• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Clutch pedal does not return all the way - 2016 Mustang 5.0

WindyCity_5.0

Feb 29, 2020
Yesterday I was driving around (2016 5.0). I wasn't driving it hard or anything. While shifting, the pedal would not return all the way. I was able to pull it back up with my foot and it worked fine afterwords.
Alot of forums, have information on this. Some are saying to replace the line from the reservoir to the Trans with a braided line. Other s say to replace the slave cylinder.
Anyone else have this issue before? What was the fix?

Reactions: Shawn1112

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I had that happen to me when the blower became too much for my stock clutch. Though mine continued to behave erratically afterwards and made weird hissing noises. Do you have a power adder?

I replaced the stock clutch with something beefier and I also upgraded to a braided line. Hopefully yours is a much cheaper fix.

Reactions: WindyCity_5.0

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Can't speak to the mustangs, but the line issue is common on the GM clutches. There is a restriction in the line right where it goes in to the slave. What happens, is under repeated, quick actuation, because of this restriction, fluid doesn't back flow to the master to allow for proper pressure on the next depression of the clutch pedal.

So many replace the line. Some will do a "drill out" mod where they disconnect the line at the slave, insert a drill bit (on a drill obviously) and drilling through the restriction, then flushing the line before reconnecting.

Here, more in depth;

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I had that happen to me when the blower became too much for my stock clutch. Though mine continued to behave erratically afterwards and made weird hissing noises. Do you have a power adder?

I replaced the stock clutch with something beefier and I also upgraded to a braided line. Hopefully yours is a much cheaper fix.
No power adder that I'm aware of

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Look at the clutch pedal there are a couple of over centering return Springs on most pedals. one or both of them may have broken and the pedal is not easily returning to home position.

This is something you can check with a flashlight to verify it's not the issue before you go chasing a diagnostic far more involved and expensive

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
This was a real known issue with the 11-14 mustangs, the plate just couldn't sustain higher rpm then stock, and would get stuck down on a shift. As for the S550, ford went to a different clutch that I regularly can take to 8k with no issue. Make sure someone didnt pull out the clutch pedal assist spring. Other then that, clutch is likely been overheated one too many times, and needs replacement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info