Deadly Crash at WannaGoFast event ��

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I mean roll bar, harness, hans device would be my goal for a "street" car. That is what I am doing on the 510. But I am setting it back far enough that I can street drive with a 3 point belt and no helmet.

I have a real question for you. If you have a cage, permanent seat position, and a 5 harness (?), why wouldn't you use the 5 point harness every time?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I have a real question for you. If you have a cage, permanent seat position, and a 5 harness (?), why wouldn't you use the 5 point harness every time?

I am speaking to a rollbar. If I had a full cage I shouldn't be driving it on the street at all.

Unless I am wearing the helmet/hans I wouldn't be using the 5 point. That is just my feeling from what I have seen/heard from people who do safety stuff for their job.

If you are harnessed in the only thing that can really move is your arms/head. What happens when you hit a wall at even maybe like 80mph. Your body stays still and your head slams forward. With a 3 point your head won't hit the same g loads as there is some give before it sinches up and your body moves a bit as a whole.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I am speaking to a rollbar. If I had a full cage I shouldn't be driving it on the street at all.

Unless I am wearing the helmet/hans I wouldn't be using the 5 point. That is just my feeling from what I have seen/heard from people who do safety stuff for their job.

If you are harnessed in the only thing that can really move is your arms/head. What happens when you hit a wall at even maybe like 80mph. Your body stays still and your head slams forward. With a 3 point your head won't hit the same g loads as there is some give before it sinches up and your body moves a bit as a whole.

Having been in a couple hard hit crashes on the street, I can confirm the stock belt/seat setup allows some major body movement. Better to slow down your brain/organs over the furthest possible distance I say.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I'm still trying to understand how not only the event organizers but also the racers thought a shutdown/brake zone of nearly 1/3 of what we had at the WGF and Omega events is a remotely safe idea, let alone the bump/chop of the road there. See the images, people literally were just slamming on the brakes coming to a screeching halt putting down a bunch of rubber

We had literally a like a ~1/2 mile of shutdown at the first WGF and there were still a few cars that wrecked(well crashed or went off the runway), plus those cars weren't doing close to 200 iirc, like 170s?

Jeez, RIP and smh

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Having been in a couple hard hit crashes on the street, I can confirm the stock belt/seat setup allows some major body movement. Better to slow down your brain/organs over the furthest possible distance I say.

If you are properly restrained, the human body can handle a lot of G's. I saw this test on the History channel a few years back, but in testing ejections out of planes they tested up to 45 g's. The test pilots and real life crash dummies had some brass balls.

https://www.popsci.com/blog-network/vintage-space/john-paul-stapp-real-life-rocket-sled-man#page-3

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I read that too and scratched my head.

I don't have a car capable of 200 mph, but if I did I'd want to make sure it would have the proper safety equipment. That's what sanctioning bodies for do a great job of in enforcing rules and guidelines for safety.

The driver rolled the dice and lost.

He knew what the car was capable of, understood the track (pre-driver’s meeting) and made the conscious decision to “send it”.

Hopefully he didn’t suffer.

An in car Gopro would have been interesting to view / understand what happened.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Does anyone have video of a full run at this event? All I can find are clips of cars launching, nothing at the back end. I also can't find any other decent race videos from NOLA that use the full straight, they seem to run the other configuration pretty often.

I'm curious how bumpy it was at speed, you'd think it would be easy to find videos of this. It kind of wouldn't surprise me if they quietly stopped allowing use of the full straight as the track got more and more bumpy, hence the lack of videos.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not playing defense for the guy not having a cage here..

When you are on the street, you are driving around without a helmet, likely not using the 5/6pt harness to keep you in the seat. In an accident is your unprotected head and body move about the cabin and hit VERY hard objects like the cage, usually causing head trauma and other broken bones that wouldn't otherwise be found in a stock car at legal speeds. The head trauma is the most dangerous part of it.

If you have a cage, you should always be wearing the full harness, even if you decide to go without the helmet, it will keep you strapped in place if something happens.

If I was at an event with a car that serious I'd probably have a full cage + hybrid HANS setup.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

5pt/6pt harnesses aren't usually DOT legal.

So, if you are rolling around in full harness, you can still get a ticket for not wearing a seat-belt.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

Have you been in an accident with a modern auto tensioning belt? They violently tighten, almost instantly. There's very little forward movement. I didn't know what hit me when I experienced it. It knocked the wind out of me. It was also difficult to unlatch because it was so tight and didn't release or retract after the hit.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The factory seat belt locks almost instantly as mentioned already. The only movement of the body is because the 3 seat belts allow your body to move more than a 5 point harness would. Once the stock seat belt is locked I would think the neck would be subject to the same forces as if you were in a 5 point harness. If you are in an accident that would have enough force to snap your neck in a 5 point harness, your are probably going to have issues with the factory seat belt as well.

Even if it wasn't as much force, because the 3 seat belt movement you have a higher chance of hitting the cage. Most people will not a racing seat that sits on the floor of the car to allow more clearance to the cage. That would be my reason, more than anything, to use the 5 point harness. Especially in a car where the cage might be closer to the occupants.

5pt/6pt harnesses aren't usually DOT legal.

So, if you are rolling around in full harness, you can still get a ticket for not wearing a seat-belt.

There are probably so many other non DOT items and non legal things besides a 5 point harness. Not sure that would be a huge concern. Wear both? haha

I have known people who got pulled over while wearing a 5 point harness. I am not aware of anyone who got a ticket for it.

When you build a streetcar to be part race car you start making compromises. It is inevitable. I have been there myself.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Have you been in an accident with a modern auto tensioning belt? They violently tighten, almost instantly. There's very little forward movement. I didn't know what hit me when I experienced it. It knocked the wind out of me. It was also difficult to unlatch because it was so tight and didn't release or retract after the hit.

Some of them are spring powered, or gas, and some are actually powered by essentially a shot-gun shell.

https://youtu.be/6phdJWRi_vw

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info