3800 Dont know what to do...

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I was refering to the goal of trying to go throug college, graduate in 4 years, get good grades and attain a good job.

That can be somewhat difficlut to do if you are spendin all your money on fixing broken down cars and working your but off to be able to drive and get to class.

Consolidate and simplify your life till you can afford both. Working for 7-9 bucks and hour while trying to maintain and race cars is not easy.

Concentrate on school first.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by syP@Dec 9 2005, 11:18 AM
find me a good one and i will think about it don :)

and i think you are referrring the the "60k" on the SHOs that cost $150
[snapback]106523[/snapback]​

You are so wrong....nothing except gas costs $150 or less on a SHO. Trust me. My 95MTX was a nice car till it hit 100K. Then it stranded me 3 times in 1 month. It's not an easy car to work on (like W bodies) so even routine maintenance like plugs and fuel pump cost an arm and a leg. AVOID THE SHO!!!!1111oneoneone

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by syP@Dec 9 2005, 11:18 AM
find me a good one and i will think about it don :)

and i think you are referrring the the "60k" on the SHOs that cost $150
[snapback]106523[/snapback]​

I think a 99-00' Lightning can be found for around $15K in good condition. I saw a couple of 1st Gen Lightnings with superchargers on them for $7-9K on the net as well. I 12-13 second truck would be nice moving to and from school!

As for the $150 price for the 60K SHO maintenance...I don't know what that price includes but the I know that the best shop in this area is the one in Madison...these guys bleed SHO's... and they're up to $675 for the full service.

http://www.performance-plus.com/sho/shoserv.htm

...and check out their national forum and search for these issues;

http://www.shoforum.com/

Aside from the heavier maintenance and the tranny issues...I loved my SHO. It road great, it handled great, it sounded great and it had even more luxury and comfort features than my Regal...but it's WAY slower than any L67 car!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by sr71_rgl+Dec 9 2005, 01:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RoyalGTP
@Dec 9 2005, 12:07 AM
In all honesty, if you cant afford to go fast, stop modding till you get outa college....

Leaving a trail a debt behind at your age is no fun once you hit 25 or so and realize what a waste half that money was.

Go to college, have a normal car, graduate, get a real job, buy whatever you want......

You want to own the car, not the other way around.  Being 19 and owning 2 cars is insane.......
[snapback]106464[/snapback]​

Solid advice from someone who's been there/done that.
[snapback]106581[/snapback]​
[/b]

Never had a debt trail, but would have if I decided to go nuts with the car...school was number one. Finding beer and gas money was second....car was third.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
speed isn't everything in life, I found that it gets you into more trouble than its worth.
either with the law, or financially.

If you like nice interiors, want something that gets good gas mileage, yet still somewhat sporty and a fun drive- I would seriously look into a Mazda 6s
get yourself a stick, black leather interior. put down about 7 grand and finance the rest, you should definitely be trying to build some credit at this stage in your life- might as well do it while you have the folks around to cosign for you.
youll probobly be sitting on a nice 120-150 car payment and have a decent year round car that you wont be embarassed to bring girls in, and still be able to go out for a nice spirited cruise with the guys.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
and concerning your original dilema- you need to figure out which way puts you in the best position.
if you put the money and time into it, and end up having to give it all to your dad after selling it- i'd say its probobly not worth it, especially if hes willing to dump the car with no motor and eat the loss himself.

if you can agree to a price below what you KNOW you can get for it with the motor put in, and come out ahead financially a bit- then that is the route to take.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Dec 9 2005, 11:43 AM
I dont really know alot about SHO's. But my dad has a 02 Taurus SE with 64K He uses it as a loaner car for his body shop, but most of the time my mom drives it to work. This Taurus runs ok I guess, its only a few years old it better. But the trans on that car is just horible. The car shifts sooo hard if your not at WOT, and really feels like it has no power. Most cars gain power at higher RPMs, but this Taurus seems to bog and actually slows down when it shifts, and really lags when you go WOT from a roll.  The car feels sooo slow for 160HP/185TQ it probably loses like 30% of the power through the Ford Trans. My first car (95 Monte Carlo LS) had around the same power 160/185 and weight and it feels way faster, it could break lose the tires and everything, Taurus, nope cant peelout. I looked up stats on various websites and the Monte runs around a second faster in the 1/4 than the Taurus with almost exactly the same engine sizes and HP/TQ ratings. I know there are so many other varilbles that determine 1/4 mile time, but you think these cars would run simular times. Thats a Ford trans for you.

This doesent really mean anything because I know this 02 Taurus SE with the 3.0 shitty motor is probably wayyy diffrent than the early 90's SHOs, im just telling you my expereince with Ford.
[snapback]106542[/snapback]​

02 taurus SE is WAYYYY different than a SHO... its like comparing apples to oranges

2000gtp

Regular
Feb 17, 2008
Omaha,NE
I'd stay away from the SHO's one of my friends had a 93 and his brother has a 98, the 93 lasted him 5monthes and the trans went out and he bought it from an over 30 guy, and the 98 has had nothing but charging system troubles.... for the money id steer clear of performance and go for reliability... my car has been down since febuary of 05... ive been driving a 84 Chevy C10 P.O.S. edition all year with no cost but tune-up and brakes.

Just my .02

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
Ryan, I think you want Pauls sho. you see how much fun he has in the car...and you want that experience yourself.

when you were in my car in schaumburg...you wanted to drive your GTP.

its all about having fun. I dont think your to the point where fast isnt everything yet. Im almost to it. I think next summer and I am done. with financial responsibility, and seeing the car scene die down.....I am not having anymore fun. you need to think long and hard. pros and cons. dont listen to people on here except for Don. he has been there and done that. heck he was around when washington chopped down the cherry tree.

it is your decision. no one elses. I think your looking at the driving part of it/fun. your not looking at matinence, time and effort that goes into a new car..researching what can go wrong...so your able to fix it if it ever happens. look at the SHO, and then look at your gtp. the gtp is a lot more luxurious, sporty, overall a better car. its resale value is a lot higher than the sho. you know how to work on the car. you have spent a lot of time and money into the car to just get rid of it. you will never get back what you have put into it.

think long and hard. f-bodies arent all they are cracked up to be. comparing LS1's to LT1's are like apples and oranges. they all have problems. they al require money for insurance, gas, go fast parts. its all a money game. how much is enough?

I'm just rambling on.....I'm tired.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think I have SHO in my blood... I think. A 60k will cost no one $150 unless they are only doing the shims. For those that don't know, a 60k consists of:

- Valve shim adjustment
- Timing Belt Replacement
- Spark plugs/ Spark Plug wire replacement

Now if you're going to get the parts that will last and make the car perform correctly you're looking at about $50.00 for the shim tools, $50.00 for the shim rental ($200 core), $100 for the valve cover gaskets, $60.00 for the timing belt, $70.00 for the plug wires (assuming you're using the wires we brought to market, otherwise $299.00 (I shit you not)), and $30 for plugs. You have $340 there for what would be considered a basic 60k.

Given the failure rate of the parts on these cars, most also do the following (it will need to be done soon after if you don't do the basic 60k):

- Water pump ($85.00)
- Crank Position Sensor ($80.00)
- Cam Position Sensor ($60.00)
- Cam Oil Seals ($30.00)
- Crank Seal ($30.00)
- Rod bearings ($70.00) - The manual transmission cars have a tendency to eat bearings but most can be replaced (even after knocking) and have a long service life afterwards.

The SHO is one of the most fun (grammatical correctness?) vehicles you could ever drive, but it is initially not a cheap vehicle to own. Assuming you take care of most of the problems the previous owner neglected (and they always did) to take care of when you buy the car, you should get years of enjoyment out of it.

Don't plan on it being cheap though. Cheap sucks people into the car; the maintenance turns it's new owner into a mechanic. :(

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Ok....

DONT TOUCH THE 10K. SAVE IT. Use it for a house in 5 years...

You've got a car now...fix it, get it right...quit worrying so much about speed. You're 19, in college...

Save that 10K for something worthwhile you will appreciate more later, as opposed to a car you buy now, and then next year, you're tired of it, break it, or crack it up and yuo're back to square one again, this time only without the 10K to back you up.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

ok where to start first off just keep the gp, you don't want payments looming over you. You know the history of your car and most of shit on it is still working.. I have almost a same setup my dad bought me my car and paid it outright, I could of gotten a new car put 13-14k down and done payments, but I was 17 at the time and really other than designing tattoo flash I had no job. So Just paid for the car and a years insurance. Just a bit of advice, if you keep your gp make sure the car is in your name, considering if you hit someone in it and it is in your dads name they can sue him, even if you have good insurance coverage.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by dole21@Dec 10 2005, 10:43 AM
Ok....

DONT TOUCH THE 10K.  SAVE IT.  Use it for a house in 5 years...

You've got a car now...fix it, get it right...quit worrying so much about speed.  You're 19, in college...

Save that 10K for something worthwhile you will appreciate more later, as opposed to a car you buy now, and then next year, you're tired of it, break it, or crack it up and yuo're back to square one again, this time only without the 10K to back you up.
[snapback]106665[/snapback]​

Good point........take maybe 5k at most and leave the rest to start a house fund/married/grad school.

Cars really are nothing but a waste of money.

BTW, my friend has a mazda 3 w a 5 speed and its pretty fun and quick.

A Mazda 6 w a 5 speed may fit you really nice. Check them out.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by UncleRam@Dec 10 2005, 11:54 AM
AND,...............YOU WERE NOT VERY CHARMING BEFORE YOUR TRANSFORMATION, EITHER!
[snapback]106673[/snapback]​

Thank you...coming from you, that means..................nothing much! <_<

Ryan,

Saving money is a good idea but what many of us older folks sometimes forget is not to grow up too fast. Enjoy being young! Save a little but have a car that you know you'll like. Just try not to invest so much into a car to where you won't get even half back out of. our future will usually work out as long as you keep somewhat of a level head as you make your decisions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info