Dasfinc’s Financial Mistake

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Still in Wheaton, actually back closer to you again I think (off Mack road).

That's an 03-05 right?Front bumper is same style as mine, but the Grill and Headlights are the Pre 06 lift style.

The BMW V8 I've heard a LOT of horror stories about Vs. the Jaguar one in mine. Granted mine being an 06 is the bastard year in the middle of cutting things over.

I am off orchard. As far as the 4.4 beamer engine that don't scare me. I have had a bunch in my 740il and 540i cars. Easy to work on. And welp if it takes a crap I can get a nice used one less then 1k .LOL. Mine runs like a top though.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
December check in:

Broke the rear windshield wiper somehow while swapping out the blade.

Front blades are proprietary so they are held on with Zipties right now because zero fucks given.

Serpentine belt is squeaking badly; gotta tackle that this week.

Otherwise; it’s been dead nuts reliable to me. My daughter loves watching curious George DVDs on the old ICE system.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
First repair check in;

Decided candidly that the squeak wasn’t belt related and ordered both belt tensioners.

Belt and tensioner replacement requires the mechanical fan and shroud to both be removed which was a pain in the dick, but managed to get everything dismounted in about an hour and a half.

Confirmed the rear tensioner has failed, and am replacing both tensioners and belts, then putting it all back together.

Repair cost - Both tensioners: $75 with Coupons for both tensioners, another $30 in belts. Hope to have it wrapped up in another hour or two.

TwWhWOh.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I’ve concluded my first Solo flight repairing my Rover, friggen mechanical fan removal required for the service which sucked.

Summary: had a squeak from the serpentine area.

Diagnoses: it’s squeaking

Repair:
Google how to “replace fan belt on 2006 Range Rover” to discover no ‘How To’s’ for this specific model.

Google how to do it on a similar truck/Engine (LR4), and find out how big of a PITA it will be.

Order everything that can possibly squeak due to limited parts availability to return what’s not used.

Remove intake

Remove splash shrouds

Remove entire mechanical fan shroud and assembly with limited to no access.

Remove both primary belt and secondary belt drive tensioners.

Remove fan belt, idler pulley bracket, and Accessory belt.

Replace everything in reverse order.

Total cost :$117 and ~ 3 hours.

Dealer quote: $697

YtwH3XZ.jpg

u1xSTJG.jpg

Thread Info