Coolant Issues. Car overheating.

Rebel

Reaction score
Been dealing with this for about 2 months, and now turning it into a priority. Previously driving over the mountain, the coolant in the overflow tank burst out and I threw a P0117 code. Added coolant, got any air out of the system and it's mostly been running fine. The CEL went away, although I have had to refill the coolant overflow tank once a week or so, usually under high load or at altitude but outside of that no overheating as far as I'm aware.

Was low about 1.5 quarts of oil, and was running a little high on coolant so fixed both of those. Drove a week and last night engine temps spiked to 248 although it fluctuated between about 200-248 , CEL and the p0117 came back. Tried doing a pressure test today but tips on finding leaks?

What's my next step?

Rebel

Reaction score
Made an edit that I found another adapter that I think is working. Car doesn't hold pressure but can't pinpoint any leaks anywhere.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Have you filled it, turned on the A/C, run it until it's hot and look/listen for leaks?

Check the oil to make sure it's not white and foamy? That would show a head gasket leak.

Rebel

Reaction score
Oil looks fine. I may pull the intercooler off to check if anything leaking into that. I bled the radiator this morning. Couldn't hear a leak over the sound of the engine, also didn't see anything visable. Same When I redid the pressure test. It lost pressure almost immediately once I started to go above 10 psi.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Where are you pressuring at? The degas bottle? Or at the radiator cap? You don't need to have engine running. Any cooling system should hold 10 plus psi and not bleed off. And if it's losing psi you're leaking at that point too unless it's super high leak and your systems not full.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
And what are we even working on

Rebel

Reaction score
Where are you pressuring at? The degas bottle? Or at the radiator cap? You don't need to have engine running. Any cooling system should hold 10 plus psi and not bleed off. And if it's losing psi you're leaking at that point too unless it's super high leak and your systems not full.
2014 WRX. Doing it off the radiator Cap. I was testing it at 15psi because that's the pressure on the cap.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is your cap blowing off premature

Rebel

Reaction score
Actually the coolant has been coming out of the overflow tank. Haven't worked on my car in a while so mixing up terms.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Right, which means your cap is blowing off. It's either blowing off prematurely or it's beyond 15 psi which means head gasket issue. T in a gauge

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
Put a gauge on the rad, start and run the engine and watch the psi.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
Sounds like a head gasket blowing combustion pressure into the coolant system. Same thing happened when I had my corvette and I got a little too overzealous with the nitrous

Rebel

Reaction score
What do I need to do to check the head gaskets? I'm about to pull the intercooler off to see if there's oil in there.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Umm. Measure the psi in the cooling system at OP temp and driving.

Rebel

Reaction score
I'm going to get a leak test done and test the cylinders. Any other tests before I replace the head gaskets?

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
Right, which means your cap is blowing off. It's either blowing off prematurely or it's beyond 15 psi which means head gasket issue. T in a gauge
Sounds like solid advise from the doc.. wish I had enough experience to concur.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom