Deep Fried Steak Experiment

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Most top shelf steaks are essentially fried in butter in a pan for that insanely good taste when you bite into it. Grilled steaks are great, don't get me wrong, but you have to finish them in a some kind of "fried" way with butter to get that restaurant style taste you seek.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh, I have never been a fan of cooking fattier meats in oil or fat. The flavor and texture becomes too heavy/fatty. If the cut of meat is good, no additional oil or fat is needed at all. Straight meat to heat is my preference. Seasoning is allowed though. I like a good dry rub that is sweet and spicy.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
With a good cut of steak, you want char on the outside for the chemical Maillard reaction that makes charred meat taste so good and medium rare, tender meat on the inside for complementary texture and flavor.

Deep frying, as mentioned, adds way too much fat and cooking inconsistency.

I'm trying to get my sous vide steaks right but, so far, a reverse sear using indirect heat and then direct heat still results in the best cooked steaks.

The "choice" ribeyes I am using may be part of my problem. I'm going to pick up some "prime" steak to see if it's my methods or if it's the meat.

Don't get me wrong. I seared the sous vide steak in a cast iron pan and then used the fond/drippings to make a mushroom, red wine, cream sauce so the steak with the sauce was amazing. Still, it wasn't the best steak I ever had.

Getting back to the topic at hand, no. Just no on deep frying.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, Harry has been around for a long time. He was on the food channel shows with Myron Mixon and Johnny Trigg. Didn't win a lot back then but it's clear from his video he knows all the work involved with competition cooking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom