• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Dual cold air intake idea

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
No. It just has a lot going on and in the end needs a bigger intercooler. Not using the A/C and it's fine. It can be 110 and I could use the A/C at highway speeds and be fine.

I just wanted to find out if ducing the fog lights would be effective. Apparently not unless this is highway speeds, even that sounds questionable.

So a bigger intercooler is gonna help your engine temp issue? When did intercoolers start cooling the engine coolant?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Holy shit I bet grand marquis have huge overheating problems because they don't even HAVE fog lights.

2003mercurymarquisa.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
PS your plan would divert a lot of air away from your radiator (low resistance to flow). It will harm your engine temps more than help. If anything, look into upgraded fans or modding your grill.

Prove it. The front end on a car is designed to do two functions: reduce drag and to force the air to go through the radiator/engine bay. Test it, your engine temps will go up if you duct your fog lights into the engine bay.

P.S. if your car is overheating in 90* weather, something is wrong with it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the OP is refering to removing the fogs and ducting air from there into the engine bay. not into the engine air tract as a "cold air intake" but im guessing he thinks aircooling a liquid cooled engine is a great idea

so instead of air going through the heatexchanger the air will find an easier path through the ducts and bypass the HE....which means the HE is no longer effective with reduced airflow

the factory often has shrouding and airdams to prevent air from bypassing the radiator for just this reason

to the OP, if your overheating in 90* air daves right, you have larger issues you need to look at, specifically look for debris/cottonwood fuzz between the radiator and condenser, and make sure the lower airdam and all air shields are still in place, often the flexible rubber sheeting or plastic will tear around the plastic pushclips that hold them in place.

you want to make sure that as much of the air entering the engine bay is through the radiator.

remove airflow through a water to air heat exchanger and you will lose efficiency and increase water temps

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
the OP is refering to removing the fogs and ducting air from there into the engine bay. not into the engine air tract as a "cold air intake" but im guessing he thinks aircooling a liquid cooled engine is a great idea

so instead of air going through the heatexchanger the air will find an easier path through the ducts and bypass the HE....which means the HE is no longer effective with reduced airflow

the factory often has shrouding and airdams to prevent air from bypassing the radiator for just this reason

to the OP, if your overheating in 90* air daves right, you have larger issues you need to look at, specifically look for debris/cottonwood fuzz between the radiator and condenser, and make sure the lower airdam and all air shields are still in place, often the flexible rubber sheeting or plastic will tear around the plastic pushclips that hold them in place.

you want to make sure that as much of the air entering the engine bay is through the radiator.

remove airflow through a water to air heat exchanger and you will lose efficiency and increase water temps

Thank you for properly communicating what i was trying to say

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
:jg:
This seems like a good idea to me, but before I go out and buy parts I want to know if this is worth my time and $20 or not.

I was thinking of removing the fog lights and putting heating ducts in their place running them into the engine bay. I have seen this done with 60s cars when they would take out the high beam headlights and run air induction into the air filter.

I have no intention in messing with the air filter or running it into the cars supercharger piping. I would like to just run air from the fog light area into the engine bay itself. The reasoning being this car overheats easily when it's above 90 and I want to use the A/C.... especially in the city.

I am personally fine with windows down and know the nature of the beast, but my passengers aren't always as accepting. Plus it would be nice to know I can keep the car cooler if this actually is effective. I am totally fine with losing the fog lights, they are useless anyway... stock ones at least.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Zack has the right idea for my original intention, but as I posted and someone highlighted I did not want to hook it up to the air filter, just running it into the engine bay.

Like I said, it's better that I ask and told I don't make since than to go waste my time and money if this would have been noneffective... as everyone has told me. Plus I was a little concerned about rain if I actually did this.

I will not be doing to so feel free to laugh.

I do not wrench or know 1/10th of the knowledge most share. So thank you again for the info.

Baaad Gn

Jun 19, 2012
Back in the 80's, I know before some of you were born guys were doing a lot of road racing and the guy's running turbo buicks were running a air duck tube from the front to the turbo, of course this only worked if car was moving and you had airflow. I have a Ken Bell front lower air dam and intake with air going to intake, intercooler and another 4' flex hose from front to turbo. Even back then there were heated discussions on how much it helped so only a few air damns were made and then you could buy a kit to add it if you wanted to, thats what I did. I'm not sure how much it helped and maybe it was one of those (I call) feally goodies.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
If there is a rubber trim piece between the hood and firewall, you might be able to cut or remove a section of that, in order to allow some heat to flow out while driving. However, you have to be driving over 40 mph in order for this to work and MAY only reduce engine bay temps a few degrees. I would follow Turbocharged400sbc's advice and check the actual radiator for dirt/dust and shit clogging it.

If that is clear, then go ahead and check the cooling system and swap out the thermostat for a lower temp. Typically, in the summer, I run a 160* stat, while in the winter, i run a 195* stat. They should be fairly easy to swap out (or at least on every car I've owned they were).

Last but least, check the wiring to the electric fan to make sure that's working. It should switch on and off even while parked to cool the motor. If it doesn't even go on, consider yourself lucky to have found it before something goes BOOM!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info