Deadly Crash at WannaGoFast event ��

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
NOLA-Track-Map.pdf
the track. 3200 front straight.
https://nolamotor.com/the-track/

damn near 0 runoff without going into a direct hard turn.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm pretty sure the event was livestreamed, so unfortunately video was posted immediately.

Maybe it's just me being insensitive, but if that were me as the driver, and other racers and event organizers could learn from my crash, I would want everyone to see it.

I've never participated in one of these events and don't think I ever would. Without a real sanctioning body and no real safety standards enforced, these types of wrecks will continue.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
From another forum. I honestly think this might be the end of WGF. Anyone know if they'd used this track before?

FFS. I've raced at NOLA, and this event's "shutdown" zone is the roadcourse braking zone for turn 1. It is bumpy as hell - the car literally surfs from asphalt peak to peak, and it throws the car side to side as you are trying to slow down because the grip is so variable as the tires lands after each bump. It's sketchy at 160 MPH in a high-aero GT car; I would absolutely not want to be going 210 in a street car there.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
even when wannagofast was here at Bult (?) airfield the shutdown was huge. cars going 200+ had no issues. 1 car went off the end because he lost brakes and also kept on it well after the finish line. 1 car (gtr) went into the grass out to the road, around the block, and back into the main entrance he took off his big wang and sent it! other than that, 0 issues in the IL events in 5 years? WGF and NFZ.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Lots of people are calling for a governing body for events like this. That's not the answer, safety is always the responsibility of the individual. Even if i've ridden 250 laps at a track..i still spend the first 20 minute session going slow AF and looking for any differences in the pavement from the last time I was there. Things change even at tracks you're familiar with.

This guy must have just gotten a little too comfortable in high HP cars, and it ended in disaster. I really can't get over how bad I feel for his loved ones and family. His wife and kids watched him die. Just awful

One perspective is below, which I agree with for the most part. The only thing WGF did wrong here is pick a shitty track, nothing else.

Everyone complaining about the cage issue....

That’s the whole point behind these events. Guys want to build fast street cars and take their super cars out and do super car stuff.

Car manufacturers constantly tote their cars can do 155, 175 and 200mph; this is where you finally get a chance to do that.

Racing on a certified NHRA drag strip has some major draw backs.

It’s only 1/4 mile
Launching is 80% of drag racing and is where shit breaks and goes wrong
Safety Regs. - Cages, DS Hoops, Cut Off, etc

Adding a monster cage, 5pt harness, fix back seat, external cut off... these things make a car less safe on the street and for some states means you won’t pass inspection.

People going to these events are well aware of he risks and the safeties they give up.

Let’s be Americans and embrace that rather then cry like babies and regulate shit to death.

To much risk for you? No one is asking you to race there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
A cage and a better harness make a car less safe on the street? wut?

That part was interesting, and all I can think is I wonder how cages effect OEM crash measure stuff- like crumple zones and stuff like that?

If my car was capable of a legit 200+mph and was making 1000+hp...Id want SOME safety stuff in place. And I'm not targeting this instance, just a more broad statement.

yeah that's fine, but i'm unsure "MORE RULES MORE LAWS SOMEONE HAS TO DO SOMETHING" is necessary here.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
That part was interesting, and all I can think is I wonder how cages effect OEM crash measure stuff- like crumple zones and stuff like that?

yeah that's fine, but i'm unsure "MORE RULES MORE LAWS SOMEONE HAS TO DO SOMETHING" is necessary here.

Oh I agree there. An accident, as horrible as it may be, doesn't suddenly mean these events are crazy unsafe and now must be governed by a bunch of computer jockeys.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Complaining about the NHRA cage and safety hardware is laughable. They are there for a reason. Obviously.

So events like these shouldn't have rules for safety? Because they are for "street cars". I hate to break it to you, most of these insanely fast cars a big money builds and 90% racecar.

As far as safety is the individual's problem, sorry, I disagree there. You are paying an event organizer money to use a facility. That facility should be reasonably safe to handle the event. I am not saying this is the case here, but in general, they should be providing a safe place for people to run. I do not think ANY of these events are as safe as they should be. Mainly due to the tracks not having walls to keep the cars on the track.

Why do you think many race organizations who race on a track have safety regulations and requirements? Off-roading being the exception. Why do you think many of those rules and requirements have changed over time? It's to keep drivers, crews, and spectators safe.

I do think the individual should take a walk or slow pass on the track to see if it is worth taking the risk of running. I agree with that 100% as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
A cage and a better harness make a car LESS safe on the street? wut?

Like mentioned, they could have a negative effect on crumple zones. As well as become in the ways of things like air bags. Plus the main one is people saying it puts the occupant's heads too close to a hard cage bar.

If my car was capable of a legit 200+mph and was making 1000+hp...Id want SOME safety stuff in place. And I'm not targeting this instance, just a more broad statement.

I agree. This crash, for example, none of the factory safety equipment are probably going to save you.

Yaj Yak said:

Many crashes lead to changes in rules and equipment. A pretty famous one was Dale Earnhardt's death. The HANS device came about after that and is a great addition to motorsports.

Oh I agree there. An accident, as horrible as it may be, doesn't suddenly mean these events are crazy unsafe and now must be governed by a bunch of computer jockeys.

I can understand the want of an "outlaw" spirit of events. But at some speed, there has to be limits and rules. You can't go to one of the most famous speed events in history without class rules. Bonneville.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive been in a few cars with full cages and Ive never been worried about hitting my head. Ive also never been in an accident with one. But for those who like to street race, especially, it boggles my mind how against safety equipment most are.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ive been in a few cars with full cages and Ive never been worried about hitting my head. Ive also never been in an accident with one. But for those who like to street race, especially, it boggles my mind how against safety equipment most are.

Ya, some cars have a lot of clearance to make it tuck up nice and tight out of the way. Other cars are very tight and limited on room. Some cars just have poorly executed cages. And most don't put seats in the car that sit lower and places the person further away from the cage.

And ya, the street racers like to gamble on no cage in the name of the hustle

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
A cage and a better harness make a car LESS safe on the street? wut?

Drag cages might be less intrusive I haven't sat in a car with one. But in most of the cars I have road raced my head would hit the side halo bars without a helmet on. I have banged my helmet on those when I have spun around during some rain racing. I also tend to be in smaller cars and I am fairly tall. But it is a concern Plus running a harness on the street with a cage without a helmet means you can't use a hans device which means you risk basal skull fracture. When you hit a wall and your whole body doesn't move except for your watermelon of a head, bad things happen.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You have to remember what forces you are dealing with at higher speeds. A 3800# street car @ 200 mph needs a cage to withstand those forces. A typical 8 point cage is most likely going to hold up well.

Look at drag racing. The rules spec that the car has a spec cage based on ET/MPH. As you go quicker and faster the cage requirements is more. I am sure road course rules are the same way. A 3 point roll bar may work in a slow class. But as you go faster they require more.

Again, these rules are there in the name of safety. I know many of you have been to KOTS and seen some pretty nasty accidents. Could you imagine them without the cage and so on? Come on. I know all of you are smart enough to know going some of the speeds the cars do at these 1/2 & mile events are fast enough to need safety equipment. Not having it is gambling with your life. Even having it is no guarantee you would be saved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info