Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's a 1/2 ton thing for sure, and only on some trims (ie. Ford is Lariat & up)

But isn't the t-case locked when in 4WD as opposed to 4-Auto? Therefore being a locking center differential?

no because if the front tires were off the ground, and the rears weren't all the power would go out the front.

right?

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
no because if the front tires were off the ground, and the rears weren't all the power would go out the front.

right?

In 4-Auto, yes. In 4WD no, you get a true 50/50 split. The Ford Transfer Case is a BorgWarner "TOD" case, as used on the older explorers/expeditions under the ControlTrac marketing name. Quote taken below from ControlTrac's wiki page

Auto mode
Auto mode was featured on both Explorer and Expedition and allows for all-weather, full-time four-wheel drive capability on pavement as needed. In Auto mode, the engine’s torque is normally routed to the rear drive wheels. A misconception about the system is that it continuously shifts into and out of four-wheel drive as needed. This is not true, for when Auto mode is selected, the front axle hubs are permanently engaged, locking them to the front axle shafts, front differential, and front drive shaft. This is so the front drive shaft always rotates (turns) when the vehicle is being driven at speed. The computer control system needs the front drive shaft to turn, so that it can monitor and compare the rotational speed of both the front and rear drive shafts. If the rear drive shaft starts to turn faster than the front, the system interprets that (along with input from other sensors) as traction loss. When traction loss is detected, torque is sent forward to the front differential in 10 percent increments, via the center multi-disc clutch. As it does so, intelligent control software allows the center multi-disc clutch to behave like a geared center differential, such that "driveline binding" and "torque windup" do not occur. The transfer of torque is done in secrecy, virtually undetectable by the occupants of the vehicle.

In the early 2000s, ControlTrac was updated and introduced in 2002 with more advanced software programming, building on the system’s artificial intelligence.[8] The four-wheel drive system's updated artificial intelligence allowed the system to predict traction loss before it happened, so that torque can be transferred before it was needed.[7][8] This improvement meant the system could operate more like other "always-on" full-time four-wheel drive systems as it no longer had to "wait" for traction loss to take action.[8] Another improvement was front-to-rear "torque biasing" capability in Auto mode. ControlTrac's intelligent multi-disc differential could now send all 100 percent of the engine’s torque forward, biasing it to the front differential if severe traction loss was anticipated, predicted, or detected.[8]

Four High and Four Low modes
Four High and Four Low modes were also featured on both Explorer and Expedition. Four High mode tells the intelligent locking multi-disc differential to lock, providing a permanently locked 50:50 torque distribution.[4] The front and rear drive shafts are fully locked, forcing them to rotate at the same speed regardless of tractive conditions. Four Low mode also tells the intelligent locking multi-disc differential to lock, however it instructs the BorgWarner transfer case to select low range off road reduction gearing.[4] Reduction gearing is utilized to reduce the vehicle’s speed to a manageable crawl, and to increase (multiply) the supplied torque coming from the engine. Thus the drive wheels have ample torque to move the vehicle at low speeds. It is also used to control downward speeds while descending steep gradients and to improve the vehicle’s off road crawl ratio.

Both Four High mode and Four Low mode cannot be used on pavement as "driveline binding" and "torque windup" can occur, causing damage to the four-wheel-drive system.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
9XK5eGi.jpg

5k towing aint bad for a "light truck" and all the gadgets are cool if it is priced well.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
In 4-Auto, yes. In 4WD no, you get a true 50/50 split. The Ford Transfer Case is a BorgWarner "TOD" case, as used on the older explorers/expeditions under the ControlTrac marketing name. Quote taken below from ControlTrac's wiki page

dude im thinking about this more, and i don't know if it's the whole story....

because i feel that on those fords mentioned, the front and rear tires can spin at different rates from eachother while in 4wd, where if it were to truly lock, all four tires would be same speed?

i dunno. spitballin' here.

i feel like [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] could drop some knowledge here.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

because i feel that on those fords mentioned, the front and rear tires can spin at different rates from eachother while in 4wd, where if it were to truly lock, all four tires would be same speed?

It really depends on if it's a true t case or a center differential. A diff can vary power front to rear just like an axle diff can vary power to each wheel depending on traction. The terminology makes it sound like there some sort of torque splitting in there. I doubt many vehicles produced these days are strictly fully locked (without an option for torque split) front to rear.

Found this article.

4x4 Systems of Today and Tomorrow - Technical Articles - Four Wheeler Magazine

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL

but then what about the "tire skip" when turning in 4x4 mode. Isn't that because everything is locked to the same speed but since your turning that one tire is trying to move faster to cover more ground

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The two wheels and t case are still all connected even being open, all 3 are fighting each other because the inner wheel isn't turning as far as the outer. If you hold two of the 3 things stationary you can't turn the third. So if you hold the axle yoke and one of the wheels, you still can't turn the other wheel.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What Really Makes The Chevy Colorado ZR2 So Impressive

But the short story is:

Standard shocks are basically cylinders with a stack of metal discs that that are all different levels of stiffness. Some are thick and hard to bend, some you could flex between two fingers. The science of suspension, typically, involves figuring out what order and size to build that stack of discs so the fluid inside a shock tube flows in such a way that the shock provides the right feedback in turns and cousin in bumps while maintaining stability.

A spool valve shock does away with that shim stack and replaces it with, well, spool valves. Conceptually they perform the same function– regulating fluid flow in such a way that the shock can seamlessly switch between keeping your car planted and absorbing impacts.

The spool value technology is theoretically superior primarily because it’s much more precise. While traditional shocks are backing on bending metal, the spool valve has exactly-designed pin-holes that supposedly provide much better consistency and specific tuning.

Practically speaking with the ZR2, this should translate to better on-road and off-road performance without sacrificing either.

This type of tech is typically found on F1 cars, and has only made its way to the street in a small handful of applications. As to how the high-speed, flat-surface F1 racing concepts carried over to off-road: basically everything just got bigger!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info