Chris Harris: Dear Automakers, Please stop making turbos suck

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'd ask [MENTION=2933]Thirdgen89GTA[/MENTION] what the traction control was set to during that data log, because it looks like you spun for a good amount of 1st, and maybe chirped 2nd, but otherwise had no spin.

Might help answer [MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION]'s question as well.

It was in "Doesn't save your bacon mode". TCM, STM were fully off. The PCM still had its brake based E-Diff active though. Ford calls it Torque Vectoring, since it basically increases performance all the time, you can't turn it off.

The wheel spin in at the beginning was on purpose. It was a 2nd gear roll-on, it basically spun from about 15mph to 50mph when the boost hit. You can see a small spike in the boost as it starts to rise, then the boost doesn't increase as rapidly because there isn't much load while the wheels are spinning. Turbo responds pretty quick at low-revs and hits hard.

Focus ST does not have any torque management in Cobb tune, which is what was run there.

The Focus ST's throttle map by default isn't linear. The Cobb tune's map is linear and 100% correlation between pedal position and throttle blade position. Whatever your foot commands is what the throttle blade does.

I do have Waste gate opening in the datalog, but didn't post the numbers with it. I could post the log if anyone wants to see all of the items, but its a lot of data points.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Oh trust me. Explaining "clutch protection" to people with the GT500 at the half mile was like I was speaking french. Even if they understood the concept they still didn't believe me. :rofl: They just thought I couldn't drive when other "stock" cars with less tire and suspension could run faster than me.

Ford's clutch management is an interesting beast to conquer.

I would believe it. Make big numbers with limited usability to keep warranty issues down. Gt-rs get the hate for this mostly but you really need great parts to avoid breaking stuff with today's power. Then again that was also a hallmark of old turbo cars. They would make great power till you started wrecking shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info