Coolant Issues. Car overheating.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Been dealing with this for about 2 months, and now turning it into a priority. Previously driving over the mountain, the coolant in the overflow tank burst out and I threw a P0117 code. Added coolant, got any air out of the system and it's mostly been running fine. The CEL went away, although I have had to refill the coolant overflow tank once a week or so, usually under high load or at altitude but outside of that no overheating as far as I'm aware.

Was low about 1.5 quarts of oil, and was running a little high on coolant so fixed both of those. Drove a week and last night engine temps spiked to 248 although it fluctuated between about 200-248 , CEL and the p0117 came back. Tried doing a pressure test today but tips on finding leaks?

What's my next step?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Oil looks fine. I may pull the intercooler off to check if anything leaking into that. I bled the radiator this morning. Couldn't hear a leak over the sound of the engine, also didn't see anything visable. Same When I redid the pressure test. It lost pressure almost immediately once I started to go above 10 psi.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Where are you pressuring at? The degas bottle? Or at the radiator cap? You don't need to have engine running. Any cooling system should hold 10 plus psi and not bleed off. And if it's losing psi you're leaking at that point too unless it's super high leak and your systems not full.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Where are you pressuring at? The degas bottle? Or at the radiator cap? You don't need to have engine running. Any cooling system should hold 10 plus psi and not bleed off. And if it's losing psi you're leaking at that point too unless it's super high leak and your systems not full.

2014 WRX. Doing it off the radiator Cap. I was testing it at 15psi because that's the pressure on the cap.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Right, which means your cap is blowing off. It's either blowing off prematurely or it's beyond 15 psi which means head gasket issue. T in a gauge

Sounds like solid advise from the doc.. wish I had enough experience to concur.

Dr-Gregory-House-dr-gregory-house-31954916-1024-768.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info