🔧 BUILD EL MALO Has Arrived

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
And hood is on! If we get some rain to wash the salt off the roads I’ll be able to self-quarantine myself driving around lol.

C5FE2F9D-F493-4AB7-B1DF-C3709D3560B3.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Put about 200 miles on so far just working the bugs out. Some wiring odds and ends (pass. headlight wasn't getting power, dome light stayed on permanently), a few minor coolant leaks, etc. Nothing too major.

I'm still fighting the Q-Jet from a tuning standpoint. Cruise/part throttle is OK, but there's a huge dead spot/lag in WOT. Carbs are the bane of my existence so if I can't get it sorted I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sniper system for it now that they're making a Quadrajet look-alike.

550-869_hero18254.jpg

A66A22A9-27B0-47F5-AA96-2EE546CE30FF.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Frank get the sniper and bring it over to Larry at ASSC

I was going to bring it to Dr. Foxbodyplowtruckrangertransmissions for install lol. As far as tuning goes ASSC is on my radar.

You ever read the Cliff Ruggles book? If it's bogging there's a good chance the air door is opening too suddenly and you need more tension on it. I presume you have one or both pull offs still on the carb right?

Just send it out and have it worked on IMO.

I have done some light reading on it, never seen the Cliff Ruggles books though. I've heard a lot of it can be timing related as well. Truth be told I just haven't had a ton of time to fuck with it, and the way the car is stored in my garage I can't work on it on rainy days because my 7.3 is next to it and it doesn't see rain either because I'm weird and neurotic.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Do you have the original dizzy? If so check to see if the weights are moving freely. At WOT vacuum advance should have no impact. If you have a set of aftermarket weights (see below) they seem to be pretty damn lazy on the timing coming in. Otherwise there's not much to go wrong. Usually the springs would lose tension and make timing come in too quick. The air door is probably the big thing it can cause the fuel to go rich and kind of waver.

The other thing is the accelerator pump. If it hasn't been replaced E10 could have ravished it.

550929_L_92497cbd-c57c-4c9b-a083-a96d47c26a3a.jpg

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Do you have the original dizzy? If so check to see if the weights are moving freely. At WOT vacuum advance should have no impact. If you have a set of aftermarket weights (see below) they seem to be pretty damn lazy on the timing coming in. Otherwise there's not much to go wrong. Usually the springs would lose tension and make timing come in too quick. The air door is probably the big thing it can cause the fuel to go rich and kind of waver.

The other thing is the accelerator pump. If it hasn't been replaced E10 could have ravished it.

550929_L_92497cbd-c57c-4c9b-a083-a96d47c26a3a.jpg

It's a high-pro ignition, I don't remember which off the top of my head I'll have to dig through receipts.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I also went back through page 5 and updated with pictures. Everything else is there minus the photobucket watermark so at least there's no huge gaps in time with no pictures.

Also found a set of slotted mags for the front (just like the ones on the drag pack I have for the car that it showed with at MCACN. The black steelies on all four corners are kinda boring, figured those on the front would make it pop a bit. It'll look just like this picture with them on the front and the steelies on the back.

6-x27p8li-jpg.49191

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Roboto has some good tips, distributor weights are often overlooked. I would also be looking at the jet sizes on the secondary bowls, they may be a size too large and when hitting WOT they dump too much fuel in the mid to low rpm's. Lots of guys did this as the jets needed to be bigger for racing. Gave it a little extra power up top in the rpm's but street driving suffered.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Roboto has some good tips, distributor weights are often overlooked. I would also be looking at the jet sizes on the secondary bowls, they may be a size too large and when hitting WOT they dump too much fuel in the mid to low rpm's. Lots of guys did this as the jets needed to be bigger for racing. Gave it a little extra power up top in the rpm's but street driving suffered.

I didn't realize the secondaries on these had jets thought they were fixed and you let the metering rods do the work typically. I may be talking out my ass on that one though.

Thread Info