🔧 BUILD Emerson Builds an Army Utility Trailer into Camping Overland Off Grid Luxury Suite

General Information

1688756916592.png

:jg: Well actually it didn't just appear there... I had to drive all day and get it:

HOCXBl0.jpg

I guess Yaj Yak and I were having the same sort of idea at the same time and he beat me to the punch and we both took different routes...:werd: Thanks to ilikemtb999 for the knowledge assist.:fy:

It is an M116A3 with an A101A2 bed on it for those that know their lingo.

kmDUQGw.jpg

4d1m1Qj.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Hahaha are you off Southwest highway? I swear I saw this thing just sitting in a driveway thinking WTF..

83 actually. And if so then yes you did.

:nutz: that's pretty awesome. i'm in for adventure pix too

hi5

im like 70% wanting to do a cap, i've got a pretty sweet leer commercial one priced out currently, that would be super awesome for day-to-day as well.

i like the racks like that too, but want dry, lockable, weather proof storage for the bed.

30% sure i might do something like this, instead of the cap, would defintiely be a cheaper option.

holds 1250 lbs, bed is still locakable, rack is adjustable to the front of the cab when not in use/tall loads... etc.

TracRac G2 Truck Racks

g2-8.jpg

tracrac_full_spread_with_retrax_one.jpg

https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.co...L2IKJ4WCQQiQOccu-FT3iHou3Yxedwihy6BoClx7w_wcB

im not even sure wind resistance will matter for how stupid big this is of a truck. i think it might be like your old burban, where it just gets what it gets always no matter what :rofl:

yeah aero isn't as big of deal but wind noise can get tiresome so it is something to think about.

I think dry lockable storage is always important but security when camping isn't a huge deal. I haven't heard of too many people having issues.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
i mean you could be running SUPER rich then too because of that leak

Oh yea, we don't drive it much in the summer so it wasn't a big deal. Then all of a sudden this trailer popped up and CL means get it now... 8 hours of driving to and from Carbondale area.

I did find out the truck doesn't like running 75 on the speedo with the cruise locked in for 2 hours. So I was actually doing like 80? and I got an A/T temp light. Had to make a pit stop. So a bigger trans cooler is in future.

EDIT: That was on they way there. I didn't crack 65 on the way home and I actually left it at 70 for the last 2 hours on the way out.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah aero isn't as big of deal but wind noise can get tiresome so it is something to think about.

I think dry lockable storage is always important but security when camping isn't a huge deal. I haven't heard of too many people having issues.

maybe a small wind deflector would fix that... hmmm

this bro has way too much weight on his roof i feel like... thing could flip over in a good breeze :rofl:

8ate2a3y.jpg

im thinkin' of security too, when the truck is just being a truck. i dont want to lose somethin'

ugh i dont know.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I can't wait to see yours and KJ's builds... This is something I reallllllly want to do, but, it has to wait until I'm done with home improvements in Hayward. I want to build something like this but with a 4x7 platform for my ATV to sit, go out west, park in desert and have living quarters while quadding.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
maybe a small wind deflector would fix that... hmmm

this bro has way too much weight on his roof i feel like... thing could flip over in a good breeze :rofl:

8ate2a3y.jpg

im thinkin' of security too, when the truck is just being a truck. i dont want to lose somethin'

ugh i dont know.

That exo cage, do it

Wind deflector is probably a good idea.

I can't wait to see yours and KJ's builds... This is something I reallllllly want to do, but, it has to wait until I'm done with home improvements in Hayward. I want to build something like this but with a 4x7 platform for my ATV to sit, go out west, park in desert and have living quarters while quadding.

Grown up adventures incoming!

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Oh yes, I am sure you could piece that together easily on your adventures.

I think it could be done on the cheap, this is one of the "legit" ones but IDK what they cost, nor do I want to know :rofl:

pop-up-tent-trailer-toy-hauler.jpg

It's apples to oranges though, your guy's stuff is more of a full on bugout setup, I just want to start ATVing in different territories.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]

These are on my list after some trimming:

Smittybilt - XL Tent
Adventure sole - Bravo RT: G-Series
Adventure sole - Echo RT: G-Series
CVT Mt. Rainier Standard
Gordi Gear- HEI Outdoors - Explorer Plus Wide
Tepui - Gran Sabana "Great Savanna"
23Zero - Byron RTT

What does yours look like? I want to make sure I didn't miss one I should have on there. The Gordi Gear says no annex so that one would be out if so.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I haven't looked at any of them yet, just went purely off the Excel list based on extended size. I need mattress size to really know though. I had to ask Smitty for it for the XL. And I want to see the annex too.

1a530280731982761dbfe876b1c72ab4-180x180.jpg

I really like when the annex covers the ladder

AdventureSole6.22-8-echo-600x532.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The wifeys like their covered changing space. :nutz:

That is the ECHO RT which includes annex

And don't forget shipping, maybe we can get a deal if we buy 2?

im thinking we might, maybe we PM the people on expedition portal- the tepui guy and the cvt guy and see what they would do for us potentially.

i also plan on having mine shipped to my work, which is a business with a forklift, if that makes it easier... and makes sense for you.

like covers the ladder all the way down to the ground?

:werd: covered is good.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
im thinking we might, maybe we PM the people on expedition portal- the tepui guy and the cvt guy and see what they would do for us potentially.

i also plan on having mine shipped to my work, which is a business with a forklift, if that makes it easier... and makes sense for you.

:werd: covered is good.

Works for me. I know the truck shipment wouldn't be anymore money for two tents. You aren't paying for weight when it is 150 lbs a tent. The skid takes up too much room.

but in there you can change, hide yo shoes etc.

So many benefits... Doubles as a place for friends to come visit and if weather sucks its good for that.

Thread Info