🔧 BUILD EL MALO Has Arrived

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So awesome Frank. Congrats on the award! That show just keeps getting better and better, I should've gone :fu:

I saw on Facebook that the original owner's son/grandson? was there. How cool was that? Did they just stumble upon it, or did they know you were going to be there?

No they knew, we invited them so the flew up from Georgia to see it. Pretty awesome experience for all parties involved.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well, this is LONG overdue, but I haven't had a ton of excitement until recent as far as any progress on the car. After dropping it off to have the floors fixed (hacked up for a Lenco trans back in the day from what I hear) and the quarter panels fixed (hacked up to put bigger rubber under it) it was discovered the frame was cracked. It was so hacked up from racing that it wasn't worth saving. I'm keeping it because it's original to the car, but it wont be what its rolling on.

Tracked one down in Colorado Springs and went to pick it up the day after Christmas.

As much of the original graphics and stickers are being saved as possible. There's been some rust underneath a few which have prompted their removal to stop corrosion. All in all, I'd say 80% of the graphics are still present, and all of the painted graphics are still 100%. Updates will be more frequent now that the car is home, so, I'll keep this thread going as interesting updates occur. Drive train acquisition should be soon, so, that will probably be the next bump. :)

Last edited:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah, it's been a long time coming. Admittedly I spent most of last summer up north, so it was kind of a backburner item. But it's slowly coming along. My dad has been cleaning the fenders, etc in the basement for something to do in the crap weather, and now that all the major components are in one place, the reassembly can start getting underway.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Just a quick first drivetrain update, nothing spectacular but I did promise the updates would be more frequent as the snowball effect started to shape up.

I've had a strange bout of motivation lately, so, my goal is to now get the car as a roller within a few months and ready to drop a powerplant in. Unfortunately I don't see it getting done this season, but, should be ready to hit the ground running next spring.

With that goal, I finally pulled the trigger on a rear end, springs, bags and adjustable control arms.

Chevy 12-bolt

-Full Spool
-4.10 gear with polished ring and pinion
-1350 Spicer Yolk
-Lightweight brakes with aluminum drums

I've decided I'm a bit more concerned with racing the car than street driving it. Instead of going 50:50 street/track practicality, it's probably going to be closer to 90:10.

Engine/Trans is in the works, I'll post more about that later when I have them in my possession.

Thread Info