🔧 BUILD CMNT's Cadillac STS-V

General Information

Stemming from discussion in the other thread about not many peoples cars/build threads, I mentioned this and people seem not to know much about it. So here it goes...

CMNT's 2006 Cadillac STS-V

They were produced for 4 model years (2006 - 2009), and only 2,503 were made. It's an STS that is obviously "V-ified". That includes;

- 1 hand-built 4.4L, supercharged, intercooled V8 (hand built at the GM Performance Center right alongside LS7's, LS9/A's, etc)
- 1 6L80E
- Rear wheel drive as God intended
- some suspension goodies
- Brembo's at all 4 corners
- 18" front wheels, 19" rear wheels
- then the visual stuff

There isn't a lot of aftermarket support due to low production numbers, but I have done both pieces of the intake (Spectre, none of that D3 expensive shit), Magnaflow exhaust, some intercooler work (the bane of any supercharged GM vehicle's existence) and then tuned by Jim at Speed Inc. It did 415/472 on Speed's dyno. I have never tracked it, more simply out of lack of time.

They came in three exterior colors;
- Light Platinum Metallic (what mine is)
- Thunder Grey Metallic (could also be listed as "Thunder Grey Chromaflair")
- Black Raven

Interior colors were;
- Light Grey (mine)
- Ebony
- Ebony with red accents

At the time I really wanted a CTS-V, but with the two kids in big, bulky car seats, I needed the bigger car, so I had to sacrifice a little. :p

So pics

1688794999626.png

M9OlLmJ.jpg

ShFKW1k.jpg

WMKLhat.jpg

9E24E0s.jpg

OMluThX.jpg

Vt6CyDp.jpg

VgsmBUK.jpg
Reactions: P40E

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i think it's worth noting as well that the xlr-v's had the same engine/trans...

right [MENTION=7801]cmntmxr57[/MENTION]?

there was another one of these on here a while back as well, iirc he was running mid 12s or something.

I knew of the sts but just assumed the V was going to be some lame package not a 460hp supercharged northstar. Xlr has this engine too didn’t it?

werrrrrrrrrrrrd

luckily somehow GM hasn't bastardized the V name plate just yet

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
To many multiple quotes here.

- Yes, the XLR-V is the same LC3 as the STS-V, but due to more cramped space, it's exhaust manifolds are more restrictive than the STS and as such, you see the "rated" power to be slightly less than the STS. However, they respond the same to the same mods.

- No AWD. There is simply no room in the trans tunnel with the 6L80E to mount a transfer case and run a front driveshaft. Regular STS 4's have it running the passenger side. There would be room for a front diff though. But just no space to get the power there.

You don't really need AWD though with all the electronic nannies on the car. In Competitive Driving Mode, it allows the proper amount of wheel spin and traction control to maintain forward momentum. In regular mode, too much intrusion, completely off, while you can't roast the shit out of the tires (it will ultimately intervene, and a problem when dyno'ing), it will just simply keep spinning enough to waste time.

- Most of these STS-V's took the depreciation hit 2 years in. Mine stickered new for $81k when new (I ran GMVIS on it at one time). I picked it up used in 2010 with extended warranty a new set of brakes and brand spanking new Michelin Pilot Sports for $27k. It was even such a steal that the wife was like "I'm surprised you're even clearing this with me first and not already in Mississippi!"

Yea John, I don't post much about the toys simply because I like to walk quietly... I know it's not the fastest thing in the world and there is always someone faster, but it's fun to take down "quick" cars with a 4,300 pound luxo liner. And yes Spivitz, the car is an absolute hoot to drive. Oh, and supercharger whine, once you remove that restrictive upper air intake, the noises... OH the noises it makes. I think I've posted videos of it here before.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
In the later years of the model, the actual engine builder would add a plaque with their name on the engine. I think it was 2007's through 2009's. Us lowly 2006's didn't get that treatment. So if you got that, more value for the $$$$. :D I do have my "GM Performance Division" badge though on the radiator support.

So if you see one and you see the names of;
Bruce Elam
Anthony Hoskins
Derril Easlick (sp?)
Norm Baldwin
Bob Trommater
John Morrisey

On the cam covers, that's the engine builder.

From an XLR-V
engine_plate_large.jpg

And yes, I have these names because I have been maintaining an STS-V registry of all VIN#'s. So far I am up to 714 of the 2,503.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Oh and a couple more gratuitous pics

First, at GM HQ... Front row parking at RenCen in downtown Detroit.
9L7tlOG.jpg

Then, they were having a 50 year anniversary for the Camaro, which along with the current CTS, is built at the Lansing/Grand River Assembly plant in Lansing, MI. Back in 2006, mine was built there. So I brought her home, parked in the employee parking like the boss I am :D ;
VPxqKQv.jpg

Thread Info