel in the clear and the base has nothing to do with the texture of the clear. Its just the nature of the clear to want to flow out a little bit, therefore you can pound clear on horizontal panels like hood with out it running vs spraying a vertical panel

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Most body shops don't even wetsand anymore. They use compound to flatten the clear.

I use a dual action sander now to wetsand. It's much more even and uses zero water.

Yeah plus there are special pads now too you can get from like 3m that simulate 3000 grit sandpaper but in cloth type for right? Like microfiber pads or something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info